The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bluetooth Headphone Amp
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 7:22 am    

Is there a bluetooth headphone amplifier that will connect to either my Android Tablet, or my Windows laptop(not at the same time of course) both ways? By both ways i mean, from my tablet to the amplifier bluetooth then to my headphones bluetooth? I need a little better quality and a tad bit more volume especially on my 10" Android tablet. No wires either way. I can't find one that works this way. They all have to be wired to either the tablet, or the headphones. Can ya point me to a few selections that won't break the bank? I'm using Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Headphones, and a Samsung 10" tablet, and a new HP Windows laptop. Thanks

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 9:01 am    

No matter how hard I try, I don't understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Bluetooth headphones typically connect to a bluetooth-enabled audio source via the bluetooth connection, and you wirelessly stream audio, source to headphones - no need for anything in the middle. What am I missing?

Quality headphones normally offer more than enough volume if it's maxed out at both ends, but audio quality is a variable, depending on the capabilities of the devices. Not all bluetooth devices are created equal. CD quality bluetooth audio is achievable, but only if all devices are capable.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 12:09 pm    

Thanks Dave, i have one of the best blue tooth headphones available today. Have you listened to some homemade youtube steel guitar videos lately? Or live recordings from clubs? And on a android tablet to boot? I'm not a computer genius by any means, but i agree bluetooth is straight forward. I tried the app enhancers, they don't work with youtube. They build quality preamps for this purpose. To enhance and boost volume & eq for poor quality recordings and video. I wanted to keep wireless both ways is what i was referring to. Appreciated

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 3:28 pm    

George Redmon wrote:
Have you listened to some homemade youtube steel guitar videos lately? Or live recordings from clubs?....I tried the app enhancers, they don't work with youtube. They build quality preamps for this purpose.

OK, George, I think I understand now. I don't have a solution.

Yes, equalization can cut/boost audio freqs, if they exist in the source material to begin with. But that only works to an extent; if the source audio is so bad that some frequencies are poorly captured, or missing, there's not much equalization can do. And usually, if the source contains the required frequencies, the playback application already has EQ adjustments to adjust them.

Image/video editing is the same; if the source doesn't contain necessary components, there are limits to what can be done in post-processing.

Good luck finding something as a workaround.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 3:33 pm    

Thanks dave, i kinda figure almost anything's an improvement. Guy's use their phones to record some of this stuff in their garage, then email me and ask how i like the great tone their new pickup gave'em.....aaah yeah. Thanks much for your thoughts Dave.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 11:39 am    

Hey Dave, thanks so much for the news. I tried several headphones and i liked the Bose QuietComfort 35 II bluetooth the best out of the 6 or 8 i tried. And man are these things quiet.... i most generally think of Bose stuff as over priced hype. But i think they hit the mark on these. So they help some. I may just have to wait like you suggested for the software to catch up. I can live with it. Appreciate your research on this stuff which i actually know very little about. You guys here are great. Thank You so much.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 4:39 pm    

George Redmon wrote:
Appreciate your research on this stuff which i actually know very little about.

Well, George, by now, you know I deleted my post. Why? The reason is that I downloaded those apps I referenced, and I didn't see any mention of bluetooth audio. So I didn't want to send you up blind alleys.

The things I read about the up-coming Android OS improvements are probably real, I just didn't find them in the apps available now.

I think it's still promising - we'll just have to see when the new OS is released.