The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Various Lap Steels (Revised List)
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 8:10 pm    

My wonderful daughter, Katherine Rose, and her fiancé, John Akridge, are due to be married in April, and, in order to buy them a magnificent wedding present, I am having a once-in-a-lifetime clear-out sale.

I’m not a dealer, just someone who has more instruments than I need, and I want to make them available to my Steel Guitar buddies before I offer them for sale elsewhere. I’m not out to make an enormous killing, just to get a reasonable price, but giving the stuff away at next-to-nothing would defeat the object. As I said, I just want a reasonable price. I rarely sell anything. Most of the time I would rather just give things away to my friends, so I’m not a good haggler. I have little idea how much these items are worth, so I’ll start off by offering them as is for you to make offers on. But the idea is to raise money, so I’ll keep them if the offers are too low. Make me an offer. No reasonable offer refused.

AFTER YOU'VE LOOKED AT THESE GOODIES CHECK OUT MY SALE IN THE OTHER INSTRUMENTS AND RECORDING EQUIPMENT SECTIONS.

IN EACH CASE, SHIPPING WILL BE AT COST.

[1] Galveston D6
[2] As above, but rebuilt with two George L pickups. (An offer has to be more than the value of two used George L pickups, or I’ll use them elsewhere.)

[6] Electromuse.
[7] thru [9] Artisans. (Brand new. Red one has leg sockets. All come with gig bags.)

[12] D6 with Whammy Bar. Built by me. (Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. A whammy bar on a steel guitar? Actually, by combining this with your left-hand action you can get new effects you might like. Comes with my name on the front, but, of course, if that doesn’t impress anyone you can peel the letters off pretty easily.)

[13] Melobar 10-string.

[14] A Great Talking Point ! (It was sold at one time as an Hawaiian Guitar/Zither. You plucked the open chords and moved the attached tone bar along the strings. Quite a contortion if you can manage it. I think I’ll stick to a regular steel.)

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 22 Feb 2018 5:27 pm; edited 7 times in total

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 12:46 am    

I’d love to have those tapes! Send me a PM and let me know what you’d like for them. Thanks!

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 3:38 am     Steel tapes

If you sell the tapes individually, I would like to get the Bobby Black and the Speedy West. But I imagine you want to sell the package. Contact me Alex, if you get them. CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 6:21 am    

Let's hope this wedding lasts. Rolling Eyes

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:19 am    

If not sold, let me no bout all the tapes. THANKS

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 9:59 am    

Alex Johnson wrote:
I’d love to have those tapes! Send me a PM and let me know what you’d like for them. Thanks!

I've just suggested $30 to someone else. Are you willing to better that?

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 10:03 am    

Neil Lang wrote:
Let's hope this wedding lasts. Rolling Eyes

Me too. Laughing
They've already been living together for ten years, which is far longer than most marriages last nowadays. Laughing

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 10:06 am    

I got a ton of messages about those tapes and it seems some other people out there may want them more than me! I'll go ahead and let them go to the other bidders. thanks!

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 10:07 am     Re: Steel tapes

Art Beard wrote:
If you sell the tapes individually, I would like to get the Bobby Black and the Speedy West. But I imagine you want to sell the package. Contact me Alex, if you get them. CAA

Yes. Bobby Black is a good guy.

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:54 am     tapes

Sure love to have those steel tapes. I'll make you a deal, send them to me and I'll pay you $1 apiece, record them to digital and send them BACK TO YOU so you can listen to them on your honeymoon. Can you text or call please? Gary 541-294-9530

Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 9:05 am     Silvertone

Curious about the Silvertone, looks like the same guts as my Recording King. Could maybe use it for spare parts if nothing else. . .Is it missing the under-the-fretboard pickup/coil?

And congratulations!

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 6:58 pm    

TTT

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 8:22 pm    

Alan,
Those photos of your daughter and her husband to be are so retro. Outstanding. Nice to see one of you and Bobby Black too. Bobby sure can play. Stevet

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 11:09 am    

steve takacs wrote:
Alan,
Those photos of your daughter and her husband-to-be are so retro. Outstanding. Nice to see one of you and Bobby Black too. Bobby sure can play. Stevet

She and John live a 20's lifestyle. There are no modern appliances in their house. They dress in 20s attire and are restoring two vintage automobiles. Katie dances with the DecoBelles and is an active member of the Art Deco Society.
Their wedding will be a '20s event, with everyone dressed accordingly.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 2:23 pm    

An amazing anomaly that they have no modern day appliances. I like to cook but feel the appliances free up the amount of time that can be used for other endeavors. They obviously enjoy their approach.

I believe a book by them would be of interest to a number of us. Stevet

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 2:52 pm    

I can't imagine them being able to have any leisure time without having the time-saving modern advances like computers, Facebook, twitter, you-tube, forums, blogs, 24-hour cable news, microwaves, blenders, ice-makers, Cuisenarts, Mr. Coffees, espresso makers, ahhhh......they are very intelligent I'll bet.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 6:46 pm     cooks

Alan Brookes wrote:
steve takacs wrote:
Alan,
Those photos of your daughter and her husband-to-be are so retro. Outstanding. Nice to see one of you and Bobby Black too. Bobby sure can play. Stevet

She and John live a 20's lifestyle. There are no modern appliances in their house. They dress in 20s attire and are restoring two vintage automobiles. Katie dances with the DecoBelles and is an active member of the Art Deco Society.
Their wedding will be a '20s event, with everyone dressed accordingly.
So she cooks on a wood stove/oven? That is how some fine cornbread is made.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 7:08 pm    

She has a 1920s gas stove/oven.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 7:13 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
I can't imagine them being able to have any leisure time without having the time-saving modern advances like computers, Facebook, twitter, you-tube, forums, blogs, 24-hour cable news, microwaves, blenders, ice-makers, Cuisenarts, Mr. Coffees, espresso makers, ahhhh......they are very intelligent I'll bet.

Smarter than I am. I waste hours on Facebook. Embarassed

It's hard to believe now that when I was a kid we didn't even have a television or a gramaphone, and I went everywhere on public transport. My Granddad was a shortwave addict. We lived in England and he would twiddle for hours, driving my Grandmother up the wall. Every so often he would come up with something like, "Hey, I've got Radio Moscow", to which she would reply, "What good is that, you old fool, you can't speak Russian...."
Oh Well

Art Beard

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 2:10 am     S12 n tapes

Alan, what do you want 4 the Wood S12 that you built (the one with position markers) and the Bobby Black music? And all the music as a package??
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 2:34 pm     Re: S12 n tapes

Art Beard wrote:
Alan, what do you want 4 the Wood S12 that you built (the one with position markers) and the Bobby Black music? And all the music as a package??
CAA

I've sent you a P.M. about the S12, Art.

The cassettes have been sold.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 11:48 am    

TTT

Art Beard

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 3:07 am     various

Alan is great to deal with and if i wasn't broke all of these choice guitars, or at least a few, would wander thru my hands. Thanks for the great deals Alan. Please give your Daughter my VERY BEST WISHES for an extremely HAPPY Very Happy
LIFE.
CAA

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 5:24 pm    

Alan I'm curious about the National. Could you put another picture? Thanks Joe

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 10:42 am    

Joe Breeden wrote:
Alan I'm curious about the National. Could you put another picture? Thanks Joe
Sorry Joe, the National was sold some time ago, which is why I removed the pictures.