The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Today's so-called Country Music
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 5:31 pm    

1. All the artists if you can call them that sound the same. You can't tell who is who.

2. All the songs, lyrics and music are the same...heavy metal guitar licks, squealing fiddles and pedal steel chimes along that very weird shiver that sounds like the instrument they used to play in the "50's sci-fi movies whenever the monster showed up on the screen.

3. All the songs have the same accent notes at the end of each verse. There is no melody to be heard.

Here's a sample of this crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWm-IXjYz0

Anybody with me.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 6:19 pm    

I agree 100%. I haven't listened to what they call country music today in about two or three decades.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 6:21 pm    

Based on the comments on the link you supplied, plenty of people think this is country. Not only country, but old time country:

"Really good traditional country song....."

"justin moore is my favorite country artist and I wish I could meet him! big fan of all his music"

"
Justin Moore is one of the few country artists that has very little to no bashing on the comment section of his videos. I guess he's so good that he even appeals to people who are into the traditional hillbilly country music, which is an extremely tough audience.'

for my ears, I don't know what genre you'd put this in other than country

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 7:58 am    

Click Here

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 10:09 am    

Quote:
1. All the artists if you can call them that sound the same. You can't tell who is who.

2. All the songs, lyrics and music are the same...heavy metal guitar licks, squealing fiddles and pedal steel chimes along that very weird shiver that sounds like the instrument they used to play in the "50's sci-fi movies whenever the monster showed up on the screen.

3. All the songs have the same accent notes at the end of each verse. There is no melody to be heard.

Anybody with me.

4. They never show "The Band" but then who would want to watch this....

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 10:49 am     Re: Today's so-called Country Music

Gary Hoetker wrote:

Anybody with me.

Is this what you are referring to, the Theremin?

That thing has always creeped me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 2:41 pm    

Some people claim the songs all sound the same.

Why is that?

Take a listen to this:

Click Here

Lee, from South Texas

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 7:29 pm    

Lee, that "mashup" is unbelievable. I've seen it before and my mouth always drops when I hear it.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 8:22 am    

Always one of my favorite topics to chime in on and to challenge.

How much Sturgill Simpson have you guys listened to?

How much Dale Watson?

How much Zephania Ohora have you looked into?

There's so many blogs, so many resources out there now to find good music. Just doing a simple google search

"real country music in 2017"

Will get you pointed in the right direction. There's an entire community trying to revive the scene. We can all fold the tent or we can stand up and get involved. Lets do this! Lets do our part to make country music better in 2018.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:23 am    

I discovered "Midland" last year - best new country band I've heard in a long time. Outstanding vocals. Their album "On The Rocks" has shades of everything from the Byrds, early Eagles, George Strait, Brooks and Dunn, Keith Whitley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFF8DRKTRY

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:35 am    

The latest Clinton Gregory is from 2012 and I wonder how many of us here have bought it. I did and I agree with Mark Hershey that we should support artists. Complaining doesn't help.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:36 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:
I discovered "Midland" last year - best new country band I've heard in a long time. Outstanding vocals. Their album "On The Rocks" has shades of everything from the Byrds, early Eagles, George Strait, Brooks and Dunn, Keith Whitley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFF8DRKTRY

That's the spirit! I'm really enjoying the pedal steel playing and will explore the album. I love the art on the vinyl.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 8:23 am    

I've never been a country music guy (although I am listening to more western swing these days, due to steel guitar)...particularly the new stuff is pretty diametrically opposed to my tastes, but hey, everyone's got their preferences, etc...

But lately I've been scanning the radio and stopping on country stations just for a little steel guitar reconnaissance. A song came on and it started with these words:

Quote:
Well it's hotter than hell outside right now
It's 100 in the shade with the sun beating down
Forecast calling for some more of the same
Well I can't fix that, but I can fix a drain!

I roll my eyes a bit at the pandering blue-collar schtick (kind of odd though? like a plumber theme song?), and the singer continues:

Quote:

I turn on FOX news and then CNN
But it's the same dang thing all over again
The world's in the toilet and the market's in the tank
Well I can't fix that, no
But I can fix a drain...

At that point he goes into the actual chorus and the realization strikes me that the gentleman was not singing about drains or plumbing, but actually "draaank", and the chorus is the usual booze-themed pastiche of clichés that seems pervasive today.

Anyway, I was amused that the vocalist's affectation/accent was so strong that I thought the song was about a handyman's proficiency. (I think I prefer my version.)

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 12:25 pm    

Just so we can keep a perspective of fairly recent "traditional country" music, and for the benefit of those whom aren't sure of what we mean by that term, here is a friend of mine, Roger Wallace performing a song written by another friend of mine, Timmy "Topcat" Campbell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1WKp2E_og

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 12:33 pm    

75% of the modern country hits use the same chord progression: 1 5 6m 4, usually four times in a row.

The bands I play with around here are folk-rock or "Americana" as it's called today. I don't think I've ever played that chord progression. When did that become "country", anyway?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 2:14 pm    

b0b wrote:
1 5 6m 4,
I don't think I've ever played that chord progression.

When I find myself in times of trouble mother Mary comes to me

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 2:55 pm    

I missed this thread at the beginning, but an alternative name might be something like:

SGF - Today's Mainstream Country Music Sucks: Installment #455

It's the topic that keeps on giving.

I'm kind of proud of the fact that I honestly don't think I've heard of this Justin Moore guy in the past, and what makes it even better is that I checked him out on Wikipedia, and he has two albums that have actually gone double platinum! So my "strategy" really works of intentionally listening to maybe a cumulative 30 minutes worth of mainstream Bro Country radio since about the year 2000.

I am blissfully ignorant!

I checked out where he's from and it's Arkansas so he at least it's a legitimate southern accent. Not like a singer who moved to Nashville from Minnesota and before you know it he's got as much twang in his speech as the native Tennesseans.

A few nights before New Years we were at a dinner with party several couples. The host wanted me to bring my Martin dreadnought so I could lead us in a sing along after dinner after the guests all had a decent amount wine in them.

So I did my usual assortment of some rock, old country, a little bit folky singer/songwriter, etc.

One of the ladies knows I like country music and she asked me who I listened to - maybe Luke Bryan?

"NO - I never listen to Luke Bryan, I prefer actual country music."

Like this Friday evening, my wife and I will be at The Mystic Theater in Petaluma, CA to see Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 5:59 pm    

My sister moved to South Carolina. She can do that sweet little old southern lady accent like a native now. It's a riot! Then she switches back to Pittsburghese. "Jeet jet?" Smile