INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  after seeing Paul Franklin Bar lesson,few questions came up!
Ben Waismann

Israel
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Hello all.
i got stainless steel dunlop 7/8 bar (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00079R5SO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

And i saw Paul saying that chrome bar sounds more "right" while stainless can be too bright .
considering to get a 7/8 inch chrome round bar.
Im cerious about your opinion on this.

another thing is the size of the bar to my hand. heres a picture :

Do i need to get a longer one? not sure if the currect one is 10 or 12 strings since i got this without the option of choosing.

Im sure theres a lot of topics about this and im sorry about that. but i took the oppurtunity . Smile

Thank you all.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Ben, you did not say what stage of learning you are at but I'll guess it's fairly new.

While I'm sure Paul Franklin's advice you quote is good, my 2 cents worth is just go ahead and get experience and seat time. I have been at it several years (altho still a newcomer compared to most here) and I can assure you there are MANY things I need to change to improve my playing before the type of bar is going to matter.

Asking the question is fine, but extra hours with the "wrong" bar is going to pay off more than waiting and worrying about the "correct" bar.

Good luck with it!

Lubbock, TX
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Hey Ben,

I would say that a longer 12 string chrome bar would definitely benefit you as you learn. Like Paul says in his videos, bar control is pivotal to being able to play in tune, and learning with a bar that is properly sized for your hand will be a big part of this. I changed to a 12 string bar 15 years ago or more at Paul's recommendation and it has served me Very well. A 10 string bar feels tiny to me now.

My dad, Wally Moyers, and myself were playing yesterday and had this talk. For his hands a 10 string bar is perfect, but for my larger hands the 12 string bar is what fits. From your picture I would say that you would benefit from a longer bar.

I would advise against practicing with equipment that performs poorly or does not fit you well. That's how bad habits are formed....

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Jeremy, your words are accurate. Just to clarify, my advice pertained to the chrome vs. stainless, not to the size aspect of his question. I agree something which is not suitable will not help the learning process.

Israel
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Thank you guys!!

so which of thoose should i take?
https://www.bjsbars.com/store/c4/7%2F8%22_Bars.html
Brett Lanier

Vermont
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 11:22 am     Reply with quote

I have a couple fancy bars (bjs, zirc) but pretty much only end up using my old dinged up Emmons bar. For me, the Emmons bar gives me that illogical, superstitious edge that I need.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

I echo Brett Lanier words exactly - but always being one to follow the pack - I’m going to look into getting a chrome bar. Does anybody know which brand / type bar Mr. Paul Franklin uses?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

Don R Brown wrote:
Ben, you did not say what stage of learning you are at but I'll guess it's fairly new.

While I'm sure Paul Franklin's advice you quote is good, my 2 cents worth is just go ahead and get experience and seat time. I have been at it several years (altho still a newcomer compared to most here) and I can assure you there are MANY things I need to change to improve my playing before the type of bar is going to matter.

Asking the question is fine, but extra hours with the "wrong" bar is going to pay off more than waiting and worrying about the "correct" bar.

I don't totally disagree with you, but when I was only a few months into it, I was having major issues with extraneous bar noise, using the generic Dunlop bar I'd had kicking around for years (from lap steel, etc).

Investing in one of Michael Hillman's powder coated bars, then a BJS, made a HUGE difference, and helped clean up a problem that was making me think maybe the steel just wasn't for me.

I don't believe in trying to buy talent, but I do think it's worthwhile learning on the best gear you can (easily) afford.

But I'd also say to Ben.........if you're NOT having a problem, no reason to change, just because of something someone (even a legend like Paul) says.

YMMV.
Bill Ferguson

Norcross, GA USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

I used a SS bar for years, then some 25 years ago, Bill Stroud gave me a BJS bar and WOW, I could hear and FEEL the difference immediately.

The stainless steel bar seemed to drag against my stainless steel strings.
The BJS bars slides like butter.

So later, I was so impressed, I became a BJS dealer.

So let me know if I can be of service.
AUTHORIZED GeorgeL's, Goodrich, Telonics, BJS and Peavey Dealer: 1993 Green Emmons D-10 LeGrande w/ Emmons 108 pickups, 2004 Mahogany Carter D-10 w/ Lawrence XR16 pickups, Goodrich or Telonics Volume Pedal, George L's Cable & Strings, Peavey Nashville 112 (I have 2), Peavey Session 115 (#1) and a Telonics Combo 112
Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

I like a BJS bar..slicker than snot....

Topeka, KS
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

I like either the BJS or the SDF chrome over brass.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post Posted 7 Jan 2018 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

I got a BJS 15/16" (chromed) bar (not John Hughey model), and it is slicker on the strings than my longtime stainless steel 15/16" bar, and I notice I tend to incorporate more bar slides in my playing when I use it. Unfortunately, it is also lighter (10 oz. vs. 11 oz.) and shorter (3 3/8" vs. 3 1/2"), and just doesn't feel right in my hand. Sad

There are multiple factors in choosing a bar!