The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remington Sustainmaster
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:52 pm    

Would anyone comment on whether this might be a good guitar for a total newb and how to examine whether it's in good shape or not?

Also it says the C6 is not set up. I assume that means that the levers and pedals are not set up. How would you go about getting it set up? Ship it to someone?

I'm new enough to not know if people play the C6 portion without pedals and levers often? I'm guessing no.

I'm interested in trying pedal steel. I've been thinking about getting a U12 but there don't seem to be many used and new is way out of my price range.

Thanks!
Paul (Frequent Lurker, first time poster)

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:54 pm    

Whoops! Here's a link
https://vermont.craigslist.org/msg/d/remington-sustainmaster-d10/6440261031.html

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:58 pm    

I don't see how you could go wrong at that price. Pedal steels are not that hard to do basic work on.

Are the rods supposed to be bent like that?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 9:44 pm    

I'd want to see some current photos or at least verify the guitar is complete as shown. IF that is the case, that's certainly a fair price. If it's a Bobby Bowman guitar, that's a plus. Bobby Bowman built some guitars for Herb Remington, but has since passed away.

Not a lot of Remingtons built, and there was a variety of parts design used over the years.

The seller states a decal has been added post photos and that there are spare parts included too, so that's why I said make sure it's complete as shown in the photos and doesn't need to be re-assembled.

Remington guitars are fairly modern all pull builds beginning in about the early to mid 90's. That appears to be one of the later builds. There probably aren't any exact matching parts available should they be needed, but probably parts from other makers will work.

If complete on both necks, it would not be too big a deal for a competent tech to set up, provided it needs anything. The rear neck linkage looks normal in the photos, which makes one wonder why it needs a setup...it might just be a matter of adjusting and tuning up, I suppose.

Probably no big deal, but the fret boards are Emmons boards and probably not original to the guitar, but Remington did have a variety of fretboards over the yrs.

There are several capable steel guitar techs in the north east. Tommy Cass in Mass., John Widgren in Ct. and probably several others who are forum members you can contact.

If possible, it would be best to have a knowledgeable steel guitar player go with you to inspect it before making a final decision. If you are not familiar with the mechanics, you might not know what to look for.

I don't know if the previous owner mentioned in the ad is a forum member, but you might do a forum search and see. If possible, inquire about the guitar from him.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 5:59 am    

I own a Bowman built Remington steel just like this one. Except for the lack of brand recognition there's nothing that compares in quality at twice the price. Easy pedal and lever action and zero cabinet drop. Go for it.