The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new linkon and c6 questions
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 5:23 am    

i bought this linkon guitar because i'd like to get into playing c6, plus it was super cheap up here in canada.

i need to get some pull rods to switch the e9 levers to my liking, but the c6 has me stumped on what to do...it only has 7 pedals total, that's 4 for c6 instead of the "normal" 5. to make a long story short, there is no pedal 4 for raising the a's to b's, which i'd figure would be an important change.

i guess my question is should i try to find and add another pedal, add the usual p4 pedal to an e9th pedal, or add that change to a lever, or do without it entirely? suggestions please!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 6:43 am    

P4 is not as fashionable as it was and a lot of guitars no longer include it. Many will applaud your desire for it but others do without. P7 covers a large part of it.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 7:52 am    

I wish I could remember what specific songs changed my mind, but about two months after I decommissioned my P4 to add a zero pedal to the E9th neck, I heard some old-school western swing guys squeezing the 8th string from 6 to M7 (I think it was on Tom Morrell's last record before he went back to non-pedal), and regretted it.
I bought the parts, and P4 and the C pedal do double duty now. If you like old school western swing and lush pop stuff (think Kern, Berlin and Gershwin), P4 is a cool change.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 8:06 am    

Last I heard, Wayne Link was still active in Winnipeg. It might be worth trying to contact him to see about getting some parts.

I probably use P4 least, but it's still nice to have, and C6 knee levers are probably going to be hard to manage.

That's mighty pretty. It's interesting how far right all the pedals and levers are situated.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 8:27 am    

thanks guys. for now i suppose i can get started on the c6 without the change. i might try to throw it on one of the other levers just for fun.

i've contacted wayne through the forum about parts, but i'm not sure that his email address is up to date. if anyone has more up to date contact info, i'd sure appreciate it.

ken, it sure is a looker. check out the very canadian fret markers!

i think the pedals being to the right is an optical illusion. the placement feels similar to my sho bud.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 8:47 am    

Nice axe. As I recall these were quality guitars that sound and play nicely.

I don't see any other pulls for the C neck on your RKL. You could put the A to B raise there easily by just adding a pull train.

FWIW, that's what I do, except I only raise 4, not 8, and have a half stop at Bb. I use it all the time and wouldn't want to be without it. If you don't want the intermediate half tone Bb, just go with the whole tone raise. Probably the most important.

I think you will find lots of uses for it as a maj7 tone and other licks and stuff if you put it on there...and, you can use it with the other pedals too, so it's handy there. JMO.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 9:00 am    

yeah, jerry. i was thinking of putting it on rkl, which right now lowers the e's on the other neck, but it'll soon switch to lowering the 2nd string...i will be hankering to add a half stop for the lowered 2nd, which might complicate everything.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 9:59 am    

P.4 is essential to my style of playing, especially when playing in a minor key. Maybe one day I'll write a mini-course on how I use it. But I've posted my opinions on the pedal in several places here over the years.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 7:54 am    

Dave, As previously mentioned just contact Wayne....he will tell you all you want to know. I once had a S-10 Linkon and traded it on my way to where I am now. Wished I could have afforded at the time to keep it. It played well!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 1:30 pm    

wayne just got in touch with me so i think i'm in business.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:47 pm    

That guitar looks great! Congrats and enjoy!

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:40 pm    

Great looking guitar, Dave. Never saw one up close myself, but have heard good things from friends in the past. Looks like a pretty modern undercarriage; maybe Mr.Link will tell you when he built it.
One thing for sure though, if it was mine I'd be going for the full Emmons 5x4 C6 coped with a couple of centre knees while I had the builder's attention. That setup is pure genius for playing jazz. You will want more than the third string lower if you get deeply into that bag.
Have fun with C6. It's a blast.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 11:38 pm    

Yes.. Chris makes a great point. I have the full 5x5 C6 copedant and do not know how I would play many songs without the full setup...

Worse.. i do not even know many songs
. haha.. That is how important it is.