The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Dual Pro 8 Console - question
T. Andy Jones

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 8:45 am    

Hi there! I'm new to the forum. Just got this for Christmas and have been having a blast learning my way around it (by the way, I'm only guessing it's called a Dual Pro 8 Console - not sure of the year either).

One thing I've noticed is that on the near neck, when I hit the 1st (high) string there is a double note buzz sound like an octave lower for a second or two. I checked to see if the string is clearing everything inside (I know there's a plastic insert inside the trap pickups that can get warped). When I press the palm of my hand on the pickup and strike the string, the double note goes away. At this point I can't tell if there's something mechanically loose with the pickup itself or if by adding mass to the pickup itself, it kills the wolf tone. Any ideas about what I can do to diagnose the issue and correct?

Regards,
Andy

Keith Hamm

Three Rivers, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 8:37 pm     Vuzz

Hi T.Andy, from what I have read on the forum the pickup bobbin shrinks. A very unprofessional option that works for me involves gently sticking a wooden matchstick between the bobbin and the metal enclosure. I would imagine others have devised more elegant solutions.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 3:49 pm     Mine does that too....

Andy; I have two of those Fender Dual 8 Pro's and the first string on the front neck (of each one) does the same thing you described. Someday I'm going to have it repaired by Rick Alieo. He told me that he can fix that problem with those old pick-ups. It looks like somebody found you a real nice one. I have one just like yours and I also have a blonde one. Tommy..... P.S. You should check out Chris Scruggs on youtube. He knows how to play these things real good.

T. Andy Jones

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 12:11 pm     Re: Mine does that too....

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
Andy; I have two of those Fender Dual 8 Pro's and the first string on the front neck (of each one) does the same thing you described. Someday I'm going to have it repaired by Rick Alieo. He told me that he can fix that problem with those old pick-ups. It looks like somebody found you a real nice one. I have one just like yours and I also have a blonde one. Tommy..... P.S. You should check out Chris Scruggs on youtube. He knows how to play these things real good.

Thanks for the response. Did he indicate what the issue was with the pickup?

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 7:58 pm    

When you press on the top of the pickup, you are stabilizing the bobbin. Maybe it has shrunk a little, or maybe that's how it was made.
I fixed the same problem by placing a piece of thin cardboard, cut from a cereal box, on the inside of the top half of the pickup housing. With the pickup back together there was good stabilizing "pinch" on the bobbin. Buzz was gone.

Hope this helps.

T. Andy Jones

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:15 am    

Thanks! So in order to attempt this, do I need to take the pickup apart in some way? I'm familiar with guitar pickups, but I don't quite know how these trap pickups are made.
Dave Mayes wrote:
When you press on the top of the pickup, you are stabilizing the bobbin. Maybe it has shrunk a little, or maybe that's how it was made.
I fixed the same problem by placing a piece of thin cardboard, cut from a cereal box, on the inside of the top half of the pickup housing. With the pickup back together there was good stabilizing "pinch" on the bobbin. Buzz was gone.

Hope this helps.

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:58 am    

Yes Andy, you'll need to take the pickup apart. To do the job the way I did it, you'll need:

Basic soldering skills.
Solder gun - I use a Weller WP25.
Rosin core solder.
Solder-wick.
Small solder lug.
Electrical tape.
WD40 - maybe.
Wire clippers.
Cereal box.
Facial tissue to dry your eyes when you start crying. Just kidding.

I'll walk you though it if you decide to give it a go.
Dave.