mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 8:14 am    

paul playing a mullen d-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYPqFstzLek

p.w Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 8:41 am    

Be sure to read the comment made by the person who posted the video. That explains why Paul is playing a Mullen.
(Not sure what prompted the snarky comment by "User Jones".)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:04 am    

Paul Sr. started building the Franklin brand sometime around 1980 or so. I've seen PFJr. play an Emmons when he was with Tillis, and I think an MSA as well and perhaps a 'Bud also sometime in the 70's, I first met him in '77.

It really doesn't matter what guitar Jr. plays does it? He's brilliant regardless.

It's more than irritating that guys like "User Jones" post inane and obviously childish comments like he did, but in retrospect he's so abjectly insignificant to the PSG community that stupidity like his matters not a whit.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 10:17 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
(Not sure what prompted the snarky comment by "User Jones".)

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

It seems that giving Paul a different setup is asking for him to do something more stupefying than usual.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 2:36 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

It really doesn't matter what guitar Jr. plays does it? He's brilliant regardless.

It's more than irritating that guys like "User Jones" post inane and obviously childish comments like he did, but in retrospect he's so abjectly insignificant to the PSG community that stupidity like his matters not a whit.

Exactly !

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 7:58 am    

I watched the video but couldn't see any comments. Can someone post what the comment was?

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 8:28 am    

My guess is that User Jones answered to a post that has since been removed, doesn`t make any sense otherwise.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 8:53 am    

This is the CRAP he posted down under the video. Last post on there.
Be nice if YouTube and others sights would remove these postings.

User Jones9 months ago
Let's see!...mike Johnson and randle Currie from brad paisley both lowers thier E's on the RKL?... so I guess they aren't real players??... you are a joke!... pull your old head out of your ass!.... carry on!...

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 9:02 am    

Olli Haavisto wrote:
My guess is that User Jones answered to a post that has since been removed, doesn`t make any sense otherwise.

That was all of the posts, and still it makes no sense. Each of those three dots is another leap.

Here is the original post:
ric steinke
11 months ago
Hi all, my wife made me aware of this post so I thought I would try and clarify a few things. That is my Mullen that Paul is playing. He and Vince were scheduled to play this event without their regular band, in Livingston MT in Aug, 2016. Rodney Crowell was also a featured performer. The backup musicians were great players known to Vince, Rodney & Paul but I do not remember their names. I furnished the mid 80's Mullen 8X7, Emmons set up, E's -Eb RKL, E's to F LKL etc. Also, Peavey Nashville 1000 w/BW plus a Session 400 w/JBL. Although not his usual setup, Paul still made it sound great which tells me it's not necessarily the brand of instrument as much as maybe the hands, heart & soul of the player. Either way the Mullen sounded great. It was a one night show then everyone on stage was off in different directions so hence the different than normal equip for everyone. Vince & Rodney also used rented equip as did local, John Mayer when he showed up unannounced for a jammin blues song or two. A good time was had by all in this little Montana town.

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 5:41 pm     Paul Franklin

I have so much admiration for him. He is definitely the cream of the cream of the crop. He could take a shoe box with rubber bands across the top and make it sound wonderful. Alright.... a bit of an overstatement, but you get my drift.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 8:10 am    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
This is the CRAP he posted down under the video. Last post on there.
Be nice if YouTube and others sights would remove these postings.

User Jones9 months ago
Let's see!...mike Johnson and randle Currie from brad paisley both lowers thier E's on the RKL?... so I guess they aren't real players??... you are a joke!... pull your old head out of your ass!.... carry on!...

Thanks. What was the comment he responded to? Curios about the knee lever comment.

If this guy is a steel guitar player (sounds like it - or most likely a "steel guitar owner"), he is a disgrace.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 8:34 am    

Richard, the original post is in mine two up from here, by ric steinke.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:03 am    

Quote:

Indeed. Whether Paul is playing Brand A or Brand B, does not automatically constitute an endorsement of such equipment. Many of us can't seem to accept this and move on.. Confused Oh Well

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:20 am    

Yeah, I'm thinking the post that Jones replied to has been removed. I think it must have been in response to some criticism from someone else and not directed at any of the posters comments shown there.

