The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Golf on TV - who's the steel player?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 5:06 pm    

The PGA Tour is currently in Hawaii and I'm watching intermittently.

There's a lot of incidental music behind the fade-ins and fade-outs. It's all standard stuff and distinctly Hawaiian, and steel guitar is featured prominently. It's not my favourite music, I have to say, but the tone and execution of whoever the player might be is stunningly good.

Does anyone have a clue to whom the TV people might go to for this? I'd love to know the player's name.

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 5:16 pm    

I was wondering the same thing Roger. I've watched both tournaments in Hawaii the past 2 weeks and the bumper music is awesome. I even rewound one section and recorded it on my phone. I wonder how I could post it on here? I'm not very tech savvy. Whoever it is plays very well

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 5:28 pm    

Maybe library music of some sort, Tim? I wonder if it's done there on the Island.

Someone must have a clue.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 6:09 pm    

Are you talking about a live video where you see background band with steel?? OR; this is just background music?? Because I do a lot of background music recording for movies and commercials...and instrumental music can be had in a BIG way for Hawaiian instrumental music, and the TV broadcast has that downloaded and plays it in the background on cue.
Ricky

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 7:27 pm    

I couldn't say, Ricky, but this is emphatically Hawaiian style and tone with no hint of pedals.

I'm not familiar with the genre's subtleties but, if this had been years ago, my money would have been it being Jerry Byrd.

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 7:33 pm    

It's just bumpers going into and out of commercials Ricky. Just a few bars of music.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 8:13 pm    

Oh yeah like Tim S. mentioned....> Yes recorded instrumentals... and yes Roger; Hawaiian Music is played on Hawaiian steel guitars...that is with NO pedals... just like me pictured here> my Hawaiian band: "The Island Echoes"

(here's a whole Jerry Byrd Album)
https://youtu.be/PY5xiOOmD-M

And yes we did many instrumentals that are on some "Bumpers" in some commercials and one movie soundtrack.
But I would say if you hear awesome tone and hawaiian instrumental segments on the Golf Match on TV from Hawaiian...it is probably a few of the Millions of songs Jerry Byrd recorded.
Ricky

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 5:31 am    

I didn't know you played that style. I have only ever seen reference to you in connection with pedal steel guitar. I apologise if I've ruffled some feathers here.

"and yes Roger; Hawaiian Music is played on Hawaiian steel guitars...that is with NO pedals... just like me pictured here> my Hawaiian band: "The Island Echoes"

I thought that was what I had said. If it is you, then congratulations. It's very good indeed.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:01 am    

No it's not me on what you Heard Roger; I would know for sure because I'm the composer of my songs I record and they have to pay for any music they use...and I didn't get a dime from Golf broadcast...ha....(course I've won a LOT of money playing golf...ha..)

Ricky

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 2:57 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
No it's not me on what you Heard Roger; I would know for sure because I'm the composer of my songs I record and they have to pay for any music they use...and I didn't get a dime from Golf broadcast...ha....(course I've won a LOT of money playing golf...ha..)

Ricky

Did you play Charles Barkley Laughing ? He's a 25 HCP !

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 8:07 pm    

No I didn't play Charles Barkley; which is good for him because I'm a Scratch Golfer.....
Heck even the most handicap I ever had was a 15; but I was only 12 years old.
Ricky

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 2:44 am    

Ricky is multi talented, he can play Country and Western ! Every now and then we can see him on RFD's True Country, great show. Ricky is a great player.

The clips we hear are on many TV shows and commercials are "leased" sound clips from various artists .

We record tracks , upload them to a leasing site , who knows which one, someone is looking for music, they Lease the tracks for a set amount of time . If they need to run the shows or commercials longer they re-new the lease. Sometimes they only lease a short segment of the track . Sometimes the lease is 30 days, sometimes it's a year or more. Learning who it is on the tracks is near impossible unless you know someone connected .

Royalties are paid from the lease thru the hosting track service.

It's sounds easy but there are MILLIONS of tracks available , if we produce and upload 100 tracks to a HOST service, now there is a million + one hundred !

The marketing is still the same, if we know someone or are connected to a marketing/production house, we point them to our hosted music. All tracks are connected to BMI or ACSAP , the legality is secure. Nobody files a lawsuit saying you stole my music. THIS is how it is done now. But we still have to be connected or we just have tracks in the weeds that nobody will ever find .

Here is one site, check it out...

https://www.audiosparx.com/

I have several tracks up there, a couple were actually picked up for some internet music playlist. So far I think I earned about $3. Very Happy

put my name in the search box and you can see how the tracks are offered.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website