The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New To PSG (and have some questions)
Cameron Lewis

Southern California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 12:55 pm    

Hi everyone, I've recently taken up psg and have a Fessenden 6-shooter right now (six strings/2 pedals) and am planning on upgrading to a s-10 3x5 or a 4x5 and wanted to ask how big of a difference does that 4th pedal make? If you have one do you use it often in gigging/recording settings? I'm looking to play mostly current pop/county and Nashville/pop type music and mostly in the studio for recording.

My second question is more open ended- I don't really plan on playing a c6 neck so I'm leaning toward just a single E9th neck guitar... but I want to hear how often some other studio session players typically use the C6 neck to see if I should invest in that now for the future. Thanks Smile

Cameron Lewis
Found Recording Studios

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 1:44 pm    

Welcome, Cameron. PSG is addictive - I hope your doctor warned you.

The 4th pedal is a relatively modern development and what it does is by no means standard. Tuition materials don't mention it and 3x5 will keep you busy for a long time. But no reason to turn down a guitar that already has one.

As for C6, this is more personal. The first ever pedal steel I got my hands on was a D10, and after I learnt a bit of E9, I got curious about the C6 and decided I liked what it could do. (I'm a retired trombone player and I like the close harmony it can do!) It's good for rock'n'roll too. Again, if an affordable D10 comes your way don't reject it out of hand. They're heavier to handle but they look impressive.

Cameron Lewis

Southern California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 2:03 pm    

True Ian... I'm already addicted and I've only had a taste. Thanks for the info!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 2:20 pm    

Cameron, first off, a simple solution - buy an instrument that has three pedals, but which a fourth could easily be added. Problem solved.

That eliminates, for example, the Stage One, but not the Zumsteel Encore.

There are so many answers to this question. Lloyd Green still uses a single neck guitar with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. And it does not get any better than his playing! Honestly, the fourth pedal on E9 does not get much use by most players, as 3 pedals are standard, and most guitars come with that, most tab is written for that, and even the pros use those three pedals way more than the fourth, on average.

I would say the most important thing is to buy an instrument that holds it's value. Odds are, you are not done with buying these contraptions! I started with a Stage One, switched to a Uni 12-string, then realized that I would be happier with a D10, so bought one. Even then, I switched again, for reasons unrelated to versatility of the tuning. But each transition cost me nothing more than shipping as I bought instruments that hold their resale value.

Good luck!

Cameron Lewis

Southern California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 2:27 pm    

Thanks Douglas. Appreciate the helpful advice Smile

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 3:04 pm    

I'm a big fan of 'more is more' but from where you're at, I would not give any thought to P4. If a particular guitar that comes to your attention has it, cool. But I would not have it in mind at all to look for or hold out for it. It is not the sort of thing that you will come up against (a lesson that requires the use of a 4th pedal) any time in the next few years of discovery and learning. MHO.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 3:53 pm    

I,m new too. And 3x4 gives me more than enough to get into trouble.

Daniel Haymore

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 4:08 pm    

Completely agree with Jon.

Nobody needs a 4th pedal. I'm not saying they can't be fun, but certainly shouldn't be a consideration in my opinion. Lloyd Green gets by without one.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 4:44 pm    

Don't worry about a 4th pedal. I have one, and use it maybe 1% of the time, if that much. 3 pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers are all you will need for the next 20 years.