The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson guitars?
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 3:38 am    

I am a newbie and not familiar with the name, can anyone help me out. I am thinking of making an offer on this guitar?
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/d/pedal-steel-guitar/6473669436.html

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 5:31 am    

The Jackson family built the Sho-Bud guitars since the early 60s. These Jackson steels are moden guitars, built very well. This is an exceptional deal!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 6:20 am    

After all these years, the Jacksons are still inventive. They had a lot to do with helping their Dad, Shot come up with new ideas.

I thought ght about interviewing them as I don't live far from them and making the audio public.

https://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com

Ron

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 2 Feb 2018 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 6:26 am    

Is that a pull/release changer system? There appears to be some springs on the keyhead end of the guitar.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 6:38 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Is that a pull/release changer system? There appears to be some springs on the keyhead end of the guitar.

I don't know enough to answer your question and I have not spoken to the owner.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 7:21 am    

These are pretty neat guitars Jerry, if I recall correctly it is a clever variant on the pull-release theme. Eat coast Steeler Karen Sarkisian had one of these, she might be a good person to find through the forum and ask. I think these get pretty high marks from their owners.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 9:25 am    

it is probably a total of a six hour drive for me to get it so I have to do some research to make sure. I emailed him and offered 1500.00 but have not heard back. Also I won't have the cash till next week.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 9:48 am    

If I'm not mistaken, the raises are done on the right end of the guitar and the lowers on the left end.
Regarding the lowers, I believe they are set up for specific strings from the factory and there is not changing them.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 10:26 am    

Jerry,Yes Karen either has one of had one,I played one in Phoenix a few years ago and it was a really great guitar!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 12:23 pm     Jackson Guitars

If you go over & try out this guitar & it fits you in the way that it's made, you'll be a happy camper & that guitar is $700 less than I sold mine for.

Good Luck

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 2:03 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:

The raises are at the changer end and the lowers work in the tuning keyhead.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 11:56 pm    

Jackson guitars are awesome! I play a Blackjack Custom and it's the best steel I've played. The Jackson family-David, Harry, and Dawn know how to build wonderful steels with great playability, sound, tone, looks, and pedal action!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:44 am    

I would like to take the time to thank the two forum members who after reading this thread tried to buy the guitar out from under me by having it shipped. Thank you again. I have now learned never to post a link asking about something I might want to buy, I thought about it before posting, I should have thought more. I know all is fair in love and war, but it still ticks me off. We did make a deal and if it is still available next weekend I will drive over and pick it up, I can't free up the time till then. So if you two feel like driving and you can get there before me, it's yours.
Sincerely.
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Dragon on 3 Feb 2018 3:09 am; edited 3 times in total

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:51 am     Re: Jackson Guitars

Charley Bond wrote:
If you go over & try out this guitar & it fits you in the way that it's made, you'll be a happy camper & that guitar is $700 less than I sold mine for.

Good Luck

I hope the gent who owns it knows how to play, because I am just a beginner and really don't know how to evaluate one. If he plays it and it sounds good, and I play it and I like it, I guess that is the best I can do. That is one reason I asked here about it because I have no one nearby who plays that could check it out for me, and I have not heard much about these particular PSGS. But first, it still has to be there next week.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 3:11 am    

Jerry,If you'd like I can go out there with you and check it out?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 3:53 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Jerry,If you'd like I can go out there with you and check it out?

If it is still available I will be calling the gent this week. If he is a player he should be able to demonstrate it for me. As I stated, if it sounds good and in tune with him playing it, and I am satisfied with it, that, along with the recommendations here, should suffice. I thank you for the offer but that is quite a haul for you. It is over an hour to get to my house and then to the middle of Mass and back. Buy the way, I started designing the bell cranks and fretboards for the ZB. I have drawn them in solidworks and have programmed them. I used the GFI bell crank you gave me as an example but shortened it and made stubbier due to the room constrictions in the ZB. I have 32 blanks cut out for the bell cranks and should machine them next week. I have the material for the front rail cut to size but still have to make some decisions before I machine it. Remember, if you need any parts made just ask.
Thanx again for the offer.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 4:38 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Regarding the lowers, I believe they are set up for specific strings from the factory and there is not changing them.

does anyone know if this is the case?

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 4:56 am    

Erv is totally correct. Great sounding guitars but limited with advanced setups IMHO. No split tunings and only 1 lower per string. Hence no Franklin pedal options if you have the knee lever raise set to lower the 5th string a half tone. This may not matter to you at this stage of the game but at some point as your knowledge of the instrument grows you may want to try other tunings.

No disparity towards the guitar. Just trying to give some advice.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 4:56 am    

Jerry,Ross Shafer sent a hat for you to my place,hasn't gotten here yet,but as soon as it does I'll let you know.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 7:11 am    

mtulbert wrote:
Erv is totally correct. Great sounding guitars but limited with advanced setups IMHO. No split tunings and only 1 lower per string. Hence no Franklin pedal options if you have the knee lever raise set to lower the 5th string a half tone. This may not matter to you at this stage of the game but at some point as your knowledge of the instrument grows you may want to try other tunings.

I will be 66 soon. I am sure that if I bought this guitar I don't have enough time left to learn all that could be learned on it. Heck, I have been playing lead 6 string standard guitar for 50 years and still have a long way to go and a lot to learn on that. Also, I am a machinist so I might be able to
modify things that cannot be modified? But thank you for the input. I need an explanation of split tunings, I hear the phrase a lot but don't know what it is?

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 7:20 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Jerry,Ross Shafer sent a hat for you to my place,hasn't gotten here yet,but as soon as it does I'll let you know.

Yes, let me know and I will stop over again, maybe by then I will have a guitar and you could show me an exorcise or two?

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 8:59 am    

mtulbert wrote:

Not exactly true.. while it is more difficult than a standard all pull, you can get multiple lowers on the Sam string. Here is the tuning for my Jackson 12 Blackjack tuned to a Sacred Steel tuning.. Chuck Campbell and Robert Randolf among other Sacred Steel players also play/played Jackson.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 11:29 am    

Jerry, BUY THE GUITAR and spend the next few years learning. Don't sweat the technical stuff.

If, sometime in the future, you feel it's inadequate for your needs, you can sell it and buy something else. Chances are you will never feel that way.

Jackson makes excellent instruments. I'm not familiar with this particular model, but the ones I've played have all been 1st class.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 11:34 am    

Jerry Dragon wrote:
...the ...forum members who after reading this thread tried to buy the guitar out from under me by having it shipped.

NOT COOL. We're not supposed to do things like that.

Jerry, I apologize on behalf of the vast majority of us who show respect for each other and treat each other honestly.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:14 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Jerry Dragon wrote:
...the ...forum members who after reading this thread tried to buy the guitar out from under me by having it shipped.

NOT COOL. We're not supposed to do things like that.

Jerry, I apologize on behalf of the vast majority of us who show respect for each other and treat each other honestly.

just another step along the way, we live and we learn.