The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1940-1942 National New Yorker For Sale
Al Schafer

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 9:00 pm    

For sale - a 1940 - 1942 six string National New Yorker and Geib case. Both are in very good condition, considering their age. There are minor nicks and scratches on the guitar consistent with its age. I have replaced the tuners because one of the tuner pegs was missing when I bought it, and have installed Jason Lollar magnets to replace the original magnets, which became weak due to age. As far as I know, everything else is original. This guitar has the relatively rare individually wound coils, and has excellent tone. Included is the original amphenol cord, and also a modern 20 foot amphenol-1/4 inch cord, as well as an adapter to a 1/4 inch plug. The serial number is 1723G. This is definitely a collector's item and a great sounding instrument! Asking $975, including shipping within the US.

Al Schafer

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 9:05 pm     1940-1942 National New Yorker For Sale

Correction - one of the tuner buttons was missing when I bought it, not a tuner peg.

Tom Mack

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 11:08 am     New Yorker tuners

Beautiful guitar Al! Surprised you haven't received any offers for it yet. It's in a little better shape than mine serial number 3175G. I think this vintage New Yorker has the best sounding pickup. I was wondering where you got the replacement tuners with metal knobs? Some of mine rattle and I just broke one trying to tighten it up.

Thanks,
Tom Mack

Bryan Martin

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 7:40 pm    

Tom,

Stewmac sells them. Check out the Golden Age tuners. Make sure to check all screw and post spacings, and string hole heights.

Don't mean to divert the thread from a fabulous steel. I have a 1955 and just looked for tuners today.

Cheers, Bryan

Al Schafer

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 8:11 pm     National New Yorker Tuners

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the nice comments. I got the tuners from a place called SportHiTech which I found on Ebay. They had the best prices for replacement Kluson tuners. I just put the original covers back on over the replacement tuners. Here is photo without the covers. You're right - the pickups on these do sound great!

Aloha,
Al

Tom Mack

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:52 am     Kluson tuners

Thanks for the tuner tips guys. I ended up ordering official Kluson tuners from Amazon
For about $35.00
They're arriving tomorrow, I'll let you know how they turn out.

Tom