The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  UPS shipping
Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 1:16 pm    

This may not be the right place for this discussion but I feel compelled to try to help fellow steelers avoid frustrating experiences when shipping items purchased or sold on the Forum. For reasons including (but not limited to) ambiguous information published on the web, broad and unpredictable delivery times, higher prices and poor customer service I have shipped or received my last package through UPS. From this day forward I will use Fed Ex or USPS. I strongly urge other forum members to do the same. Thanks Gary

Last edited by Gary Thorsen on 22 Jan 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 1:21 pm    

Last edited by Damir Besic on 22 Jan 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ross Fellrath

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 2:36 pm    

I'm a FedEx guy myself. Had one steel damaged by UPS. Perfect record with FedEx and cheaper too (FedEx ground).

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 2:47 pm     the same?

Here's the results of their last job for me.

Last edited by Gary Thorsen on 22 Jan 2018 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:21 pm    

Any employee working for ANY carrier can drop a box. Who you choose to use as a shipping carrier depends more on your region than anything. I lived in a place where UPS sucked, and now I live in a place where UPS is the preferred shipper over Fedex. USP, Fedex, USPS ALL make mistakes.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:23 pm    

And if you think that the post office is going to care more about your package then UPS, then I want some of what you're smoking.

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:31 pm     dropping boxes

This looks more like a sledge hammer was taken to the package, with intent to do damage.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:37 pm    

Gary lets see a picture of the box and packing that was around that case with the hole/crack in it??
Ricky

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 4:06 pm     pic

It's a puncture wound Ricky. Seemed to have enough foam and packing peanuts galore....I think Fragile Handle with Care means "DESTROY" doesn't it?

oops, accidently included a picture of something that would make you smile - haha! It's for sale too!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 8:03 pm    

Wow Gary; yes it certainly came down from a long drop, onto some kind of metal pipe/pole/steck...etc..
I've been having even more success; when I pack with handle hanging out....>so they will carry(I've seen them carry with handle a few times I caught them) as opposed to picking up with very mad look on their face...and so you can only guess the drop off after that look...ha.
Wow that two-tone Professional looks like one of the 3 I have done?? is it?? anyway....how much?? can you send some pics under and couple more...I can sell it for you> send to> sshawaiian@austin.rr.com
Ricky

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 8:58 pm    

Hard to say what happened there, but definitely fell on something or a corner of something else fell on it.

I use this rigid foam insulation around the case and usually double box, but I'm not sure if that or anything else would have prevented this sort of injury.

I don't know of anything else one could have done there. I put soft padding inside the case, but that would not have helped here.

I swore off [after I swore at] UPS years ago after they busted up a keyboard for me. Every heavy and/or bulky item I ship goes FedEx. Zero problems, faster delivery, better price over 20 yrs.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 2:21 am    

Gary, sorry about the damage to,your case and guitar. Could a forklift have been the cause of the dsmage?

1. Did UPS pay you an adequate amount for the repair to the damaged areas?

2. I was under the impression the seller initiates the claim if there is damage. Is that correct?

3. I also ship heavy items with the handle out even though the handle can be damaged. I also use stiff cardboard corners in which to place the four corners of the case.

4. Forum members have advised NOT to use those styrofoam peanuts as they do not protect well Since they tend to shift.

5 Jerry's suggestions work for me,

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 7:48 am     Fed Ex Sho Bud

Thanks guys, all good advice. I'd have to be smoking something to EVER ship with UPS again haha! This guitar came to me yesterday after more than 24 hours of waiting at the house. It was IN the UPS truck in Portland for four days. I am not looking forward to the claims process but I'm guessing months of waiting are involved. I'll get some pics of the Sho Bud to you Ricky. It was a Texas guitar that spent many years in a closet, although it shows some bare dings between the necks. Maybe it's time for this one to come home, where they PLAY country music! Thanks

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 11:43 am    

I had a claim with UPS on an HD24 hard disc recorder I had bought had shipped. It didn't take that long and I received 145.00 for cosmetic damage. (Bent rack ear, I straightened it out with a wrench)The seller had to initiate the claim.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 2:07 pm    

Have a friend in business here in Oz who shipped a 6" diameter by half inch thick ceramic polishing disc, used in the gem cutting industry, to a domestic client.
These things are the same hardness as Sapphire i.e. 9 on the Mohs scale - Diamond is 10.
It was very well packed & double boxed. When it arrived at the other end it was pulverised to dust!
After a claim for damage & a lot of argument, the shipping company admitted it had been run over by a fork lift truck. Rolling Eyes
Bottom line - they can ALL make mistakes! It's how they rectify that error, where the problems begin IMHO.
PS. as some of you know, I had a major issue with one company in the past. Mad

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 11:05 am     Shipping

I have had approx. 22 instruments shipped to me in last 3 months. Many for GUITARS 4 VETS Program. FEDEX FRAGILE GROUND has provided great packaging and service. NO marks of any kind on boxes. This includes 3 steel guitars of mine. Now shipping with FEDEX my Ray Walker steel to Canada. CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Mark Simpson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 4:57 pm    

I’ve been involved in the freight business for 30years...driving, dock work etc. From my experience all freight company’s...shipping or receiving are all the the same....Its a crap shoot...fork lifts flying around...people throwing , jamming forcing things , basically a total free for all. I’m having a Banjo shipped by UPS in the next week....got my fingers crossed..I’ll let you know how it works out

Mark Simpson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 5:07 pm    

I’ve been involved in the freight business for 30years...driving, dock work etc. From my experience all freight company’s...shipping or receiving are all the the same....Its a crap shoot...fork lifts flying around...people throwing , jamming forcing things , basically a total free for all. I’m having a Banjo shipped by UPS in the next week....got my fingers crossed..I’ll let you know how it works out

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 8:49 pm     crap shoot

Mark, Lynn Stafford uses the Fed Ex place east of the 205 mall, Sunnyside Rd, in a little shopping center just east of 205. I take my stuff there and have them pack it - really good service and they insure it when they pack stuff. It's actually cheaper than packing it yourself. I personally don't take anything for granted and make sure I loosen the strings, wrap and pack the instrument with foam AND put wood braces (two cut to length 2x4 ends) in the pedal bar compartment to keep the weight of the guitar from breaking through and banging around inside. Lynn also has an account with them and may help you out since he's only a few blocks away. I think these measures make it much less of a crap shoot and have NOT had a bad experience with them to date. Good luck, Gary