The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Special 130
Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 8:40 am    

Picked up one of these for $80! Needed a lot of cleanup and DeOxit but the inside was spotless and now works perfectly. I want to replace the Scorpion with something more steel friendly. Will be for rehearsals and small gigs so the wattage is fine. Can anyone recommend a 12” speaker that’s not ridiculously heavy? Thinking about the eminence Patriot or Paul Franklin. Any advice appreciated!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 1:17 pm     Speaker

I'd recommend the Eminence TT-12 or else Tim Marcus' new Milkman 12" speaker. Both are very light weight. I have the TT-12 and it's a great speaker. If it's a Milkman, you know it will always deliver! Finally, the Telonics would be a worthy contender too.

Search page #2 of the new products tab for Tim's speaker. Check Ebay for the TT12. Check out Telonics website for speaker prices.

Don

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 9:52 am    

Don, thanks for the info, I heard a TT yesterday which sounded great, I may end up springing for it. For the time being I just got a Blue Marvel on the cheap, so I'll start with that, should be an improvement.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 2:58 pm     Special 130

Great amp! Great buy!

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 3:51 pm    

Chris... I have a Sica 12" in an 80's Peavey Bandit(replaced the Scorpion) It sounds great and they're about 110.00 new... Antique Electronics Supply carries them...
P-A-PL12B3S-8
Item ID: 001980
Speaker - Sica Bass, 12", Neodymium PL12B3S, 350W, Aluminum

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 8:32 pm    

I have a Special 130 I bought without a cabinet, and put it into an old Pacer cabinet. I modified the speaker baffle to accept a 15" and put a Sica 4 ohm speaker in it, and also did a couple of other cosmetic changes. It sounds great with a steel.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:19 am    

Darwin that is handsome. Still haven't had time to put the Ken Fox mod on but I'm liking the amp so far.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 10:36 am    

You always do it right Darvin! Nice rig

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 12:22 pm    

is there anything more to modifying the baffle than cutting a bigger hole?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 1:15 pm    

A 15" speaker won't fit in a standard Special 130 cabinet. I put this amp in a Pacer cabinet which is the same basic size as the LTD400, Nashville 400 and others. The Pacers had 12" speakers, so the hole has to be cut out bigger, and the screws that hold the speaker put in the right place. I made a new baffle for this amp out of plywood, the originals were particle board and tend to disintegrate over the years, especially if they get damp. Peavey left a little "pad" to mount the LOGO hanging down over the edge of the speaker which I never liked so I just moved the LOGO over to the side.

Another little "touch" I do to all of my amps is replace the "cup" or "finishing" washers with stainless steel ones with a flange. The originals have a sharp edge that will cut into the Tolex which I don't like. They were also plated steel which will rust after several years. The stainless flanged type will not. I use stainless screws on everything too. I also do some work on western saddles and replace all of the cup washers on them with the flanged type. Sweat, especially horse sweat is acidic and anything steel or plated steel rusts pretty quickly on a saddle.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 8 Jan 2018 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 1:21 pm    

Nice amp, heavy so a Neo speaker will help in transport.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 3:57 pm     Special 130

I just got my Special 130 going again. Put it in a Nash 400 cab and installed a EPS 15. I am using it for 10 string lap steel and Tele/Supro. What a great great sounding amp. It and the LTD 400 are my go to for gigs these days. I always though the 130 was gonna burst out of the little cab it was in and just explode. Such a powerful amp. The Nash cab and 15 are really nice. Glad to see Special 130 still being talked about.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 4:12 pm    

I've heard these are excellent fiddle amps too.

I had forgotten about this one I had several years ago. I made a dovetail joined pine cabinet for it and used cane grill cloth (idea robbed from Mesa Boogie). I used some kind of 15" Eminence I had laying around. It sounded and looked really good. I can't remember who bought this one, probably somebody on the Forum.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 5:06 pm    

I remember that one Darvin. It was before you moved as I recall, but was gone pretty fast. Another beautiful job!

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 7:23 am    

With all the praise for the Special 130, I remembered that I have a Special 150 chassis in my parts bin. I used the cab for a "Blue Stripe" Bandit chassis.
I guess I need to fix the chassis to see what these really sound like!

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 12:57 pm    

man there are some dressed up Peaveys around here!

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 4:32 pm    

I just made a nice clear pine cabinet that fits the Peavey Special 130 or Nashville 400 chassis and one 12" speaker. $200 + shipping from 29108. Will post pix soon. JS

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 4:53 pm    

Here's my version!