The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with "timing" a change
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 1:15 pm    

I have a SHo~Bud 6139 and a lever that raises strings !&2 to match 3&4 and also lowers 6 a whole tone.

Th way it works is that the 1st string almost gets to G before the 6th lower starts moving. I wonder if there is any way to adjust it so I actually get hit that note so I get a sort of half stop. Obviously, I'm after a 7th chord with A&B down and the 1st string raised a semitone but by the time I get the semitone raise the 6th string has already started to go slightly flat.

I'm wondering if slightly changing the string gauge might help - if the 6th lowered with less travel, it wouldn't start moving so quickly?? Or do I need to change the gauge on the first string so it raises with less travel?
If so do I need a heavier or lighter gauge?

Or is there some other adjustment I can make?

When I first got the guitar, I'm sure this happened - probably by accident - but ever since I changed the strings for the first time I lost that ability.

I'm currently using a .012 on the 1st string and a .022 plain on the 6th.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 1:33 pm    

yes Change the 1st string to a .013p...and tighten up the lower return spring all the way up(if you have one...as there is 7 different mechanisms through the years for a 6139...and I don't know what you have.
Also try the .020p for the 6th string and unhook the raise spring if there is one on there(the raise spring is the one at the bottom of guitar, hooked to a bracket).
Spring Tension; what springs are on there and there function and string gauges....are very important for timing things out the best possible on these old ShoBud two hole pullers.
Start with that...and let me know...as I have a handful of other things you can do/try....> I can do it in 5 minutes if I had the guitar on my bench(course I've been doing this work for 20 years on Sho~bud) and even have my own set of strings with specific string gauges for the 24" scale pedal steel(so many use the WRONG string gauges; because they are buying longer scale string gauge packs for Emmons; Zum....etc...)
Ricky Davis, E9th, Nickel
.013, .015, .012, .014, .018, .022w, .026, .030, .034, .038
Item #RDE9-38N

http://www.jagwirestrings.biz/catalog/i6.html

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 17 Jan 2018 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 2:00 pm    

Thanks Ricky, I'll try that.

I see you recommend a wound 6th string. I'd imagine that would make a huge difference (not sure which way though!).

I actually use the Buddy Emmons SIT string set but I think I might have a faulty batch as they don't make me sound anything like Buddy Sad

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 2:09 pm    

Yes Jeff I use a .022wound like Lloyd Green; as the tuning and stability of that gauge at that note; is much more stable; but I only lower it a half tone; Lloyd doesn't lower his at all.
Very hard to lower a wound string a whole tone from that pedal down A note(I did it for Dicky; but he ONLY lowered that string on a knee lever...as the more changes you have on one crossbar....the more difficult/tension each pull gets).
Yes Emmons strings are for EMMONS....ha...not Sho~bud.
Here's my set up: