The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker replacement time
FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 5:55 pm    

After 30 plus years its time to replace my BW speakers for my Sterio steel rig. I want to replace with a lighter weight speaker that will fit the same holes as the BW. How about some feed back from ya’ll.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 8:38 pm    

I retired 4 of my 1501's and replaced with Eminence EPS-15C steel guitar speakers. To me, they sound similar to a JBL D130, but handle more power and are louder SPL 100.2, more efficient. Weigh 8 pounds. I'm playing through a Revelation preamp into a Carvin HT400 and two speakers. Volume knobs on the Carvin set at 10 o'clock and plenty of clean volume to make pants legs flutter. Love the speakers.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 11:26 pm    

Speakers seem to be very standardized regarding size and hole patterns. I think most any 15s being sold today would fit. If you want lighter, then obviously neo speakers are what you should be look at. In 15s that means either Eminence or Telonics. Maybe Jensen has something as well.

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 5:55 am    

Thanke Paul & Dennis , great info.

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 6:18 am     Ohms?

I forgot to ask . Are the Eminence EPS C 15 4 ohm’s ? I just want to make sure they are compatable with my Walker Sterio Steel Amp. If they are 8 ohms will that be ok with my Sterio steel?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:20 am    

The EPS is a 4 Ohm, as is the Sica (I like the Sica).
Running an 8Ohm speaker in a solid state amp rated at 4 Ohms will be fine, although it will reduce the output somewhat.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 9:49 am    

As Lane said about the 8ohm load. If I recall correctly, an 8ohm speaker in a 200w output amp (Session 400) will reduce the output to about 120 watts. I made the mistake of adding a 4ohm extension speaker parallel onto my Session 400 several decades ago and dropping the two speaker load on the amp to 2 ohms. The amp ran hot and broke up easily. It's safer to go a little higher to 8ohms, rather than lower. You'll get maximum output at 4 ohms. Since your Walker is stereo with 4ohm load per side, you won't have a problem with two of the EPS-15C's. The EPS weighs 8 pounds.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 11:41 am    

It should be said, not everyone likes the sound of neo speakers. I wouldn't sell off the Black Widows until after you've had time to see if you like the neos. Neos are lighter for sure, but they don't have the crispness in the low end of speakers like ceramic magnet Black Widows, or JBLs. To my ear they sound mushy down low. The mid range and high end are fine.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 3:56 pm     Neo Speaker

I replaced my Black Widow with a Telonics neo speaker
sounds great and much lighter .

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:04 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
I retired 4 of my 1501's and replaced with Eminence EPS-15C steel guitar speakers. To me, they sound similar to a JBL D130, but handle more power and are louder SPL 100.2, more efficient.

JBL D-130 sensitivity rating is 103 db SPL/1 watt/1 meter; 60 watts RMS. The Eminence is NOT louder per watt, but it'll take a lot more power.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:56 pm    

My post isn't written well. I was comparing the EPS (100.2)as louder compared to the 1501.
I bought my Session 400 in 1974 which came with a D130F and blew it shortly thereafter. Peavey replaced it with another one and it was short lived. Luckily, Peavey came out with the BW at that time and I never had trouble again. However, each one of the 1501 speakers that I have, has a different tone when compared in matching cabinets. Each of the 4 BW's are from a different era. One is a deep basket. The other 3 are shallow basket. Each has a different shaped magnet. The differences seem to be in the midrange.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:59 pm    

Another tick for the Telonics 15" Neo speakers, I am running them in my rack cabinets and just love the weight and the sound of them -- I played BW 1501's for the last 30 years and I prefer the Telonics !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.