Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Owning a second steel for "back up"
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 12:43 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Pete Nicholls wrote:
The one thing that I found out about having a second guitar is to make sure that they both have the same string spacing. I didn't for a time, and always had an adjustment period when switching from one to the other. I now have two guitars with the same string spacing!

This is a good example of how different we are from each other.

Back in the 80s, I'd bring both my MSA and a Fender 3 neck stringmaster to gigs whenever possible, and switch back and forth between them. The different string spacing was never a problem. I never even thought about it.

Like I once wrote, one size does not fit all.

I have Mike's T8 Stringmaster, which I am bringing up to snuff because it sat under Mike's house for many years. I play my Carter out, and my ShoBud ProIII isset up for Cajun gigs - E9 on outer neck and Cajun G on the other.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 6:35 am    

I have three.
The one I gig with stays in the case until my next gig, another one setup at home to practice on and one setup for band rehearsal at our guitar players house.

I'm try to think of a practical reason to purchase
another one.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 10:10 am    

If weight is not a factor buy a double neck. You will find they sound much better. That is if you buy a quality instrument.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 3:50 pm    

Here is another consideration for working professionals, if you ever fly to gigs it's good to have a lightweight (less than 50 pounds in the case) guitar that can be easily checked at the airport without crazy overweight fees.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 4:13 pm    

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 9:04 pm    

It's hard for me to imagine getting by with just one pedal or non-pedal steel. After all these years I've come to really dislike setting them up and tearing them down. I'd much rather just walk in, sit down, tweak the tuning a bit, and play. Which is why I have a steel set up at home, another at a rehearsal place and a 3rd for gigging.

I appreciate that not everyone can afford such a luxury. But even if you can get some half-way decent steel for home you're way ahead.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 2:01 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Here's a side question.

If you have more than one steel, do you set them up identically (as I do,) or are they different from each other in some way?

I have 2 ZB's and a Sho~Bud Pro III that are setup entirely different. Actually I kind of like having to adjust to each as it builds mental and physical agility. Sometimes if a pair is setup side-by-side I'll practice a run on one then immediately jump to the second one to practice the run with very different knee levers. It feels like that reinforces the musicality in learning the phrase.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 2:11 am    

Bob Grado wrote:
I have three.

I'm trying to think of a practical reason to purchase
another one.

Practical reason # 1 :
Someone has one for sale and you want it, and buy it, because you can ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 2:16 pm     2 Mullen Gs

Have one packed for weekend gigs by the back door and one setup all the time in my office under a raised desk which keeps it dust free. I put felt pads on the rubber feet of the legs which makes it easy to slide out along my hardwood floor for practice.

I found that I avoided practice when hauling and assembly/de-assembly were involved so I talked myself into a second guitar. This makes practicing and gigging easy, but more to maintain (oil, strings. etc.) For that .. I put a post-it note on each guitar with the date of the last oil and strings. I do this on all my guitars too.

I would recommend that you get identical guitars .. or at least one with the same copedant. A G2 D10 would be great for home.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 3:25 pm    

2 identical Zum Hybrid D10's for me (apart from the colour).. one is setup in my recording studio and the other in the case ready to go - and I rotate them a bit too depending on which one has the newest string sets hehe ..

I have also recently refurbished my 32 year old MCI Rangexpander D10 -- this is handy for trying out different changes (especially on C6th) - nice to experiment to see if a new change is workable with my existing setups -- the MCI is pretty much the same setup as the Zum's apart from not having a staggered LKL on E9th.

I also have 2 volume pedals, 2 Steelers Choice sidekicks, and 2 sets of leads, picks, bars etc etc ... so there is no chance of leaving something vital at home when I head to a gig, or a session at another studio :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 10:44 am     Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the input all. I will buy myself a D10. Question being when and how expensive to go. I see there's a nice used Mullen Royal Precision on the Mullen site with a warranty on it which would probably do me for my purposes. When I search this forum though it seems everyone pushes for the G2. I really like my G2 not sure I can pull the trigger on a D10 G2 just yet. Decent price difference. Now I'm just rambling . Thank again!

Laughing

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.