The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Repairing paint damages on Stratocaster
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 12:52 pm    

b0b, if this is in the wrong section, please move. Thanks.

1. For all those who have done this type of repair, what are the steps to use to repair a major "ding" down to the wood with surrounding paint looking like it could flake off in the future ?

2. Where would I find a small amount of of paint similar to the "sage green" color.

Thanks,
Stevet

The second photo show better the color while the first shows the offending "ding".

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Last edited by steve takacs on 18 Jan 2018 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 1:33 pm    

My local paint store can match any color from a paint chip, check with yours, they may have the same tech.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 1:03 pm    

nice color.

this is a can of worms for sure. you can patch, but unless you have the same color and the same gun set up, you cant fix this so it will be invisible.

so if you just want to stabilize the damage so it wont flake off, go to a good hobby store and get a small bottle of 1 sec super glue. dont use the drug store variety. the good grade of fast super glue will run under the finish and lock it all down and keep it from flaking off for who knows how long. dont puddle it on...just let it run under the finish and thats all!! use a thin applicator so you can control the flow.

if the wood is actually dented, then this is the only thing you can do. with the finish being shattered like it is, i would be very surprised if the wood didnt have a dent. sometimes you can steam that out, but with that much finish damage, you will likely have some flake off during the steaming.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 2:01 am    

Bill and Chris, thanks for the positive suggestions.

Bill, that step-by-step process you outlined was exactly what I was looking for. If I can prevent the chips from flaking off using your "running glue" trick , that will be one huge victory.
Do I need ourt on an undercoat prior to painting the bare wooden area green?

Chris, I don't know how easy it will be to match the " sage-green-silver-flake color" but I will check out a few paint stores when I return to the USA in June .

Thanks for your time , Guys,
Stevet

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 9:12 am    

Call it a "relic," bump it a half dozen times, and double the price when you sell it!

steve takacs

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 11:55 am     Moved To Music Section

Good point, Ken. Then I could offer a discount on it and get back to the price at which I purchased it

Now that it has been placed in the MUSIC section, I doubt I will be getting further input to my questions. Stevet

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 11:38 pm    

Steve, check out a product called Glu Boost. I have been using for some time with absolutely FANTASTIC results !!!
They have a great product and a lot of info on you tube for how to use it. The one that you would be interested in is called "Fill n' Finish."
Check it out.... If you have any questions about it, PM me. For the record I am not affiliated with the company in any way other than sending them my $$$ LOL