The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd with Connie Smith-"Once A Day" '65
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:24 pm    

I first heard this a few years ago on Ray Montee's Jerry Byrd website. For me, this is the Gold Standard for steel playing. Beautiful vocal-like phrasing, other-worldly tone... I could watch and listen a million times and never tire of hearing Byrd's playing on this song. There are people who play more complicated things, faster things, more modern things, etc., but nobody plays better than that, in my opinion.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 9:24 pm    

Quote:
...does anyone know if this was recorded before or after the Weldon Myrick version?

Weldon played on her record, which was a hit one year before this TV show. The studio recording was of course more polished than this live TV show recording.

Here's an interesting video of Connie singing the tune with Weldon on steel, recorded a few years ago. She gives Weldon credit for creating the Connie Smith sound. I'd say she's a steel guitar fan! ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVzETu9Gfz8

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 3:41 am    

Here is fine Glen Campbell version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9DjaGjsuTo
On thing I noticed is, they both pronounce "lost" the same way, is that a local accent?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 7:40 am    

Jerry Byrd's playing on this really shows his tremendous professionalism. It is expert in every way.

The little phrase he plays at 1:29 is a direct lift from the pedal steel playbook. I wonder how much pressure was put on Jerry to play like pedal players...I will have to revisit his book. But it is Hawaiian playing which makes all the connections so seamless.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 11:47 am    

Yes, he exudes confidence and he plays aggressively. I like the way he dives right into those slants and slides. No fear, no problem. Cool
I think Jerry’s non-pedal style was considered dated by the mid-60s in Nashville. He considered the pedals to be a gimmick. He probably saw them as more of a limitation than a help.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 12:19 pm    

"I wonder how much pressure was put on Jerry to play like pedal players"

According to some of the old posts where Jerry's brother Jack used to post to the forum, Jerry felt that his ability with slants are what gave him his competitive edge. basically saying, why should I do something mechanical that can be copies in 2 minutes rather than use something that no one else can do. he also expressed surprise any time a country artist wanted to hire him after pedals came out.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 12:59 pm    

He said that non-pedal players develop their own unique style because they have to use more bar motion, slants and slides to play a song. Pedal steel players tend to sound alike because of the standard setup, the same cliche string pulls of the pedals.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 1:07 pm    

The only things in common are the picks.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 7:48 pm    

Well I am a dyed in the wool Connie Smith fan. She put goose bumps on me the first time I ever heard her sing and she still does. If you hear that version as pitchy, I will take a truck load of it. I had the honor of hearing her sing live for about an hour with the Kenny Vernon band at the Navajo Hogan in Colorado Springs one Monday morning. Kenny and I ran into her at a local cafe and she went to the Hogan and sang all of her hits with Kenny's band. Wayne Gailey was the steel player. I was the only person in the room except the person she was traveling with. The year was about 66 or 67. Connie has been my favorite female singer ever since the first time I heard her and she still is today. I love a lot of the others also but she is tops. Dawn Sears, Lari White, & many more.

Mr Bryd was exceptional playing those chops on a straight steel. Don't think anyone else could have done it that well.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 8:29 am    

I always liked Janie Fricke. Very Happy
Erv