The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sweet Spot
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 9:25 am    

First as a new member to the Forum I would like to
thank all of you that offer so much advice to us newbie's and others. I have used that search button
a lot to find answers to various questions that I have had.

I have now had my Mullen SD10 for a month and a half, playing nearly every day. I have watched many
video's on the right hand position and I assume position in some cases lies with the player. I have
played 6 string Lead Guitar for over 50+ and I think
that I have a good ear for the sound created by the
players fingers on the instrument. I have just come
to realize that my right hand position on my PSG sounds better in one position that any other place in and around the pickup area. I think my practicing is making my tone on the strings better but I refer to what I call a "Sweet Spot".

So my question,, is there such a thing as a "Sweet Spot on a PSG. We all know that in Golf there is such a thing on a golf club. As a 6 string player I know how to find better tone for certain types of sound that I want to create say on a Tele, Strat, Gretsch etc.

Also just bought a ER-102 from Dan at Steelerschoice the other day so I can't wait to seat comfortably when rehearsing.

To Mr. Lee and all the experts "Thanks Again"

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 10:03 am     Just kidding

[quote]So my question,, is there such a thing as a "Sweet Spot on a PSG. We all know that in Golf there is such a thing on a golf club.
Quote:

DO NOT hit your guitar with a golf club.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 10:50 am    

FWIW Tommy White has said the "sweet spot" for the right hand is around the 24th fret. Jernigan definitely picks about there.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 11:20 am    

I aim to pick approximately 12 frets up from whatever fret my bar is on, this gives me a fatter tone than if I pick closer to the pickup.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 11:46 am    

Larry, I tend to pick about 4 or 5 frets in from the end of the fret board, that's real sweet for me.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 7:12 am    

I'm still pretty new to steel guitar, but I find (not unlike standard guitar) that I like to change my right hand position depending on the character of the tone I'm trying to achieve at the moment. I may play one riff close to the changer for a twangier sound and then move up the fret board a bit for a richer tone on a different riff. I imagine that this approach is not unique to me...

- Slim.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 8:21 am    

All responses are good. I paid attention to Buddy's playing and while his hand moved around a bunch depending on what he was playing and trying to do, I noticed that generally he was over the 20th fret or so- hand being just in front of the pickup.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 8:46 am    

It's natural on any string instrument to bow or pluck the string differently depending on where the string is stopped by the left hand. Too near the bridge and it requires too much effort and sounds brittle, too far away and it feels and sounds flabby. So for any fret position there is an ideal spot, although in practice most players seem to find a hand position which is satisfactory throughout most of the range. (Personally if I move much above the 12th fret I retreat somewhat.)

Richard Burton wrote:
I aim to pick approximately 12 frets up from whatever fret my bar is on, this gives me a fatter tone than if I pick closer to the pickup.

It's fatter because by picking at the centre of the string he is eliminating the even-numbered harmonics. In theory (i.e. if done accurately) it gives a mellow reedy quality like a clarinet.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:46 am     Sweet Spot

Thank you all for your comments, regarding my thread.
Being new to this Wonderful world of the PSG, I will continue to monitor the forum and use the search button as much as possible.

I was planning to Visit Dallas for the Convention to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge available there and attend some seminar's.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 4:03 pm    

What Fred Justice said👍I also think for faster picking such as banjo rolls, playing a bit closer to the bridge is helpful as the string doesn’t vibrate or resonate as it does closer to the nut end of the guitar.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:35 pm    

When I play a lightning fast lick like Len is talking about, I seldom have time to notice where my right hand is because it's usually reaching for a fire extinguisher Laughing Yah right!!