The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 Scale Diagrams - Pockets & Positions
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 11:24 am    

Here are a bunch of scale diagrams I created to help with visualizing the C6 fretboard: http://playpedalsteel.com/scale-diagrams-for-the-c6-neck/

Tying these pockets and positions together can help with single-note passages, and movement in any direction. Hope ya'll enjoy! Mr. Green

-Casey

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 6:48 pm    

Thank you, Casey! I was not familiar with that site, but I now have it bookmarked.

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 2:07 pm    

You're welcome David! I'm glad you have it bookmarked, thanks for checking it out. Hope everyone is enjoying the diagrams!

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 5:54 pm    

I still struggle to 'get' modes, but thanks for doing this.
I also only play a U12, but it's fairly easy to transcribe.

Phrygian and Locrian coming?
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 3:27 pm    

You're welcome Daniel, I hope they are helping. Phrygian and Locrian are on the way, currently in the works Mr. Green I will post them when completed.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 2:50 pm    

(y) Very Happy

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 10:49 pm    

Yes, thank you Casey. I have a problem with these modes, not because I don't understand them but because I don't see their practical use. They are just different selections from the major scale, so the mechanics of performing them are identical.

The harmonic and melodic minor modes on the other hand are different (as are the ones used in Jewish music) and need to be studied seperately.

Or is it just me Confused

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 5:07 am    

I understand what you mean, Casey - only just recently did I feel I'm getting a real handle on the modes, and it'll be a while before I can utilize them. Still, they certainly do offer another option, but perhaps you can do what my (jazz) guitarist buddy did: have someone play different chords while you play the same scale. It's surprising at times how different that same scale sounds. You'd probably be best off with a jazz guy (or gal) who gets this and can show you how to use modes. Modes sure worked for Coltrane, but even if you don't play jazz, there are definitely places I believe you can use them for added flavor.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 1:47 pm    

Nice job, Casey, clear and useful. I love the divisions into positions/ directions on the neck.

And Ian,
Quote:
They are just different selections from the major scale, so the mechanics of performing them are identical.
is exactly the point and the strength of modal position playing.

For example, a G major scale IS an A dorian minor scale. It will automatically give you the b3 and b7 of the A scale, for a smooth Santana-ish vibe over A minor. If you already know a G major scale and many licks and ideas within it you can simply apply those to an Am situation and let your ear help you phrase into the A minor chord or tonality. Thinking of the application you see the "rule" for A minor Dorian playing is simply major playing a whole step below the current key center.

Similar applications and easy "rules" for the other modes give you access to tons of new ideas over many playing situations. Seems very powerful to me.

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 11:19 am    

Thanks for the comments and insights ya'll. It's really interesting to hear different applications and uses of the modes -- the ideas and possibilities of using them seem endless. Cool

I've really enjoyed learning the different modes/scales when starting with the same note...for instance playing A Mixolydian, then practicing A Dorian, to see how they compare in regards to scale degrees and tonalities. These scales are really similar besides the third note, which is b3 with dorian and a major third in mixolydian - by comparing them from the same starting note (A) it is easier to hear/identify the relationship between the two scales, and how they are the same besides this one note.

This particular example can really help with playing the blues -- if we are playing some blues in the key of A, then over the I chord (A7 for example), A mixolydian can work well. When the chord changes to the IV chord (D7), then A dorian can be a good scale to use, and in a player's mind they can know that changing just the third tone between the two scales can be an effective way to play over these changes.

Any other modal ideas/insights that may be helpful to players?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 1:21 pm    

Casey, I just poked around your great website, and wish to compliment you on the depth of material there and your wonderful writing style. Lots of great stuff to ponder and study there, for any level player. I've been teaching E9 for 24 years, and found myself nodding in agreement with just about everything you've written.

Very impeccably done, my man! Keep it up, and I'll send my students to your site as an adjunct resource to my curriculum.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email: steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 11:17 am    

Thanks for browsing the website John, I really appreciate the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for spending time to check out the material.

I hope the site can be helpful to players of any level...thanks for sending your students to the site to use as a resource! I appreciate it Very Happy

Sincerely,

Casey