The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wampler Ego Compressor "Pops and Crackles"
Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 10:06 am    

Hi all,
My Wampler Ego Compressor has just started to pop and crackle when switched on. The on/off switching is fine but the intermittent pops are loud and render the pedal unusable. I bought the pedal secondhand a few years ago so no warranty on it. It's not the cables (cords) or power supply, and a Lehle DC filter doesn't work.
I love this pedal....got any ideas folks?

Thanks,
Michael
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 1:16 pm    

Cracked solder joint?

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 5:19 pm     EGO Cpmpressor

Send an email to Brian Wampler explaining your problem. He is a super nice guy and he’s more than willing to help when there is a problem with one of his products. He’s a super nice guy to work with.

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 2:41 am    

Paul Arntson wrote:
Cracked solder joint?

Hi Paul,
I opened her up and the joints and components LOOK fine to my untrained eye. Also tapped a few with the eraser end of a pencil to see if any were loose. Again, all ok.
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 2:48 am     Re: EGO Cpmpressor

David Graves wrote:
Send an email to Brian Wampler explaining your problem. He is a super nice guy and he’s more than willing to help when there is a problem with one of his products. He’s a super nice guy to work with.

Hi David,
I rang the Wanpler support line on Friday and left a voicemail. I'll try again on Monday. Do you have Brian's direct email by any chance? If so could you PM it to me?
Thanks.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 6:05 pm    

I doubt you'll get Brian's direct email. They're not a small one-man outfit.

It definitely sounds like a partially broken connection Where you are it may be your best bet to find a tech that repairs pedals locally since it's not a warranty job.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 4:00 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I doubt you'll get Brian's direct email. They're not a small one-man outfit.

It definitely sounds like a partially broken connection Where you are it may be your best bet to find a tech that repairs pedals locally since it's not a warranty job.

Thanks Jim.
Still can't get hold of anyone at Wampler support.
I may have to take it to a tech here in Ireland, but the guy I spoke to wasn't very hopeful about resolving the issue. My options are very limited.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 6:01 am    

Normally, after a good visual inspection, a tech would do the standard "move and tap" procedure to find the intermittent. When that doesn't yield anything, they'll try freeze-mist. If that doesn't help, then it's time to start checking individual components, usually beginning with any electrolytics in the circuit. Sometimes, just reflowing all the solder joints will eliminate the gremlin.

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 9:19 am    

Wampler Support got back to me today. The reason for the delay was my fault, leaving a work number and only a first name!
Anyway, I have to say Jerry at Wampler Support was extremely helpful. He sorted out a repair guy in the UK for me and we came to an amicable financial arrangement! Should have it back in 14 days all going to plan.

Thanks to all for your help with this.
Cheers, Mike. Very Happy