The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal specs and technique
Justin Jardine

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 2:37 pm    

Hey everyone,

A while back I bought the cheapest volume pedal I could find online thinking, "How different could they really be?" Obviously that was a bit naive, so I need to get serious about a nice(r) volume pedal for my steel. I was wondering what you all look for in a volume pedal. Any input on your technique (e.g. Where does your pedal sit when playing at normal volume without swells?) is also much appreciated! Thanks!

- Justin

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 4:20 pm    

There are normally two different types: those used by pedal steelers (sitting down), and those used by straight guitar players (standing up). Within those two types, there are powered pedals (those that need batteries or a wall-wart) and non-powered (passive) pedals that operate without power. The non-powered ones operate exactly like the volume controls in most electric guitars.

Aside from those considerations, there are also considerations for price, size & weight, versatility, durability, and the maintenance/repair of them.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 5:19 pm    

There's also the factor of how much physical resistance (for want of a better term) the pedal offers to your foot. Volume pedals designed for steel guitar tend to have an easy-floating feel--though they should still stay where they are when you take your foot off them. I have Ernie Ball volume pedals I bought for stand-up guitar, and I'd find it hard to use them expressively on steel because they have a stiffer feel, i.e. harder to move--not very hard, mind you, but harder.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 5:38 pm    

I have a Goodrich and a Moyo (actually two of those). I love my precious little Moyo. Its well-built, feels great and can fit in your pocket.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=300664&highlight=moyo

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 7:29 am    

Since no one asked..........

What pedal are you using?

What aspect of it are you having problems with?
Physical size?
Tone/loading/tone sucking/etc?

One thing that no one mentioned is the pot value, which affects the pickup loading and/or tone sucking (treble loss).
In my limited experience, just as a general statement, you probably want at least a 500K pot in the pedal (assuming it's a passive pedal).
You can get by with less depending upon the rest of your set up, but if the only thing you have between the guitar and amp is the VP, 500K is probably the minimum value.

Justin Jardine

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 2:31 am    

It's this cheap 100K pedal: https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Bespeco-VM12-mono-Volume-Pedal-with-I-O-Socketsae/art-KEY0003231-000

The first issue I noticed was that the pot seemed to wear out pretty quickly, so it's useless for recording because of the crackling. I don't have much of an ear for subtler tone sucking, but I can only guess that it *could* be better than what a 20 dollar pedal from a discounter has to offer Smile

The second issue could be something I just have to get used to with technique in general, but it's difficult to get these nice, smooth/slow swells. Obviously I could just open it up slower, but I was thinking that some pedals may have a different volume arc that would be more conducive to these swells and more intuitive to work with.

I also typically play with the volume all the way up and use the volume pedal only on notes I want to fade in on, but I was watching a video of a player who played with the volume at maybe around half and then kicked up the volume to sustain notes as they fade out. Is that what you all do?

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 3:23 am    

You might look to see if you could put the Goodrich pot in it...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 5:52 am    

Stage One volume pedals are made for pedal steel players and only cost $100.
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/volume_pedal

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 6:52 am    

Quote:
...but I was watching a video of a player who played with the volume at maybe around half and then kicked up the volume to sustain notes as they fade out. Is that what you all do?

Yes!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 7:14 pm    

Many of us don't even run as high as half.
If you can stand to be in front of your amp if you play wide open, your amp is too low.