The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  UPS Shipping Damage Claim
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 12:37 pm    

I have an issue with amp damaged in shipping by UPS. Wondering if anyone has experience and or suggestions for dealing with UPS and a claim procedure for this?
Thanks

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 12:57 pm    

Take photos of all damaged exterior packaging, damaged interior packing and amp damage.

Start with the "Customer Service" button on the top right of their website and follow instruction.

One thing will lead to another.

h

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 1:04 pm    

Charlie - You may want to use the SEARCH function up at the top of the page. There has been lots of cussing and discussing about UPS and FedEx issues on the Forum.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 5:30 pm    

I know the sender of the amp has to file the claim.
L

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 5:33 am    

Lefty wrote:
I know the sender of the amp has to file the claim.
L

Typically true. Not true if the consignee paid the carrier.
The claimant must be the one who paid carrier (although it is rare that the consignee pays the carrier, I've seen it done)

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 1:27 pm    

my only advice is that when filing a claim, you have to be kind of annoying. Call them at least once a week to follow up. It can take 6 months to get them to pay up. Also, keep in mind that they will want to destroy anything that is paid for in full by a claim.

When I have had damage in the past, I got them to cover repair cost and shipping cost both ways. That way they don't destroy something that can be repaired (which is 99% of music gear).
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:54 am    

I sold a Twin Reverb to a fellow forumite several years ago that required shipping. I double-boxed the amp, using a lot of rather expensive high-density esterfoam for cushioning that I had on hand for my flight case building hobby. I took it directly to the main UPS office in San Antonio so that they could inspect and approve the packaging, which they did. I purchased $1000.00 worth of what they call “insurance” and was confident that I had done everything I could to prevent any loss.

The buyer received the amp and it was damaged. He sent me photos and to my horror and it looked like the amp had been dropped from quite a distance. The damage to the amp appeared to be repairable, so the buyer agreed to proceed with repairs while I filed a claim with UPS.

Upon filing a claim I was informed that it would take up to 30 days for a decision to be reached. We waited patiently and sure enough on day 30 I received a response. UPS refused to honor the claim, citing that the amp was “not packaged according to UPS guidelines”. Even though a representative inspected it when I took it in and deemed it so. I asked about an appeal and was informed that the decision was final, and that the case was closed.

I felt so bad for the buyer that I send him some money to help cover the repairs. Happily the amp did live on, and to my knowledge he still owns and uses it.

Lesson learned for me....The hard way....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 8:24 am    

Save the packaging also. With USPS I ended up having to take the box in. They still argued the packaging was insufficient (and it was insufficient by my standards). The guitar had some heavy boxes stacked on top of it. The strings scored all the frets during the ride. I finally got them to pay for having the guitar repaired.
Lefty

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 3:33 pm    

Amp claims are very tough. You've been given the procedure basics; some of the issues change depending on the nature of the problem. External - i.e. cabinet - damage is simpler to analyze assuming you didn't throw any of the packaging way and took plenty of pictures.

But internal damage - broken tubes, speakers tearing loose, electronic problems - are almost impossible to recover. Proving such damage was caused by the carrier is next to impossible.

FWIW box markings like "this side up" "fragile" and so forth are irrelevant. Only drivers see that stuff and have no time to read it anyway. 90+% of the actual handling is done by machines that simply can't read that stuff.

If the amp was packed to survive a 6+' fall onto concrete there may be compensation. If not it probably wasn't packed well enough, and barring inspection prior to shipping the chances of a "drop-type" package claim resulting in recovery are very low. The only amp damage claims I've seen recovered were crush claims and one where a forklift pierced a box.

FWIW inspection by a UPS store prior to shipping is NOT good enough - only a UPS employee can properly inspect a package prior to shipping. Even then it's best for the seller to take pictures during the inspection.

But either way you won't be compensated - you deal only with the seller, other than allowing the carrier to inspect the amp, packaging and pictures.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:07 pm    

whatever you do, you always have them pack the guitar/amp , you can pack it all you want, but they can always say it was not sufficient enough, when they pack, they can't say anything... I always pay extra to have them pack... and make sure you insure it on full value...

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:47 pm    

Thanks for all the advice. This amp was very securely packaged but was dropped so hard that the amp broke apart at the top seam.The main component damage issue is the foot switch multi pin jack on the chassis causing the channel switch and reverb to be inoperable.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 7:19 pm    

don't listen to people who tell you to pack it really good, bullet proof, and don't know what, they can always break it no matter how well you pack it... you can put some bubble wrap or something like that inside the guitar case, but always have them pack it, that is the only way they can't get out of it if guitar/amp gets damaged...

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 2:46 am    

And then there's the false claims. Where the receiver gen's up some fake damage enough to look convincing in photos, and forces YOU to file a claim and get them money.

And a second false claim, where a seller sends you a damaged item, and wants to claim it was damaged during shipping and again files a fake claim.

Poor packaging, fraud, and the inherent risk with a heavy but delicate item in shipping make it tough to defend a claim. But they do cover damages if the claim is good enough. Good luck!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:20 pm    

Quote:
but always have them pack it, that is the only way they can't get out of it if guitar/amp gets damaged...

That doesn't always work if it's done at a UPS store. Very few "store" employees" actually work for UPS and that's where the sticking point is.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional