The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Tuning Issue
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 4:29 pm    

Ok folks out of the blue my tenth string on the back neck is not coming back all the way. I can ease my toe under the pedal and make it come back but it won't on it's own. So, I tried to stretch the return spring a bit and made it worse. So I then took the spring of the top string to try and see if that would make a difference. It let loose out of my pliers into the great unknown of my shop. So two questions? Am I on the right track and where can I get replacement springs? If Ricky Davis should read this it is the guitar that you worked on for Lloyd Maines.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 4:35 pm    

It could be many things causing this. I would troubleshoot this with several steps. First, take a screw driver and move the finger through the end plate manually. Does it return? If yes, the problem is in the pull train. If no, the problem is at the changer. If it is the pull train, check the rods to be sure they are not rubbing or catching on any other parts. Check pedal movement without the rod attached. Does it move freely?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 6:36 pm    

Hey Craig I am reading this....but me and Lloyd have gone through 6 or 7 Sho~buds....so I haven't a clue which one you're talking about?? does it have an adjustable return spring or just clip on?? is is nylon tuning or barrel tuning?? Like Jason said; there could be many things to check. Have you un-hooked the pedal rod puller from the pedal to make sure the pedal is flopping freely...cause if it's a little gummy feeling; it could be a prob.
But first undo raise and lower rod tension on finger; then does the open string ring true C or did it go to flat or sharp/...meaning could be not in true idle open position. Well I can go down a list of 8 more things...and without even seeing a picture...because there are 6 different mechanical differences in Sho~buds from '68-'80...
So you need to show or explain much more details of the mechanism.
Ricky

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 10:57 pm    

Ricky it is a red pro 2 Custom about 1975 is the year,, I will check some of this out in the morning. It has to be something simple. It just happened suddenly.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 11:24 pm    

I believe Michael Yahl will have replacement springs, or try Jim Palenscar or Tom Bradshaw.
Some Buds have pedal return springs like MSA does. If yours has them but P8 just broke, that might be your problem.

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 7:19 am    

The guitar is nylon tuning. It only has clip on springs. Does it need that extra bottom spring like the ninth string has? I can get the lower tuned but when I release the pedal the note might come back flat or it might come back sharp. I did find while looking at things again that the pedal stop screw was loose so maybe that was the start of my issue? Glad I have another Bud to play until I get this figured out. Like I said it has to be some simple thing.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:22 am    

yes leave the "raise" spring off....I always take off the raise spring on that Low C; so that it can go to the Low A more easily. But the Raise is not returning proper...because it sounds like the main lower spring that is "Hooked" on, needs more tension.....as that will secure the lower section moreso when you raise...and therefore let the raise come back more in tune....ah...ha.....
So; I usually clip a wind off that spring; then small plyer out a new suto hook...and put it back on and wala..ha...and yes the stop screws where the crossbar stops; needs to be mainly the right distance for the 5th string to lower G to F#....and so the 10th string will raise more towards the middle of that throw...so hopefully you didn't get into the idle position of the 10th string......so also back out the nylon tuner; then retune the 5th string stop...then retune 10th string.
Ricky

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:49 am    

The return springs are an essential part of the all-pull system. Without it, the stop bar becomes of nothing more than an interest of curiosity.

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 1:10 pm    

My 5th string lower is on the same pedal as my 9&10 raise.
It's my 10 lower that is causing me fits. Taking that in account if I Back off everything pertaining to that string, which do I get in tune first the raise or the lower?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 2:20 pm    

I'm sorry; I can't help you in this forum situation.
Ricky

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 2:30 pm    

That's ok Ricky. I will keep at it til I get it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 4:01 pm    

Quote:
The return springs are an essential part of the all-pull system. Without it, the stop bar becomes of nothing more than an interest of curiosity.

Lane; yes the return spring is the main spring attached to the lower section of a all-pull...and yes that spring is essential. But the "raise spring" that is attached to the raise section of the finger is NOT essential to the all pull on a Sho~bud; until maybe the Superpro season '78(when that finger and it's design needs it for the balance of the pivot). But when I say I took a raise spring off to help the lower section work better(lower further); I'm NOT talking about the "Return Spring"...

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 8:08 am    

You are right on Ricky!!! (Who'd a thunk it)! Very Happy
I have had this issue also, more than once. Winking

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 10:49 am    

Thanks Neil; but I didn't "just thunk it"...that is over 20 years or restoring over 100 Sho~bud's ...that you just find these things out with scratching your head for years and years as you throw things around...then lightbulb finally comes on...ha.
Ricky

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2018 11:08 am    

Ricky...I didn't mean YOU "thunk it"......what I meant was.....duh.....of coarse Ricky "Da Man" would know...just for the reasons you gave!!! Hell I knew you knew!!! Very Happy
Even tho I have played em since 1965, 52yrs. I still have only "worked on em" mechanically for much less. At this point, there is no way I can catch up to you!!! Crying or Very sad