The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Easy Waylon songs for a newbie?
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 10:21 am    

[I realize, given Waylon's PSG player, how ridiculous this questions might be]

Waylon Jennings is probably my favorite musician...top 3 for sure. I'm not sure I knew it early on, but a large part of it, I think, is Moon's contributions to the sound. If it weren't for Waylon, I'm quite certain I wouldn't even own a PSG now.

So...as a newbie (a couple months at PSG, and several years on lap steel), what might be some good Waylon songs to try to learn? I'd happily take some TAB if anyone had anything to offer up, but I'm also willing to (attempt to) dissect a song myself. I think that's a good way to really get to know a song, and build one's library of licks and such.

So, just some titles of songs that be figure-out-able and playable(aren't super technical or don't require pedals or levers beyond the Emmons 3x4 setup) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Andy Henriksen on 26 Jan 2018 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 10:26 am    

Well, Mooney's tuning was a little bit different but you can get most of that twang with the 3rd and 4th strings.

Try Rainy Day Woman for a good dose of Mooney. I'll look around on the forum for a link to tab for it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 10:34 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=271363&highlight=rainy+woman
Here's a link for some Rainy Day Woman tabs. If you search the forum, you can probably find tabs for other tunes too. Have fun Exclamation

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 12:34 pm    

I have some Waylon songs tabbed out.
Check my list under music for sale: "Classic Country". Very Happy
Erv

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 12:45 pm    

Mooney was a lick machine, and the thing about an interesting lick is that it's sometimes tricky, especially for a beginner. Mooney was frequently featured in up-tempo tunes too, so you're often faced with complexity and speed when working out his stuff.

So... I would say pick your favorite Waylon/Mooney song, no matter how difficult, and work on that. The passion you have for that tune will make you really buckle down and help you get over a lot of the too-complex-for-a-newbie hurdles.

You could also go for some low-hanging fruit and start with a slower ballad. Waylon's "Waltz Me to Heaven" has a nice tasty solo in the middle that's custom made for working out on your own.

Good luck!

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 4:11 pm    

Pull up songs on youtube and click the settings tab. You can slow them down without changing the key and work out parts.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 4:19 am    

Hi,

Good Hearted Woman or anything from the Greatest Hits recording of that era would be where I would start. Ha, actually that is kinda where I did start with my first road gig back in the day. There are lots of cool things on that recording.

Robert