The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why I Took Up Steel Guitar
Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 1:09 am    

I had spinal fusion surgery a few years back. While it kept me from being paralyzed it left me with severe nerve damage in my hands and legs. I lost the ability to play standard guitar as the ring finger and pinky finger on each hand were effected.

After being severely depressed for two years I realized I could play the steel since the bar will repack the fingers on my left hand and the finger pics on the right hand go on my good fingers. Who hoo

Now trying to learn a new instrument at 55 is ROUGH ...it’s coming along slowly but I am Starting to hear improvement. Getting used to the finger pics is tough. Patience is not my strong suit. LOL.

I’ve set a goal of becoming DECENT within the year. I’m working hard as I can within my limitations. .. not easy considering the nerve pain but at least I can be distracted by the Music for a bit each day.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 1:34 am    

Robert, I wish you all the best in your quest and it must be a blow after all the years of being a guitarist. I think this is one thing we all dread and who knows what is around the corner. At least you have a background in guitar so not starting from scratch on that front. It's the use of the hands.

Keep at it friend and I am sure you will get there.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 3:55 am    

Robert, I have neuroapathy on my left pinky and ring fingers from a trapped ulnar nerve in my elbow. That's why I switched to steel also. I've mad the "round"... C6 lap, to D-10 pedal, to S-10 pedal, and now back to 6 string steel with E7 and A7 tunings.

Keep up the practice, and play with some others. You'll love it!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 5:56 am     Thank You My Friends

While this is a very humbling instrument ... I am enjoying it

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 6:32 am    

Robert,
You might be interested to read the story of Billy Hew Len:
https://books.google.com/books?id=WlDSDopg3HoC&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60

He lost his left hand in an industrial accident at 17. Through an amount of grit and determination that's hard for me to fathom, he went on to be one of the greatest Hawaiian steel guitarists.

Good luck playing, I'm new to the instrument too, and I hope, like you, to attain "decent" status after not too long!

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:13 am     Wow!

Guess, I better stop morning and complaining!

What an inspiring story....

I can and will do this!

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:27 am    

Hi Robert,

I think we have more than a few 'old farts' in here that gravitated
to the lap steel from a regular guitar for one of many reasons.
I am 74 and played acoustic guitar for a long time but arthritis finally stopped my left hand from fretting the strings.
I bought the cheapest lap steel I could find and fell in love with the instrument.
I wlll never be great, heck, I may never even be good but I love this instrument and it's kept my enjoyment of making music alive.
I hope your journey is a fun one. For such a simple instrument it can certainly be a challenge to learn.
It helps in keeping my brain from falling out my left ear.
Hang around. There's a lot of smart folks in here to learn from.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 6:28 am     I hear ya

Taking up the steel has been a God-send. Being in constant pain and feeling sorry for not being able to make music like I used to made me ... crazy.

I was NEVER a great guitarist, but I was GOOD. I made a nice side living for me and my family over the years. Never a Star but I did alright. Had a record deal sold a decent amount locally just could never make it.

Losing the ability in parts of my left and right hand was/is frustrating. However he Steel offers me the opportunity to make music again. It’s not easy but at least I have the chance.

I never played country professionally but because of my Dad I grew up with the old classics. I know them and have always loved the stuff. I’m learning more and more on this board.

I want to thank you guys/gals for your generosity and willingness to help. Seems like Steel players are a real nice bunch of people.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 10:17 am    

I took up steel guitar because I love the way they sound. I like to experiment and tinker. I started out building Cigar Box Guitars (without the cigar box) I made mine with a resonator cone, so the cigar boxes were too small. I didn't really care for the sound. Nothing wrong with the guitar, it's just the way they sounded wasn't for me.......

There was a post on the Cigar Box Nation forum advertising a contest to build a lap steel using a 2 x 4. I listened to a homemade one, and I was sold. I have built 5 laps so far. Each one sounds unique. One thing I didn't like about playing the CBG was fretting. I would much rather slide a tone bar to get a note than use the finger tips and fret board.

I find myself listening to Willie's Roadhouse on sirius radio, just to hear the "Old Stuff" with the great sounds of steels. Very Happy

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 10:29 am    

You are an inspiration yourself, Robert, for not being defeated by this major setback in your life. Thank you for joining and telling us your story, and Welcome.

You will find just about everything you need to know about playing steel is already here on this forum, and plenty of people are here to help if you don’t know where to look for the information. Good luck!

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 4:34 am     Thx Fred

This forumn has some of the nicest folks in the world. I once interviewed Les Paul, he stated Guitar players all consider ourselves to be part of the same team. Always looking out for one another. He was right!

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 5:26 am    

Hey Robert, I'm cheering you on!

I've just discovered playing on with backing tracks and how much better they make me sound, and how it forces me to work on my memorization and timing.

I just recently came across Doug Beaumier's blog and he's got his tab to a great arrangement of Moontide that's not to hard, but sounds so great. And he has a backing track on the blog you can play along with. (just scroll down a bit on his blog to find it)...

http://playsteelguitar.com/blog/

Keep it up - and have fun!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 5:37 am    

Robert, the key in life is to keep learning. Age means nothing. Everyone needs an interest/hobby to keep there juices flowing.

I cherish the years exploring steel guitar from beginner to pro. All an adventure. At 60 I still enjoy practicing and discovering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpU4b7yITo&feature=youtu.be

Ron Hogan Steel Guitar Brother to Robert.

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 7:15 am     Thx guys

You’re the best!

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 7:31 am     Thx guys

You’re the best!