The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar holders LOL
Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 6:40 am    

I know steel stuff aint cheap, but a bar holder that holds a drink is $75???? wow now that's a mark up. LOL

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 10:16 am    

My suggestion---Don't buy it. Rolling Eyes

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 11:21 am     Lol

Ya know doubt. But my point is $75 sell 250 $45 sell 2000. Its plastic and a screw. I work for a manufacturing facility and I know for a fact to manufacture this would cost pennies on the dollar.
Why stick it to the little guy? Equipment costs enough.
I don't see why a 1000% mark up is necessary. I get handmade items and custom items cost more, I know, I just ordered a custom pedal steel. But something that is spit out by the thousands sitting in a warehouse collecting dust would move faster at a more reasonable price. Not only would it benefit the consumer but the dealer would sell more.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 11:23 am    

I suggest you write a letter to the manufacturer and enlighten him. Very Happy
Erv

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 12:01 pm    

I just sent away to the Williams steel guitar company and bout a drink holder that clips on to a leg for ten bucks it's on the Williams web site!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 12:27 pm    

I'd like to see the $75 one. Whoa!

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 4:04 pm     here ya go

https://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/product/qwikstix-deluxe-bar-holder/

sorry $74.99 I was a penny off. A piece of plastic and a wing screw LOL seeing is believing.

Laughing Whoa!

Last edited by Brad Nelson on 12 Jan 2018 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 4:09 pm    

I wonder if something like this would work on a steel leg. Only $14!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gator-frameworks-microphone-stand-accessory-tray-with-drink-holder-and-guitar-pick-tab

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 4:12 pm     wow

Awesome sir thank you for the link, thats more like it!!!
Just ordered one.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 8:08 pm     Bar holders LOL

This was what I came up with on my MSA years ago.
I built the pad then seen the lost space. With the 12 string key head I had room for a holder that held my 10 String bar and Nylon DoBro bar.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 11:44 pm    

Thanks,Joseph! now I have a place for more of my junk!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 14 Jan 2018 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 11:52 pm    

Compared to the rental price of a 6-pack of good craft beer nowadays, $75.00 may not be such a bad deal after all.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 6:43 am     Re: here ya go

Brad Nelson wrote:
https://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/product/qwikstix-deluxe-bar-holder/

sorry $74.99 I was a penny off. A piece of plastic and a wing screw LOL seeing is believing.

Laughing Whoa!

that looks very nice, and professionally designed and made... to make tooling, and set up a production is what is expensive, and then how many can you sell? it is specifically made for a steel players, how many do you have to sell to actually get the money you invested in , out of the deal? It is expensive, and I would never buy one, but then again, I understand where manufacturer is coming from...

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 8:22 am    

lol ok

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 9:26 am    

I don't know how well some of those mic stand attachments would work on a pedal steel leg.
A mic stand is vertical, a steel leg is slanted.
You might spill your drink. Whoa!

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 11:19 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1504/12568_IMG_3306_1.jpg

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 11:37 am    

I've always wanted something to hold my clutter
that seems to gather around my instrument and bug the heck out of me.
This thread made me get off my big fat bottom and order one of these from Amazon.
I use a keyboard stand to set my guitars on that has vertical legs so it should work.
It holds a drink and I have several bars I made wooden holders for that will fit nicely on this.
Hopefully.
What the heck, it was less than $20.

Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 11:50 am    

I play with the side-compartment lid of my Steelers' Choice seat open. It's very close to level and can accommodate an almost endless amount of clutter. Picks, bar and tuners go in the lid, drinks will stand up in the deep part of the side-pocket.

When I'm doing a sit-down (orchestra-pit) gig I take my steel-seat, even if I'm only playing guitar or banjo. It's great for spare strings, picks, etc. All the horn-players seem to bring little detachable shelves that fit on their music-stands for their mouth-pieces, lubrication bottles and whatnot.

Brad Nelson

Greenwich Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 3:44 pm     cool

I guess my post may have been harsh didn't mean to cause any hurt feelings just one guy whining about prices lol. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 7:41 pm    

Not harsh at all. For $75 I would want the tone bar and some picks thrown in, and let’s see...howbout a free drink?

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 3:16 am    

OK--I confess that I have one of those Quik Stix holders. I bought it used on Ebay for $25 and thought about it long and hard before I bought it at that price. When I saw what they sold for new, I went ahead and got it. I'm glad I did.

It's made of heavy die cast/machined aluminum. It fits the leg of my guitar very well and stays put. All in all, it's a great design and very well made. And very expensive...

Dave

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 4:59 am    

If it is made from cast aluminum, finish machined, and powder coated ---- it's a bargain at $75.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 6:43 am    

I always note the compliments and accolades thrown at each new builder that comes along, and yet it seems none of them has been thoughtful enough (smart enough?) to incorporate someplace on the cabinet for parking a bar, picks, and tuning wrench. Maybe a recessed area near the keyhead lined with plastic or felt? A tilt-out compartment? A small, slide-out shelf or drawer? I'd have thought this would have been addressed by now and I find it a little embarrassing that we should have to hang some sort of "dingus" on a new $5,000 - $7,000 instrument. It's sorta like buying a new car or truck and then having to go to Pep Boys to get a cup-holder.

But then again, maybe I'm just the odd duck for looking past all the same-old, same-old...pretty wood and shiny aluminum...for something really practical and useful.

Alien

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:52 am    

Thanks to Damir for his comments about the real costs of bringing a product to market, something most people (through no fault of their own) have no clue about.

I also wanted to add that the dealer markup (typically 100%) on a small item like this accounts for half that price...in almost all cases, the dealer makes a fair bit more profit (lot's more in many cases) than the manufacturer. If there's a distributor between the manufacturer and the dealer which is very typical...the manufacturer makes even less.

I've been involved in product development, manufacturing, sales and distribution of high end products for 40 years and I can assure you....manufacturers of a specialty product like this are not out to "....stick it to the little guy?".

All that said, $75 does seem expensive for something like that and Erv had the best input on its price...."don't buy it". Which you didn't, so good on ya!

Enjoy your new drink holder!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 8:36 am    

I'll place my bet that this was made for slide guitar players, not steel guitar players. Still overpriced.