The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pull-release question
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 8:02 am    

A friend of mine has a no-name (extended) E9-12 pull/release guitar that needed some help. Unlike some pull-release guitars, this one is capable of double raises and raise/lower on the same string. It does not appear to be any standard (i.e., Marlen, Sho-Bud, etc.) changer but possibly a home made job. I got it back on track except for one problem. His RKR lowers 5 and 10 to A#. The fifth string does not return all the way; needs a jiggle on the A pedal to bring it back. Normally I would adjust the tension-spring screw at the end plate, but this guitar has no such feature. There is a spring attached to the lever cross bar that might be serving a similar function. If so, perhaps this spring needs to be replaced(?)

I am attaching a couple of pics he sent me when he got the guitar, but I will take a few more and post them when I get home from work. The larger screws at the top of the changer end funtion like other pull releases I have ssen (sho bud Mavericks). The smaller ones below tune the raises on the strings that also lower (4, 5, 8, and 10).

Any thoughts appreciated. It is actually a cool sounding steel. Full of vintage vibe.

Dan

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 11:33 am    

ANY thoughts, O.K. here goes. On these old buggers,
it's hard to tell, but I would start by just using
my finger at various places along the linkage of the
offending string. If I found a place where just a slight nudge would bring it back, I would consider
putting a helper spring there. This AFTER I was sure there were no friction issues along the linkeage
plus along the linkeage of the other string that is being activated. On a lot of these old "hacksaw. file, and 4" grinder" built guitars, not much thought was given to proper leverage ratios, so if
it didn't quite feel right, stick a spring on it!
Been there, done that, GUILTY!

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 10:21 am    

I’m resurrecting this ancient thread because I have to ask: How is it ever possible to have a double lower on the pull release guitar? Would that string have a rod held under spring tension and the knee levers push collars on that rod two different distances? Raises are a simple add on - but lowers are not so easy.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 1:01 pm    

If two knee levers pushed on the same rod, one lever could have an adjusting screw to stop its travel when the string had reached a semitone drop, while the other lever could have more travel, allowing the string to drop a full tone.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 8:39 pm    

Half tone tuners on the lowering rod, and the lowering rod held at the "open note" by a different stop.
Just like the raises, but working the other direction.