Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More newbie questions
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 8:54 am    

http://www.billycooperssteelguitar.com/

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 8:59 am    

On the 5th lever, I'm still a beginner myself and have never played a guitar with one on it. Some of the more experienced folks on here could probably answer that one better. I would only comment that I've not seen any beginner material that uses it.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 10:32 am    

Verticals are not necessary for beginners. It doesn't hurt to have one, but, like a zero pedal, it's not something that's needed.

My advise is that you get a guitar with 3 and 4 and worry about adding a vertical after you've played for a few years.

Justin Schack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 10:49 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Verticals are not necessary for beginners. It doesn't hurt to have one, but, like a zero pedal, it's not something that's needed.

My advise is that you get a guitar with 3 and 4 and worry about adding a vertical after you've played for a few years.

Thank you, Mike!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 6:39 am    

I'm pretty sure that most modern guitars are predrilled for additional pedals and knees, so if you decide you want to add them later, you just install a kit.
I'd just make sure that this is the case, then order 3&4 and add more knees as the desire strikes.

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 5:43 pm    

Also, keep in mind that if you are a very tall person, you may need to order with longer than standard legs and pedal rods, so that the guitar can be set up as parallel to the ground as possible.

I still need to order me some longer legs and rods as I have to tilt my guitar at quite an angle just to fit under it ok.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 6:41 pm     Opinion on Pads

Justin, Regarding a Pad, opinions will vary. This is my humble opinion. A single neck with a pad (SD10) naturally places you in the basic body position the D10 player is, in relation to the front neck of a double neck guitar ( more or less) as in body, arms, hands position relative to the strings and fretboard. It makes a difference in "development of the hands". Without the pad you naturally will be at a different position relative to strings and fretboard. One is not right or wrong or better or worse in choosing SD10 vs S10, just different, if that makes sense?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:49 am    

As far as the vertical lever, no it is not "necessary". I just switched from a D10 to an SD12 with 3 pedals an 4 knee levers. My D10 had 5 pedals and 6 knee levers working the E9 neck. Had to reduce weight. I've made it a challenge to me to try to go back to basics.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 8:30 pm    

Instead of having Vertical Lever for lowering 5th and 10th strings, from B to Bb,

you can simply slide back one fret while engaging 4th and 8th strings, E to F raises.

Try it on strings 4 and 5

Same notes result as if you had engaged the B to Bb change at the original fret.