The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning Pots on a NV 112
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:09 pm    

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to clean the pots on a NV 112. I bought this new, when the first came out. It has only been used in my house, but most of the knobs a scratchy when you turn them. I have tried rotating them back and forth quickly, to see if it helps. No it didn't, I know some pots have a small area open, that you can spray cleaner in in, others do not. I have a gadget that goes over the shaft, and you spray cleaner in a little whole, and the cleaner is suppose to run down the shaft, into the pot, but I have never found it works. I hate to have to have it sent in to have them changed, the cost would almost be like buying a new amp. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 9:53 pm    

Have you tried "googling" chassis pictures of the amp? Thats usually the best way to see if the pots are both open and accessible enough for what you're using.

If you do work on it make sure to NOT use "contact cleaner, though. only use "cleaner/lube" like Caig Deoxit or F5. Contact cleaner will destroy pots in one pass by removing the lubricating ois.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 1:35 am    

Pull the chassis, it's fairly easy and strait forward. The pots indeed have a slight opening, I use an electronics spray cleaner from the auto parts store now that Radio Shack is gone. RED can CRC brand.

while you are at it, check and clean each of the input/output jacks and reverb connector. Don't forget the RCA connectors at he reverb tank. The N112 is not exempt from issues with these pc bd mounted jacks. Pay special attention to the SEND/RETURN jacks. IF they malfunction you amp will go silent on the gig. Many players will use a short jumper cable for these all the time.

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 10:11 pm    

I will pull it and see. I do have the cleaner/lub Jim mentioned. It came with the little adapter I bought. Thanks for all the info.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.