The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 1000, advice on lubrication please
Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:52 pm    

Hi all,

I’ve got a Fender 1000 that is in good working order except one string has developed a stickiness to it. When I raise it, it comes back down a cent or two sharp. If I push on the finger underneath it goes back to tune. There is also a squeak coming from the changer for that string. All I did was change that string, dunno why it’s acting up all of a sudden.

I was hoping someone could give me advice on how to lubricate the insides with the least amount of dissassembly. I haven’t taken the changer area apart before and was hoping to avoid it (too many projects in the garage right now).

I have a can of CLP which I could shoot up in there from the underside. Any better ideas?

Dean Severson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:34 am    

You can use a 'needle oiler', which directs the oil carefully to points you need. (I wouldn't suggest spraying stuff underneath). I know Williams guitar company sells a little needle oiler. Others might too.

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 10:38 am    

Thanks for the reply.

After posting I browsed around a little (haven't been lurking here lately) and saw this thread about a Fender 400 with similar issue. The recommendation was cable guides to reduce the lateral pull on the fingers.

I started looking around under there to figure out how I would do that and noticed the steel plate was missing a piece:

It's that 3rd string that's having issues returning after a raise. It's hard to see but at least one more of those slot strips is cracked.

I think I understand a little more about this design now. That plate has those slots to support/protect the fingers against lateral force. The cables all wrap around a pulley at the far end of the instrument so the lateral forces aren't large (except for the knee lever I added on, you can see the sharp angle there).

I'm not entirely sure what to do about this. Obviously I need to re-route my knee lever cables. And lubrication may help.

Are cable guides really going to help? I don't know what those traditionally look like. If anyone has an example that would be helpful. I could machine something that is sort of like a large comb with appropriate spacing and install that over this (roughly between the slots and the screws on the right).

But after all that I'm wondering... this all happened after replacing a .022 wound string with a .020 plain string. Just pulling on the finger by hand I can tell the tension is very light compared the other fingers. Maybe I just need a heftier string there? It's a short scale so I can't just use a stock E9 set, I roll my own.

Sorry for such a long monologue, but if you have any thoughts I'm all ears.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 11:11 am    

Yes, going to a lower gauge can easily screw things up. A smaller gauge string requires more movement in the changer. And, if that finger where the guide plate is broken is pulled too far, it may hang up or cause even more damage. Also, in most things mechanical, if it squeaks - oil it!

Lastly, those homemade cable parts are pulling at too great an angle. That will likely cause more things to break if left that way. (It looks as if someone made a crappy attempt at adding a knee lever?)

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 12:02 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
(It looks as if someone made a crappy attempt at adding a knee lever?)

Hey! It was my first time, give me a break Very Happy

I'll be re-doing that when I add the other knee lever. While the knee lever works perfectly I haven't started using it yet. I ran out of space on the cable pulley so routed the cable directly from the knee lever.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 12:19 pm    

First,don’t use oil! Use teflon dry lube. Oil attracts dust and creats sludge. Have you cleaned your changer with naptha/lighter fluid? You would be best served by taking it apart and soaking then flushing. Well...you CAN flush with it assembled and blow it with compressed air,but you won’t get as much crap out.
Also the pulley at the key head end should be cleaned and ideally dissassembled and the discs polished. That will end 90% of the return problems.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:02 pm    

I think I posted the other thread....

Ended up working out ok. I did the naptha bath followed by dry Teflon lube...spent a 3 day weekend doing that off and on, and it paid off in the end...no return issues at this point.

I'd recommend finding Jim Sliff's guide on lubrication and maintenance (Basil H directed me there), and if you want specific guidance you can join the Fender Pedal Steel group on Facebook, lots of helpful people there to be sure.

I'm pretty sure my gauges were initially too light, too...combination of factors. If you have a really well tuned and lubricated system with absolutely minimal friction, you can probably have light gauges but a bit of extra tension on a heavier gauge helps muscle through a slightly sticky changer, perhaps.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:41 pm    

Glad the guide helped.

Oil - any type of oil - can cause problems on a Fender or any pedal steel unless the instrument is regularly and carefully cleaned/maintained, something most players just don't seem to find time to do.

