The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Junior Brown’s pedal guit-steel?
Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 10:23 pm    

Is anyone aware of any videos of Junior Brown playing the pedal guit-steel that he had built a while back?

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 1:40 am    

Did you SEARCH on YouTube? I Just did,and they're dozens of them. Actually, it came up with 4,150,000, but that's approximate, I haven't had time to watch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=junior+brown

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 5:55 am    

No videos of the "pedal" guit steel though.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 5:57 am    

Do you mean he actually had a 'pedal' guit'steel built? Would it have been built by Stevens? I've always wanted to own a guit'steel but they are very expensive...something like $14000, so if they designed a model with some sort of pedal set-up it must be worth an absolute fortune.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 6:19 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=163606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

No vids that I can find, though.

Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:58 am    

Yep, that's the one!
And yeah smart-ass Dave Mason, of course I searched youtube first. Razz

That contraption is pretty ingenious. I've seen Junior twice but both times were in the late-90s/early-00s when he use Big Red pretty exclusively. I've never heard him play with pedals and am curious to know how he works it into his repertoire....

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 8:30 am    

That's pretty cool and probably a lot less expensive than a regular Guit-Steel. ...assuming it's just a garden variety Sho~Bud there with extended pedal rods. I'd love to see and hear him play it.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 2:41 pm    

Four million videos and not a one of that, I guess it must not sound very good.... Very Happy And funny things happen to "value" when people evolve from being "a guy who makes guitars" to being a "famous luthier to the stars." Like you could saw off a clump of wood and stick it on a ShoBud with a Fender neck stuck to it, and it would cost as much as a Shobud and a Fender neck and a clump of wood plus your labor time. I don't eee-ven wanna know how much for that thing but I'd bet MORE than the non-p.

Except and unless Junior were to successfully argue that, because he's playing it, that will boost Mike Stevens' builder profile a few branches up the beanstock, in which case it'll be the NEXT ones that are more than $14,000. According to this book, Mike Stevens really wants to be a cowboy when he grows up, so I don't think he'd be too susceptable to sweet-talking as it pertains to discounted price:
https://www.amazon.com/Electrified-Art-Contemporary-Electric-Guitar/dp/1402747748
(This is a coffee-table type book but reasonably-priced and quite a bit of depth about the little guys. Even the aspiring cowboys....)

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 3:09 pm    

I don't think he plays the pedal guit-steel much on gigs, if at all.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 9:38 pm    

I saw a video where he talks about the pedal guit-steel-it's the fourth guit-steel that was built for him. He said the guitar is a stick for a neck and wood big enough for a pickup and the steel is a Sho-Bud ten string pedal steel. He stands up to play it because he doesn't like to sit down and sing. His main guit-steel, though, is the second one built for him, "Big Red". He nicknamed the pedal guit-steel "Old Bud"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger