The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SWSGA : 3 extraordinary first-timers
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 9:30 am    

Jim Cohen said it well, but I'll say again that 3 first-time players were the stars of the SWSGA show last weekend.

I had heard Steve Cattermole noodling around in the Infinity room in years past so I knew that he could play Great American Songbook type stuff with the right chords, right in tune, etc, and it was wonderful to hear him do it on the big stage.

Paul Haaker brought lots and lots of his own style to a few familiar country tunes. The tunes may be familiar, but his licks were new and fresh to me. Plus many of them were delivered at blistering tempos. With Doug Jernigan absent this year, I think Paul may have been fastest-in-show.

Christopher Woitach is an experienced guitarist, rather new to steel, but very capable of expressing his interesting personal musical ideas in what was probably the most "outside" jazz of the week. I loved it.

On the country side, I still think Jay Dee is as good as it gets. Extra credit to Paul Haaker for playing banjo on Misty. Other country style stars for me were Travis Toy and Rick Schmidt. Travis played very strong and clean, and seems to have a limitless supply of cool E9 stuff. And my friend Rick Schmidt who does so many harmonically interesting things on C6 played the most beautiful country ballads on E9.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 2:05 pm    

Thanks, Doug! You, Rick Schmidt, and Dan Range really made it happen for me - I felt waaaaaaaaaay more comfortable than I could have hoped.

Your steel sets (non pedal, too) were absolutely inspiring to me.

Thanks again for your help, and for letting me play guitar with you, as well!

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:31 pm    

Earnest, I agree they all played great sets. It was such a great weekend. Only bad part was getting back to frozen conditions.lol

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 7:37 pm    

Great post! Congrats to these gentlemen.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 4:27 am    

That's great to hear. It can really be unnerving performing at these shows, but it gets better with time.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 4:29 am     SWSGA Show

I had the best time that I have had in many years. With a bad bed in different hotel, I was truely exhausted, but it was worth the exhaustion, lol GREAT MUSIC Enjoyed talking to everyone I met. Special thanks to Ross of Sierra steel guitars, bOb, and Chuck Bach of Desert Rose steel guitars
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:56 am    

and you Mr Bovine- never cease to amaze us all- this time Opera!!! Totally amazing- your singer was fantastic!

Paul Haaker

Yorba Linda Calif USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 9:20 am    

Thanks Doug for your kind words. It means a lot coming from a player like you. I have been a fan of yours since the days you were in "Fools Gold" and you were one of my inspirations to learn steel. Having said that, every time I hear you play classical on steel, I have to pick up my jaw off the floor and the Opera singer backed by steel was phenomenal this year. Bravo!

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 11:22 am    

Always glad to hear someone tried something else on the pedal steel such as classical, jazz etc. this instrument is only as limited as the person playing it so kudo's to you. Paul, I'm not surprised you tore it up, glad to hear it for you!

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 2:44 pm     SWSGA : 3 extraordinary first- timers

When I saw Mr.Bovine's post I thought, don't get a big head,you don't even know who he is.I find out he's a world class musician and his word means everything to me.I've been riding on a steel guitar cloud ever since I read it.Thanks so much Mr Bovine.I was lucky enough to catch Christopher and Pauls sets,they were exceptional,really well done.Didn't look like first timers at all(I did).To be mentioned with them was an honor.Thanks to all who complimented me,especially Bobby Black.I had tears of joy after your super nice words.Bobby,JD,and Lloyd Green are the reason I started playing steel.Just one more thing,I can go to my grave a happy man because I got to play jazz with Rick Schmidt(my jazz mentor and good buddy),Dan Range(who did a superb job),Harry Orlove(I had no idea how good he is)and Doug Livingston(a steel players best friend.To say he backs you up is a huge understatement,he just leads you through the songs,its extraordinary) Thanks again to everyone..Steve Catt

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 7:09 am    

You’re too kind Doug. The jam was so much fun, and exactly what I hoped it would be. As always, your set was brilliant.

-t