Unless oil is periodically flushed out it *will* break down and thicken, plus collect dust, dirt and hair. Naphtha is reasonably safe for solvent flushing - a high flash point (meaning fumes are unlikely to ignite) and it doesn't affect finishes or plastics.

Chemical-resistant gloves and eye protection should be worn and it's best to flush things outside, but those precautions apply to any solvent use.

It's important when buying Teflon ("PTFE") lube that only the "dry" type be used. There are both dry and oil-based versions of Tri-Flow, Blaster PTFE and a few others, and the oil types will cause the same problems as any other oil.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 1:25 pm    

Nathan French wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
(It looks as if someone made a crappy attempt at adding a knee lever?)

Hey! It was my first time, give me a break Very Happy

I'll be re-doing that when I add the other knee lever. While the knee lever works perfectly I haven't started using it yet. I ran out of space on the cable pulley so routed the cable directly from the knee lever.

Nathan, I really don't mean to be hard on you! Mr. Green However, this is exactly what I was talking about (in another post) about non-mechanically inclined people buying and working on their own pedal guitars. That knee lever cable pulling sideways is quite likely what broke the separator plate. That's a hard piece to replace, and even harder to repair. Of course, through the years, I've done lotsa dumb stuff myself, and my only intention is to keep people from causing themselves more problems. Things like parts pulling sideways, over-tuning, and over-torquing can sometimes cause serious damage.

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 1:36 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
That knee lever cable pulling sideways is quite likely what broke the separator plate.

It could be, but several other separators have cracks as well. And that cable isn't pulling on a finger adjacent to the separator in question. I don't really understand why a steel plate would just crack like that. These aren't cast parts are they?

The back neck doesn't show any cracks.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 7:39 pm    

It's hard for me to say, Nathan. I don't know exactly when the damage occurred. (Possibly before you owned the guitar?) The only way that plate would break would be if there was some sideways torque placed on the pulling fingers, and under normal playing conditions, there is very little of that. At any rate, most of the sheet steel mechanical parts on the Fender guitars were case-hardened (for improved resistance to wear). Those hardened parts are more likely to crack or break than they are to bend if they see undue stress.

Many of the old Fender cable steels saw modification by their owners, and the one I have now had about 30 holes in the bottom of the body when I bought it, so I know that many parts were added and removed before I got it. Whoa! With only normal care and an occasional light oiling, these guitars are very trouble free.

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 11:08 am    

Well I sorted this issue out and it surprisingly had nothing to do with the changer at all. What was happening was the cable splitter parts from the A and B pedals were interfering with each other. So when I pressed the A pedal down it would release to a slightly different position. When the B pedal was moved the A pedal cable would then slip back to its original position.

The fix was simply to unhook the B pedal cables from the changer and re-route it on a different slot on the main pulley so the cables won't rub each other.

Not sure why I only noticed this after the string change. I vaguely remember noticing some tuning issues on that string when I first set it up.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 1:12 pm    

The cables should enter and leave the large pulley in a very specific order:

First pedal - closest to guitar body
Second pedal - next

....and so on, with the last pedal (depending on how many you have) the furthest from the body at both the entry AND exit points. Cable routing is critical to smooth pedal action, changer function and proper return-to-pitch.

The cables should never cross over each other at the pulley. All pulley discs should also spin freely when no cables are installed. If discs are stuck together or don't move freely the pulley needs to be dismantled, cleaned, possibly de-burred and for sure lubed - only with dry Teflon lube. Never use oils on these guitars or you'll,end up with a gummy, sticky mess full of hair and dirt.

If you join the Facebook Fender Pedal Steel page you can download a complete maintenance guide form the "files" section.

Oh, and BTW - there really aren't "A & B" pedals - those are E9 specific, not guitar-specific, and many Fender players use different copedents. Many of us try to just use numbers for more "universal" clarity.

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 1:30 pm    

Jim,

I had figured things crossing and rubbing would be a bad thing. I wasn't aware the exact order mattered. The 1st pedal was routed at the top of the pulley and I've now moved it to I think the 5th rung down on the pulley.

I'm not sure there's a way to route those 1st two pedals with that copedent on adjacent pulley rungs without having this issue. I need to look at the back of the pulley and see if cables are crossing in a bad way -- I can see how that would be a bad thing.

