INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sewing machine or Double neck...
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post Posted 24 Dec 2017 11:46 pm     Reply with quote

True story - this just now occurred.

My wife has recently developed an interest in sewing, and has been doing some online research for awhile. She has causally been dropping hints over the past few weeks, how she will be able to design and create patterns, mend our clothes, saving us tons of money. So yeah, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Now, I can't really be bothered with the selection process, so I told her to just do the research and pick something that is highly recommended and gets good reviews. I like to buy quality equipment, I don't want her to end up with something that we can't find parts/accessories for or get serviced if needed...

So, she has made her decision, and came to me with the website link tonight. I guess I'm a bit out of touch; I was thinking, heck, a quality machine, we can probably get online for maybe $800 tops. We are on a limited budget, so she knows that we have to pick something reasonable...

So we go to the website, and she proudly shows me her selection;

Janome Memory Craft 9900....for only 2699.00!!! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

At first I thought it was a joke, I was waiting for the punch line, but then I noticed the sincere look in her eyes...

I guess I kinda swallowed hard, and mumbled out..."umm...well, on our budget, do you really think we can afford this right now?"

To which she replied..."How much was that last Williams double neck that you purchased?"

I'm out of ammo... Embarassed Embarassed

Merry Christmas honey, enjoy your Janome Memory Craft 9900...Ho.....Ho....Ho.... Oh Well

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post Posted 25 Dec 2017 2:34 am     Reply with quote

I'd say you got off cheap. I paid $1400 for a Pfaff back in the early 80's... and you kept "peace on earth, good will to WIFE!"

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post Posted 25 Dec 2017 5:29 am     Reply with quote

Tim maybe she will make you a steel guitar rag. Very Happy
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post Posted 25 Dec 2017 7:00 am     Reply with quote

My wife is still wondering why I bought her a brand new sewing machine out of the blue - this was before Christmas. When the new steel arrives she'll find out, but I'm safe till then.

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 25 Dec 2017 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Tim, looks like she held the trump! (and I mean that in a euchre context, not political!)

Pennsylvania, USA
Post Posted 25 Dec 2017 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Scott - $1400 back in the 80's??? That must be some machine! Whoa!

Ian - Sneaky, sneaky... Laughing

Harold - Nice pun, I line it! Mr. Green

Don - Yup, that she did. Almost makes ya wonder if she put some thought into that beforehand! Mr. Green

And, as Scott referenced - "A HAPPY WIFE is a HAPPY LIFE!"

I'll be waiting for some custom steel and amp covers to be produced! Mr. Green

Merry Christmas ALL!!!!

Last edited by Tim Russell on 26 Dec 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rusty Smith

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, USA
Post Posted 26 Dec 2017 1:16 pm     Re: Sewing machine or Double neck... Reply with quote

Tim Russell wrote:
True story - this just now occurred.

My wife has recently developed an interest in sewing, and has been doing some online research for awhile. She has causally been dropping hints over the past few weeks, how she will be able to design and create patterns, mend our clothes, saving us tons of money. So yeah, it sounds like a good idea to me.

So, she has made her decision, and came to me with the website link tonight. I guess I'm a bit out of touch; I was thinking, heck, a quality machine, we can probably get online for maybe $800 tops. We are on a limited budget, so she knows that we have to pick something reasonable...

Janome Memory Craft 9900....for only 2699.00!!! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

... Oh Well

You're getting off easy. My wife has a quilting business with a longarm machine that is computer controlled. Current price is around $25k+. A sewing machine that is only $5-6k on sale is a bargin. Many women drop $10k+. I think she did you right by doing her homework and finding something that will bring great joy, just like your Williams will do. Hope you both enjoy these for years.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:36 am     Reply with quote

I remember when I was a kid my grandma made a tons of denim jeans, and jackets, and other stuff on old $100 Singer .... we drove to our gigs with $500 Wartburg, and played on $100 banjo ... and I was the happiest kid on the planet...it doesn't take much for people to be happy, I guess we just got lost somewhere on the way ... Oh Well

Walton, NY USA
Post Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:36 am     Reply with quote

SHUSSSSSSSS... My wife was happy with a $229 Singer.
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

Damir, I remember those old Singers quite well. And going back even further, the treadle machines. Awesome technology, well crafted, run for a lifetime! Smile

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:03 pm     Re: Sewing machine or Double neck... Reply with quote

Rusty Smith wrote:

You're getting off easy. My wife has a quilting business with a longarm machine that is computer controlled. Current price is around $25k+. A sewing machine that is only $5-6k on sale is a bargin. Many women drop $10k+.

OK, I know when to quit. I was relating the prices to my wife, who thought they were high. So I told her Rusty's wife needed one for $25k because she made quilts.

She snorted, and said "Tell that to the Amish!"

Nashville,TN.
Post Posted 1 Jan 2018 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

Tim Russell wrote:
Damir, I remember those old Singers quite well. And going back even further, the treadle machines. Awesome technology, well crafted, run for a lifetime! Smile

we are consuming society , we live to buy, George Carlin used to say “ we buy things we don’t need, to impress people we don’t like” ... Oh Well