The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S10 Upgraded Guitar
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:45 pm    

This is a project that I finally finished. It started as a Carter Starter and I did some serious/costly upgrades. I added an Emmons neck, a Fessenden changer, BL705 PuP, and routed the back of the body for future pedal/lever additions. I mounted the neck and changer with washers in between them and the body and welded the nut to the neck. The guitar sounds and sustains in an awesome way. I installed extra wide washers underneath the neck and did the tricks to make the left moving knee levers have a solid stop. The right moving levers are upgrades from the norm. I sweet blasted the endplate and went for the finish that GFI used on some of their guitars. I moved the jack from the bottom to the side. Look at the pics and you’ll notice that there is a return spring hole out of place on the endplate and the machining isn’t perfect in a couple of places. Also included is a case in almost new condition.
$900.00 plus shipping and fees in the lower 48.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 28 Jan 2018 10:36 am; edited 3 times in total

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 9:41 pm    

New Price......see above.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Matthew Rutherford

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 9:06 am    

Pm sent!

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 7:41 am    

Ttt

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 10:33 am    

Ttt....

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 12:18 pm    

Mr. Marty,
I figure the washers under the tuner are there to level the strings across the fretboard?
I see that there are more than just washers. Question answered.

I'll bet that this would make a decent steel to learn/play on
...........Pat.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 12:33 pm    

Pat,
The washers are there because there’s washers underneath the neck and changer. Then the key stock blocks between the keyhead and washers was chosen at a specific height so the correct height could be attained.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 3:56 pm    

Looks GREAT Marty!!!!! This would be a good deal for someone.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 4:36 pm    

Thank you Sonny. I’ll post more pics that will show the complete rodded undercarriage. I’ve played it allot and the tone and sustain is impressive. I learned a whole bunch while upgrading this guitar. Maybe someday I’ll build one from scratch and use what I learned to customize it just the way I want.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 7:22 pm    

P.M. sent

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 12:45 pm    

The Carter Starter has a tone better than most steel guitars that I think is due to the welded up steel undercarriage and plywood body. Sometimes more expensive doesn't equal better tone. The stock Starters were picked a little green. I have modded one myself. With that full blown changer it would be good to go. You can put additional bellcranks on it and the copedent can be changed to an extent. You just can remove any bell cranks because they are welded to the cross shafts. This is a great deal for someone for what it is. Put a pro keyhead on it that's tall enough for the neck and you'll have a pro guitar. Those old Sho-Bud Permanents everyone raves about the great tone had the same kind of welded on bellcranks. Go figure.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 1:19 pm    

Thank you David. I do have an Emmons SKH keyhead that should work on this guitar. If it doesn’t sell I’ll likely install it, install some professional knee levers, add some cross shafts/extra pulls, and and keep it—-but based upon my current schedule that’ll be after 2020. The guitar and parts will live a long time in the closet...Lol.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 4:30 pm     Project guitar reply

Hey Marty, I would go ahead and put an Emmons key head on it, it will look better and still sound good, when the Carter key head has to be raised because the guitar didn't have a raised neck before, but now has an Emmons neck may as well match everything.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 5:05 pm    

Steve, I really don’t have the time to do the work in the forseeable future. I agree about the aesthetics(IF it fit) but it sounds and plays well now.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 5:37 pm    

I might need it if it receives an Emmons keyhead with old klusons! At 20 feet one might think it's an Emmons. Sure doesn't fall short in sound.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 3:54 am    

I sure wish it was complete. I'm looking for a lower end steel, for my Grandson, who is taking a big interest in the steel guitar. This would be the thicket, if it was finished, but at his age, and being over 6 hours from me, it would be to hard to get it done. It really looks good, and a great job you have done.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 3:57 am    

Marty, is the rodding the only thing left on it? Maybe I could do it here at my home, then send it to them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 7:27 am    

Folks,
It is finished. I forgot to update that.

It is Emmons setup on the pedals and:

-LkL-Raises 4&8
-LKR-Lowers 4&8
-RKL- Lowers 5 a 1/2 Tone
-RKR-Lowers 2 a 1/2 Tone

Of course, with the upgraded changer more pulls could be added.

I’m not home to take pics of the undercarriage or I would provide them now.

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 9:02 am     S10 Upgrade

PM and email sent.
Thank you Marty

Eugene Kindle

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 11:19 pm     your guitar for sale

Marty, I'm very interested & the price is good. My only problem is my entire PSG experience has been limited to an 8 string Fender 400. I know nothing about rods & bellcranks, copedents, knee pedals, & lots more. I'd need some expert guidance just to do anything, but I've been wanting to do the move to 10 strings for quite a while. I'm a member so if you will, please PM me with price & shipping (I'll send my address to you). Being 79 yrs old & retired, I just can not afford what most are asking. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks for your post. Monty