I don't Facebook otherwise I'd be all over that. I need to make some pedals for raising/lower the E's. I know I could hook up some pedals to do that (pedal 4 already is lowering E's) but I'd much rather get the hang of knee levers. If you have photos of other people's lever additions that might help me along.

Thanks for the advice!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 2:35 pm    

Quote:
I'm not sure there's a way to route those 1st two pedals with that copedent on adjacent pulley rungs without having this issue.

The copedent is irrelevant as is the model of guitar (1000 vs 400 as an example...)- the cables have to use that specific order for the least possible friction and to ensure return-to-pitch. Having the 1st pedal cable in the middle of the "pack" means it is running at a severe angle and has to be crossing over others.

It also will cause a huge amount of friction to be created at several points in the large pulley by pressing one of the discs down against several others. When they are routed in the specific sequence I mentioned there's the least possible amount of friction - which is absolutely critical. It doesn't matter whether pedals are all the way to the left or in the center of the guitar - the sequence is always the same.

As far as the copedent goes that is all *after* the large pulley. It has nothing at all to do with cable routing at the pulley itself. Where cables connect at the changer has no bearing on the consistent routing sequence at the large pulley.

I've specialized in working on these steels for about 20 years now, and any other cable routing sequence at the large pulley ends up causing several problems. And again, if the discs don't spin freely take it apart now and clean/deburr/polish the heck out of the discs or you'll be trying to figure out how to solve unsolvable problems later.

You can create straighter pulls at the changer - if needed- by simply screwing Delrin or nylon posts into the bottom of the guitar as "cable guides". I've used them for years on 1000's and on my 9+2 Fender 400 setup and they work very well to eliminate binding/friction at the changer. This is one of the few cases where putting screw holes into a vintage Fender guitar won't screw up the value! Highly recommended, especially on 1000's and 2000's.

The picture you posted above showing two loops at severe angles is something you should eliminate, and cable guides will help. You want the pulls at the changer to be as close to dead-straight as possible. Angles like that will cause problems no matter how well you maintain/lube the guitar.

Guides can also be used to keep small pulleys off of each other, although ideally cable assemblies should be re-made to eliminate all contact between small pulleys. If you look at the picture below of the cable guides none of the small pulleys actually touch - the two on the left are separated vertically.

Last - if any pedal is used for only a single change, don't stack two cable loops on top of each other at the same change finger. Re-make the cable to eliminate the unneeded loop and just run a single cable piece & loop to the changer. It's best to eliminate all unnecessary parts/friction/contact.

Please email me and I'll send you the maintenance docs and the cable soldering guide.

See the following pictures for large pulley cable sequence and examples of cable guides....

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 8:42 pm    

Thanks for the lengthy and very clear explanation Jim. I think the root problem in my case is the splitters are all on top of each other. Because of that, moving the cable lower on the pulley made enough clearance for them to not rub/catch. I hope that makes sense. The nylon guides are a great idea. I don't think I need them now but when I add pedals it will help.

The discs seem to all be spinning freely, at least on the pedals I'm using.

I think the correct solution would be to resolder the splitters such that they were spread out more and couldn't touch. Then I can move the cables to be in correct order on the pulley.

I started poking at the back neck while I was under there. I'm not real sure what to do with that neck. I have it tuned to an A6 tuning and I don't really want to learn 2nd copedent (I can barely get around on E9) so I just hooked up a pedal to pull the C#'s to C's (to get a minor chord) and now I have something I can chord on easily. Probably won't get much use on that back neck. I wanted a single neck but this is what fell into my lap Smile.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 11:17 am    

By "splitters" do you mean the small pulleys?

Even of those are on top of each other I'd try setting up the large pulley correctly to see if there's a difference. As long as the small ones don't bind on each other you should be OK.

You can also create "lifts" for cables of small pulleys to keep them off of each other. some use self-adhesive velcro fabric (even several layers on top of each other), screen door slides, all sorts of things - go to a hardware store, walk around, don't thin "guitar" but just think "what do I need to accomplish" and you'll find all sorts of solutions.

Red Rhodes used barn door hinges as knee levers; Sneaky Pete, I and many others used whatever we could find to create guides, stops and whatever else we needed.