The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  14 String Wright pedal steel
Edward Toro

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 12:10 pm    

Can anyone give me some info/background on this 14-string stee1? I know it"s a Wright Custom. But maybe some info on the year, value and quality?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 3:35 pm    

He will probably chime in here, but if not, shoot David Wright a text or email - his father, Chuck Wright, built it. He went on to form Sierra Steel Guitars - you can read a little of the history here:

http://www.sierrasteels.com/history.html

I would guess by how it looks that this was built in that interim period of the early 70's.

Value will be hard to determine - these are not very common. With the exception of Emmons Push/Pulls, guitars from the early 70's tend not to be high-dollar instruments - they lack the total vintage value of earlier instruments (Bigsby's, 60's P/P) but also are not as refined as the instruments that began appearing 10 years later which are very similar to steels still being manufactured today (Zums, Emmon's LeGrande). Also, while there were some famous (in our world, anyway) 14 string players back then (Julian Tharpe comes to mind), it has not maintained popularity.

I would say you could try $1500, but be willing to negotiate. (I just checked the thread linked below - that may be too much - maybe start at $1200?) I would suggest also putting it on other sites like Ebay and Reverb - the bigger audience you reach, the greater the likelihood of finding a buyer looking for a 14-string steel. And be patient. You can also search the forum for Sierra "Crown" 14 string steels and see what they sold for - this looks like a precursor to that model. However, the Crown was a pretty popular model, so parts exist. This one? Definately an odd bird.

Check out this thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=284117&sid=2eb920e60337261af8a69ff9aceb8245

Having said all of that, someone might come on here and tell you (and me) that that guitar is the holy grail, and I just did not know it! Good luck!

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 3:59 am    

Edward,
That guitar was made in the early 70's in Dallas Tx I think.., as Douglas said.. My Dad built the first 14 string for Julian Thorp just like this one but white.. The guitar is built like a tank, and weights about the same..as far as value, whatever one is willing to pay...
the guitar should play well if it is set up right,

David................

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 9:03 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 9:03 am    

I don't quite understand that extra piece of hardware for the center 7 strings located in the keyhead.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 9:35 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 9:38 am    

Very good. Very Happy
Erv

Edward Toro

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 2:37 pm    

Thanks so much guy's. Not looking to sell it. Just got it waiting for delivery. I like the fact that it is rare and from someone who is pretty important in the world of pedal steel guitars. Also, the fact that it comes from the guy who started Sierra. I know it will play and sound great. I have a S12 Sierra (White) that I love so that's why I got this. Surprised not much interest in a rare guitar from a historic maker. To me, I scored! Thanks for the comments ..I welcome more.
Honored that Dave chimed in.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 3:40 pm    

Edward Toro wrote:
...I like the fact that it is rare and from someone who is pretty important in the world of pedal steel guitars.

Have you discovered who owned it originally?

Danny Pendleton (Starland Vocal Band) also played a 14-stringer, but his was a black Sierra, as I recall.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 6:54 am    

Edward, post back when you find out? If its' for sale, etc. I have always wanted one of these just to sort of "have".

~Bill~

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 7:03 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
Just like "string tree(s)" on a Telecaster or Stratocaster style of guitar with almost no string "break-over angle" at the nut. The device keeps the long string length between the nut and tuners lined up and also puts downward pressure on strings 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 so that they line up on level with the holes in the tuning key posts. I've seen and played a Wright S14 almost identical to the red one posted above, still in the possession of the original owner, which had this device and it does what it's supposed to do.
MLA

I thought also, maybe I'm wrong about this, but on these guitars with that long key-head, that center piece, does it not also reduce "behind the nut" harmonics? Seems to me, Reece explained this to me and Bud Carter gave me a "lesson" about this phenomena at some point? I specifically recall Reece telling me about this when I very first took beginner lessons from him.

This is one cool guitar. David, your Dad is a genius.

~Bill~

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 9:01 am    

I would be a little concerned about the friction on those strings when it has to rub on that hold down strip.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 3:30 am    

As I remember he did the keyhead like that to kill overtones..
Erv, they were rollers, so no friction...to speak off..
Bill C, Thank you, he gave a big part of his life Designing and building Steel Guitars..

I just received some pictures of a lap steel my Dad built in the mid 50s..He gave me one for Christmas one year, A Friend just bought on in great shape, if you look at the key head, you'll see some strings going though a screw, overtones??? wish he was still here to answer some questions...

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 6:05 am    

Gene Fields had a device on some of his early GFI guitars, which I don't think had an all pull changer. I might be mistaken, but I actually think these had a sort of modified push pull, but due to the harmonics and overtones ringing behind the nut, Gene installed these devices. I found this picture of one holding down strings 4567 behind the nut.

David, that is a great picture. You had hair.

~Bill~

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 11:57 am    

There is a gap between the 6th and 7th pedals.
Would that 7th pedal be placed where it is for right-footin' it or is there a missing pedal?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Edward Toro

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 7:48 am     14 string Wright Custom

Ok, I will try to find out who owned it originally.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 1:47 am     Psg

Wonder how that would work for ringing strings?

Edward Toro

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 12:40 pm     Wright 14 String pedal steel guitar

I have this Wright 14-string for sale on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wright-14-String-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Rare/263483349052?hash=item3d58d4d83c:g:OgEAAOSwRLZaexRK

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2018 9:23 pm    

David, the screws behind the nut are there to raise the string tension of the unwound strings.