Always one in the crowd. I first saw Paul around 1979 or 80 in Nashville and have always admired him. He seems to be one of the most gentle, kind and gracious people I've met. Probably rude comments don't bother him too much. He knows his contributions.

It's no great surprise to see him play another brand of guitar. He's played several of them over the years besides his Dad's. It's not a crime.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:21 am    

Of course, Paul sounds great. A Mullen is a fine steel, and besides that, I'm confident Paul could find a way to make a 2x4 with a pickup and strings sound good.

Although one can't say for sure, it appears to me that, as Ollie suggests, User Jones was probably replying to a comment that has, for one reason or another, been removed. The context of that response leads me to believe that someone made a comment denigrating putting the E=>Eb lower on RKL instead of LKR. It certainly doesn't sound like he was responding to the original comment, which contained this:
Quote:
I furnished the mid 80's Mullen 8X7, Emmons set up, E's -Eb RKL, E's to F LKL etc.

I agree that the tone of the response is out of line. However, I will say that, some time back, I had a player come up to me at a gig to ask about my setup; when I stated that I split my Es between LKL and RKL, he asked me, "Why the hell would you want to do something stupid like that?". I had friends to talk to, so I just said, "Whatever.", and turned around and walked away. But I know that sentiment exists and is sometimes stated boorishly. Not a reason to respond in-kind, but I understand why someone might challenge a comment of this type.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 10:11 am    

It wouldn't seem like any of the rudeness was directed toward Paul, he just happened to be playing in the video and some sort of online "conversation" was going on in the comments section, parts of which have since been removed.

I recall after Vince and Paul released the Bakersfield album several years ago I saw them on TV a couple times using some borrowed equipment with backup players to promote the album. I think they were hopping on planes with short notice for some of those gigs and were traveling as light as possible.

Since Paul has been playing his dad's guitars for decades, only steel players notice if he's sitting behind something different. Vince plays mainly Teles and Strats, and sometimes a Gibson semi-hollow body - but if he were spotted playing a Rickenbacker or a Paul Reed Smith it would likely be barely noticed by most of the populace because he doesn't play one type of guitar exclusively.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 6:08 pm    

Well now I have to stop blaming my Mullen for what it sounds like! Thanks! Now I know it’s just me sucking it up!!! I knew that already though!

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 6:10 am     Paul Franklin

Just have to put my two cents in. I bought an MSA Classic D-10 black and white with 8 and 4 in 1974 at Cowgars Music store in Lincoln Park Michigan, Paul Franklin and father were there, Paul was trying out a D-10 Classic with 8 and 4 white (grey) wood grain mica, (Paul was about 17 or 18 years old not sure) I'm not positive but I believe they bought that guitar. That was the standard Emmons setup was, E-E flat R-knee L, E-F left knee-L. I believe that was one of Paul's first guitars. I still have my MSA along with an Emmons S-10 and a SHO~BUD LDG S10, they all have the same setup. Paul made the big time I had to go to work at Ford Motor Co. for Thirty Years, ( Wife and three kids,) didn't have time for road work. Anyway enough said. 79 yrs. and still trying to play Steel. Jim Goins. Monroe, Michigan.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 12:06 pm    

I recently did a pole on the pedal steel Facebook site. About 38% of the responding players lower the E,s on the RKL... Mike Johnson, Paul Franklin, Lloyd Maines, Russ Hicks, Myself and many others do it this way... ShoBuds where shipped that way back when we all started playing... Many advantages and I’m sure some disadvantages, it’s all a trade off...

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:30 pm    

Wally
There are days when I wish I'd learned it that way but ididn'tSmile

B

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:36 pm    

Bruce Bouton wrote:
Wally
There are days when I wish I'd learned it that way but ididn'tSmile

B

Bruce, hard to say whats best? I know that when I play the Emmons setup I miss some things I usually play. Sure hasn't hurt your playing! Happy new year my friend, hope to see you again soon!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:35 am    

I recall years back in St Louis up in the lounge area, several of us were talking with Buddy, the lower E's location came up. I casually mentioned that I had the E lower on RKL, Buddy just commented that both E's were on the left knee. I asked why, he said because thats where they are ! When I got home I moved the E Lowers over to the left knee .

Don't ask why Rolling Eyes

Obviously Buddy had deep meaning and purpose for everything he did, but the short simple answer was sufficient ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website