The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  b0b
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 1:59 am    

Here in Mesa I finally met the Founding Father of the Forum. After 21 years on line. What a great guy. A gentleman. Like so many who love the instrument, Bobby Lee genuinely wants to share it with as many people as possible. His Steel Guitar Forum has enabled thousands of us to become acquainted from around the world. Literally, around the world. Thank you b0b, for all you have done for Steel Guitar.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:26 am    

Wow!!! I didn't know the forum had been around 21 yrs usually things like this don't last over a few years. The 7 yrs. that I've been a member has been Great and Bob does a wonderful job with it along with his crew chief's. The first steel show I went to a few years back in Dallas I saw David Hartley and John Stannard playing in the Rains room and met Gary Carpenter along with Mickey Adams in the Mullen room. After listenting to those boys' play that's when I fell in love with the steel. I couldn't wait until the next year show to see all of them but David and John wasn't there kinda of a let down but Mickey was the only one there from the previous year and when he started playing his still was Smoking. I ended up buying a Carter and the reason was their shop was about 4 miles from where I lived and not know anythng about steels I thought well I can swing by and ask about whatever should a need arise and I did several times a week for about 6 months until John Fabian passed away. John as everyone knew was very knowledgable and helpful in fact he told me about this forum. I had No idea what I was going to do as I could not find anyone who taught in the area. One time I had a problem as i didn't know how to tune it and it needed tuning. I paced the floor for a week or so about calling Gary Carpenter who built the Rains and here I have a Carter but I finally grew some and decided to give Gary a call in Ft. Worth. I was so nervous about making that call but Gary was so down to earth and said sure bring it over and I did. Got to see his shop and not because he put strings and tuned it but that Black D10 Carter absolutely sounded great when he finished and played a few songs and licks. I have gotten a lot of help, hints and tabs from this Forum and would like to commend Bob for a fantastic idea back 21 years ago of forming this site Thank You Bob as it has a Wealth of information available on it and everyone doesn't seem to mind giving help.Thanks to all of you and as of today I now live in the country about 20 miles east of Rockwall Tx and I still haven't seen anyone close by that I could pest to grab some hints from but hey I'm just a bedroom player and started this adventure kinda late in life but having one heck of good time now that I've retired with it. Keep on steeling folks.[/u]

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 7:37 pm    

Hey Don, AMEND AND AMEND.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 7:59 pm    

Thanks B0b:
I'm not too much of an iPhone addict, but I find Facebook is becoming more full of noise, but the Forum is just getting more interesting. Jeez, I check it 5x a day! Thanks again.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 5:47 am    

It was great seeing Bobby Lee in AZ this week! Even though he was having some ear problems that prevented him from playing on stage this time, he was sounding fantastic playing his cool new Sierra in the Sierra booth!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 12:28 pm     Bob/SGF

Bob does a good job with the forum. Never been in that part of the USA but do plan to go. Maybe as part of a round trip.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 1:06 pm    

When I grow up I wanna be like Bob...

I met Bob in 2006 in St Louis.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 2:45 pm    

Woo, all true-blue too! I am relatively unquestionably sort-of entirely mostly convinced that I just would NOT be playing steel as I am now if it wasn't for this steel git foam. I had tried and failed miserably to "figure out" a Shobud S10 in the 1980's somewhere. Some retard had tuned the top two strings wrong before I even got it, so wrong that even when I tuned them RIGHT it just got worser & worser! Then, I foolishly pursued the wife/career/new car/house idiocy for quite some time and when I finally regained my senses in the late 90's, it didn't take me long to get back with slide guitar to my previous point (arpeggiating complex chords with the tip of a slide and a delay, you don't have to catch ALL the notes the first time through. Etc). I still couldn't get IT but thanks to the forum I figured out what “IT” actually was, and that I had been chasing around on the WRONG steel, I needed 10 strings of C-sex. And the NEXT step was ELIMINATING some/all pedals because they made my left hand lazy (in an anti-Milesian way) and I need the discipline of the NOT-so-pedally 10.

Boony-3, the forum told me I WASN'T crazy* and got me shapshiped and re-pointy-headed yet again. Halle-loo-yah. AND reminded me I'm NOT Trucks, Landreth or Tronzo or Breit but I'm not SUPPOSED to be and they ain't ME neeth, how they must be crushed. The downside is I met Mike Perlowin & Dave Easley and if THAT won't pee on your mighty Flames of Ego, well I never. Boony-4, It's OH KAY as the infernal spine/nerves eat up my underarm guitar play, because I have STEEL. Pay attention Kids: if you don't find the answer here, you need to ask better questions.

*(heh)