The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  FS: '60 National D8 Console-Sale Pending
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:26 pm    

Here's my 1960 National Dynamic D8 Console with great deco styling and totem pole fretboards! This model has two single coil pickups per neck instead of the one large pickup on earlier models. All four pickups sound great, well balanced with good output and very little hum. There is a two position pickup selector at the base of each neck. I thought about replacing those switches with potentiometers to have blend knobs similar to a Stringmaster but never got around to it.

Condition:
The white paint on the necks shows a lot of wear at the base as does the black paint on the underside. The gloss black on the center and side pieces looks much better. Brass control panel looks great with very few blemishes. No blemishes at all on the totem pole fretboards. It's got both plastic tuner covers as well as the pickup covers which are often damaged or missing on these guitars. I like it better without the pickup covers though. Pots and switches have been cleaned and all work as they should. An interesting feature is that the tone pot only makes 1/4 turn which should be great for boo-wah. No legs or case but it does have leg sockets that have inserts to accept the more common 1/2"-10 thread than the original 5/8".

Price: $500 + shipping
Send me your zip code if you want a shipping quote.

I don't imagine that it's a big selling point for any of you, but this guitar used to be owned by James Iha, the original guitar player with the Smashing Pumpkins. James is not known as a steel player though, and I don't know that this was used in any recordings so I don't think that counts as provenance. Just a fun fact.

Last edited by Bill Sinclair on 19 Jan 2018 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:31 pm    

More pics including one with the tuner side cover removed to show those nice clean Klusons. Oh, and it's 23" scale with 3/8" string spacing at the bridge and 5/16" at the nut.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:38 pm     Double Singles per neck

Super combo, Bill. Never saw that factory layout. Had a single 8 with the large squarish p/up years back..but it suddenly faltered. Traded away. Very unique setup on this double.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 6:56 am    

Jon,
Yeah, that single 8 is what you typically see Freddie Roulette playing. They seem to be more rare than the D8's and often sell for more than a D8 in the same condition. Better suited for actual lap playing, that's for sure. I do like this pickup configuration and I suspect that they are wired/polarized for a humbucking effect but I never confirmed that.

Dan Campbell

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 6:17 am     National D8

PM sent Bill-

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 8:34 am    

Sale Pending.... Thanks Dan!