The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another E-bay oddity,,,,,,,,,,
Larry Welter

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 6:16 pm    

This is a 1939/1940 Gibson Electraharp 8 strings,,,5 pedals?,,,if you think this is big,,you should see the case,,its currently rented out as a apartment,,plenty of room to set your beer on,,

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 7:49 pm    

Here is a single neck Gibson on Craigslist in my home town.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/d/gibson-electraharp-pedal/6439617716.html
I might go over to mess around with it, as I've never seen one in person.
The one you posted looks great. If it were in my town I would go over and check it out (I guess going over and checking it out is more of a Craigslist thing, not an Ebay thing).
I wonder how much someone will pay.
I wonder if you could flip the pickup plate so the Bass strings are more treble-ee, and the treble strings are more bass-ee?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 10:35 pm    

I have the twin to that Electraharp in my shop currently belonging to Greg Leisz.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 11:12 pm    

My first pedal steel was an Electraharp. Hated it. Sold it to Rodney Dillard for $75. Pete Grant played it on Wheatstraw Suite.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 3:23 am    

I hadn't listened to Wheatstraw Suite in roughly 1000 years. Great stuff. In other news: this is one of the most incongruous videos of the era. The attempts of hip Hugh Hefner hanger-ons to dance to the Dillards is, well, ....:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUpQsGCInE

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 4:38 am    

Lol Dan, that was hilarious, I saw the Dillards the first time in Eminence MO in 73.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:31 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
The attempts of hip Hugh Hefner hanger-ons to dance to the Dillards is, well, ....:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUpQsGCInE

Barbi Benton was hot.

I saw the Dilliards at the University of Illinois, early 70's, as the warm-up band for Elton John (back when he was really good). And of course on the Andy Griffith show.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:49 am    

I saw the Dillards in Ipswich, UK, in around 1977/8. They were on a package tour with Karl Perkins and Billie Jo Spears! I only went to see the Dillards (sadly, no Doug) so left the theatre soon after KP came on. The Dillards were in the bar, so I had a magical 10 minutes chatting to them before they went off to the dressing room. Great guys!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:52 am    

That would look good in my living room. Whoa!

William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 10:55 am    

Great clip! Love the harmony. As a bonus, it's kind of a bluegrass spin on Spinal Tap's psychedelic phase. Smile

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 5:05 pm    

I give the Hefner guests credit for clapping on 2 and 4 on the first song, anyhow. Smile

Larry Welter

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 6:19 pm     banjo player???

the guy playing banjo looks like herb Pederson who was in desert rose band with jay dee maness?? anyone know?

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 7:41 pm     Dillards

In that iteration it is indeed the great Herb Pedersen. Yes he wrote the Hey Boys and sings the lead. There are actually 2 versions of that song. Herb now sings the other version. I still like the Dillard's version a bit better. As for Wheatstraw Suite, I will have to go dig my copy out and recheck, but I thought Buddy Emmons played on that album; or at least the first release. Peter grant is also a Stellar player and he did play with in a later iteration of the Dillards after Herb moved on.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 6:16 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
My first pedal steel was an Electraharp. Hated it. Sold it to Rodney Dillard for $75. Pete Grant played it on Wheatstraw Suite.

Like Herb, my first pedal steel was an Electraharp (8-strings; 6-pedals). I bought it about 2 weeks after the PSG 'bug' bit me. I found a teacher about a month later; showed up at his home for my first lesson with the Electraharp wrapped in an army blanket (I bought it without a case) and armed with a Stevens dobro bar - (talk about a neophyte Laughing )

Upon my knock on his door, this was the teacher's response the to yokel looking for lessons: "Two things: get a different steel guitar and get a different bar". Then come back for your lesson...." To his credit, the advice was spot on and he did give me a PSG bullet bar, which I use to this day.

Shortly after that episode I bought my second guitar - an early 70's Emmons S10, 6p/2k.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 9:12 am    

Please keep to the pedal steel topic. Oh Well