The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to find strings for A7 pedal
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 8:39 am    

Hi all, this is my first time venturing on this particular subforum (my first pedal, a Fender 400, arriving today or tomorrow)...I'm planning on tuning to A7 to use a simplified version of Basil's copedent...G A C# E G A C# E base tuning...string gauges he provides as follows:
String 1, E: 014p
String 2, C#: 017p
String 3, A: 022p
String 4, G: 024p
String 5, E: 030w
String 6, C#: 036w
String 7, A: 044w
String 8, G: 050w

My question is, #1, does anyone know of sets that are in existence that are "close enough" for this? And #2, if I need, instead, to order custom sets from juststrings as individual strings, is there anything unique about pedal steel strings? Are they just standard length electric guitar strings? I know some of them use semi-flat windings...I certainly wouldn't mind that as I like a warmer tone and slick feel.

Thanks for any advice!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 9:13 am    

Just buy them by the gauge from b0b on the Forum.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 9:43 am    

Funny, I've glossed over the header so many times I didn't realize it was even there! Thanks for the tip. Looks like the store is down for the next week or so for maintenance/travel. In the meantime, I found a set that was pretty close (SIT lap steel C6 8 string) that just needed three additional strings (smaller first two and smaller 8th string) to get me basically matching the specs I was after. We'll see how it goes, but I'll keep the site's store in mind!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 7:34 am    

Nic, keep in mind that the string gauges on an all-pull guitar like the Fender aren't all that critical. Going up or down a thou or two is easily compensated for due to the simplicity of the mechanism. The A7th tuning is fine unless you're trying to emulate the classic country stuff of the late '50s and '60s. Should you want to do that stuff, then you'll want to go with a tuning which has the chromatic 1st & 2nd strings of the standard E9th. Luckily, changes in basic and pedal tunings on the old cable Fenders are very easy!

As far as lubrication, do it sparingly, and then only if the mechanism is stuck or sluggish.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 5:45 am    

There's also Live Steel Strings, who will make up custom sets at no extra charge, and save your custom sets for ready reordering.

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 6:31 am    

Live Steel Strings does not supply 44`s 50`s and 60`s. I have to complete the order with D`addarios each time.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 10:14 am    

Well I had the gauges wrong anyway, but once I sorted out the right ones I headed off to the local Guitar Center and got them in individual strings...not cost effective but hey, I wanted to get going with it. Other than a sticky sharping lever on one string...probably should start a thread on that...I'm in business!