The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions for the experienced 6th players and Mechanics
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 2:51 pm    

The purpose of considering this tuning is to see if it would be a practical "Fly Guitar" instead of flying my D10. Currently, the requirements I have can allow me to eliminate the bottom 2 strings on a typical 10-string 6th tuning but I'm not sure that this tuning will be a good long-term solution.

For those of you who have allot of experience playing the 6th tuning please, and the Mechanics/Builders, provide feedback.

Some comments and questions:
Please review the conceptual tuning below. It's a standard 10-string E9th with the 6th changes that would be available utilizing a 3-Raise/3-Lower changer system.(possibly utilizing 2 Bradshaw devices to gain the extra Raises where needed, eliminating changes, or getting an Excel S10 guitar.)

1-Is it a practical (musical)long-term solution?

2-For the builders/mechanics, can it be accomplished and still play comfortably if it were a "body and a half?

3-Do I leave the standard changes on Pedal 4 or place the changes listed on CVL on it instead? (Jeff Newman totally eliminated the typical Pedal 4.)

4-Please disregard the Franklin Pedal---I forgot to omit that column. I can live without that Pedal while doing Fly Shows.

Thank you for your feedback.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 4:37 pm     Re: Questions for the experienced 6th players and Mechanics

It sounds like your main requirement is that it is under 50 lbs. My buddy had to fork over $75 last weekend in Phoenix for a Steel that was like 1 pound over... Uugh.

1-Is it a practical (musical)long-term solution?
Yes. Your chart is very close to being a 10-String Universal. As Jeff Newman would tell us, The Universal is designed to be able to play anything you would need to play on the Bandstand with most typical Country, Country-Rock, Western/Swing, etc... bands (Intros/Fills/Turnarounds/Solos/Endings).

2-For the builders/mechanics, can it be accomplished and still play comfortably if it were a "body and a half?
All of my Uni's are single wides, and I have 6 knee levers with two on RKL, very comfortable. Should be no prob on Body and a half but I would go with the smallest possible body size, for lower weight.
You will probably need the body length of a keyed guitar if you are wanting E9-LKL/LKR and B6-LKL/LKR levers. Other wise I would say go Keyless to save more weight/space.
You can also get the new light weight Legs that are available these days (Red Barn Music).

3-Do I leave the standard changes on Pedal 4 or place the changes listed on CVL on it instead? (Jeff Newman totally eliminated the typical Pedal 4.)
Your CVL is basically the inverse of P6. fwiw I had that change for a while, and found I didn't really use it enough. Jeff told us the same about P4. "No one uses it anymore" is what he would say.
I am not sure you need the B6th LKl either (G# to G), for Fly dates. I like having your B6th LKR though (I have that raise on all G#'s). If you go without B6 LKL and CVL you may be able to go to a single wide keyless, which is like a Tenor Sax size case.

I would agree that a D10 player would also like a Lever-Lock for the E to Eb lever. I am not sure you need the B6th lever lock for Fly dates, so maybe save some weight there.

You might check out a Williams. He is an experienced Uni builder who builds keyless and has a nice lever lock system. I also played a sweet Mullen G2 Uni this past weekend in Phoenix, and they had a G2 S10 there that sounded great.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 18 Jan 2018 5:21 pm; edited 4 times in total

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 5:03 pm    

Thank you Pete!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:03 pm    

Marty - Take a look at the knee-levers I customized on my Mullen U-12. I didn't have the long vertical lever that Jeff used. You can see how I got around that. Jeff didn't have a LKR lever, because he felt that it got in the way. You can see how I got around that.

Click Here

By the way, I lowered the E's with the RKL lever and didn't have a lock on it. The changes you have on RKL are what I had on the short LKR lever.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 5:04 am    

Lee,
An incredible idea! Thank you for posting.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 8:13 am    

Have you seen this Steel for sale?:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326952

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 8:40 am    

It’s nice to know that I’m not crazy in thinking about it.