The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Derby SD-10 3x5
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 12:58 pm    

Listing my Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup. Emmons setup on the pedals. E's lower on the RKL. Raise 1 & 2 and drop 6 with the LKR. Vertical lowers the B's. Kind of a dark Midnight Blue. Tooled vinyl pad. George L E66 pickup. Polished flags. Plays and sounds great. Really a great sounding solid guitar. Emmons style case with wheels. Serial # 230.

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is.

I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

$2300 shipped in the US. PayPal fees and shipping included. PayPal or Postal money order or Paypal preferred.

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 4:30 am     GREAT Guitar

Todd I just got a Derby from a man in California.
and to be honest this is the BEST playing and sounding steel I EVER owned and I owned one of the most sought after on this forum.The tone just blows me away rich and full my playing improved so much from just the ease of playing. the levers and pedals are like a fine machine and accurate. The sustain should be against the law:). Mr Stepp really built these to sound,play and last.I was not sure since I had never played a Derby, Ask anyone who is fortunate enough to own one We love them someone will get a true Gem!

Dean Richard Varga

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 6:09 am     Derby

Yeah- The first thing I was going to say was "That is a drop dead gorgeous guitar", and BTW- I am a recent new owner of a Derby and I am equally as impressed. It is the easiest to play instrument and I feel Derbys are the best kept secret in the PSG world.

BTW Bill-If your guitar is a 2004 Black SD-10, I believe it originally came from Arizona. It was here in Gilbert Az in a music store back in 2006.

Someone grab that thing!

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 6:31 am     Love Derbys!

I'll second everything said here about Derby steels!
Bill, you got my old Derby that I sold to Mike and it is a real gem.
Sounds like he used my packing material too! I loved that guitar and only sold it to get a D10. It's tone was pure magic. Charlie built a real winner of a guitar. Someone needs to jump on this deal.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 6:42 am     Best kept secret of the steel world...

Lot of pics around with some of our hero's playing Derby steels. And I once heard, Mr. Emmons had some input to the original design. I've had owners of some of the most popular steels of today, check out mine because of the way it sounds. It, not me. Haha!

Wonder how many Charlie built and where they all are.

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 8:56 am     Derby

Darrell, I owned an Emmons LL2, to many Sho Buds last one after the great POT metal knee lever fell off in front of 5 or 6oo people (sold it next day!). and a marlen and 2 other guitars that were good but I will not mention the name here....but this Derby is the best I ever heard or played Everyone is always looking for that sound I found it... the accuracy is incredible
Half pedals are a breeze with this also don't spend all night tuning it...I love blue if I had the money I would buy it!!. Darrell Mike sold it because he just lost interest in learning a pedal steel nothing to do with quality
BTW Dick Bob told me about 500 or so Derbys were built mine is serial 4--

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 9:13 am     Thanks Bill...

Mines #44-... If 500 were built, looks like we're in the last 100. I sure do like mine.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 9:14 am    

Bill, that's too bad that Mike lost interest but I'm glad you got that guitar. You're right about it holding tune and it had an incredible sound, as you know. I have a new friend that moved here from Indiana that has an almost identical Derby so at least I get to see and hear his every now and then.

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 9:25 am     Burn it up

Darrell Birtcher wrote:
Bill, that's too bad that Mike lost interest but I'm glad you got that guitar. You're right about it holding tune and it had an incredible sound, as you know. I have a new friend that moved here from Indiana that has an almost identical Derby so at least I get to see and hear his every now and then.

Darrel I played it Thursday night and saturday night people bragged on the tone that were not even steelers
I love it,I will post some videos soon on you tube hope to do some Chri--mas videos (sorry don't want to offend anyone:).

Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 9:40 am     derby sd-10

hi i'm in fay nc right on I-95 are you looking for anything in trade or partial I have o very large big boys toy (hobby) store in fay my cell is 910-580-5389
thanks skip

Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:10 am    

Thanks for all the nice comments about Derby guitars, guys. This one is just as great. I was surprised by the tone and playability of this guitar. Just the overall professional quality of the build of these guitars is great.

As of right now, I've got a deal pending on this guitar.

Steve Faulk

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 4:26 pm    

Is the derby still for.sale . Thanks Steve

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 5:10 pm    

>>>>>>

Last edited by Mike May on 2 Jan 2018 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:27 pm    

Todd Brown wrote:
Listing my Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup. Emmons setup on the pedals. E's lower on the RKL. Raise 1 & 2 and drop 6 with the LKR. Vertical lowers the B's. Kind of a dark Midnight Blue. Tooled vinyl pad. George L E66 pickup. Polished flags. Plays and sounds great. Really a great sounding solid guitar. Emmons style case with wheels. Serial # 230.

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it
I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

$2300 shipped in the US. PayPal fees and shipping included. PayPal or Postal money order or Paypal preferred.

Last edited by Mike May on 1 Jan 2018 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:34 pm     Re: Derby SD-10 3x5

Todd Brown wrote:

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is.
PM sent...

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:41 pm     Re: Derby SD-10 3x5

Todd Brown wrote:

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is. I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

PM sent

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 6:08 am     Derby Sd10

I sent you a PM

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 3:51 pm     Derby Sd10

Can we talk ??? 336-366-7147

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 5:18 pm     Derby Sold?

Is the Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup sold?
Thx,
Billy

Sho Bud Student / Emmons DB E9
Sierra DB E9 / ZUM DB E9 / Derby DB E9 Marlen E9 / BMI E9

Mosrite Ventures '69 / Gibson Cherry ES345 / Custom 'Billie-Tele' Telecaster / Gibson '78 J45 / Custom 'P-Strat' Squire Stratocaster / Epi Parlor

Fender '69 Deluxe Reverb / Peavey NV400 + Peavey TubeFex + Goodrich 7A MatchBox & Pedal

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 7:57 pm    

Mike & William - The original posting is more than four years old. The guitar was sold.