The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking E13th for 10 string
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 9:13 pm    

Been thinking a lot about E13th for 10 string since I bought the E-Harp.
My son shipped it to me so it should get here in the next few weeks, if not days I hope.
I plan on tuning it this way; G# F# E C# B G# F# E D B Top string down...

Tried a little with the E13th on an 8 string a while back, but not long enough to get a good feel.

Now I drew up some charts so I could study it on paper to see what all is in there that I'd missed the first time round.

First off it's a lot like E9th for pedal steel but with the strings in a more logical order.
In the first chart I see it is very close to a Diatonic tuning which I'd also played with and liked a lot. Very easy to find melodies and chords but the E13th seems to have even tighter grips with chords and notes even closer together. Melody wise you'd hardly need to leave the main fret your playing on to pick out a simple tune.

Next I started looking in the second chart to see where all the Chromatic notes were. Wow, they are all right there within one frets reach. That got me thinking about how a lot of guys call the E9th a Chromatic tuning. I always thought they should have called it Diatonic since it seemed more like that to me. Now looking at the chart I wonder if they called it Chromatic because so many notes are so close together?

I'd love to hear from people who have had a lot of experience with this tuning and also thoughts about the relation to E9th pedal steel.
Some links to good tab or chord charts would be helpful. I see some useful forward slant stuff but can't find any reverse slants... Am I missing something there?

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 12:37 am    

Hey Andy I live eat and sleep in E13 now

E13 is the most versatile tuning but also because of the close harmonies can be unforgiving unlike C6.

E13 was the main tuning to inspire pedal steel E9.

I've said this a few times so I'll repeat again. DUMP the high G# on the 1st string and move it to the LOW register. So make the G# your 10th string below your low B.

Reverse slants a plenty you truly are missing loads.
PM me and I'm happy to discuss.

Here is one to get you started.

8th fret C-E-G now drop the E and the G to the 7th fret you now have a Cdim C -Eb -Gb
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 1:47 am     My bar has no hinge?

Thanks anyway, but my bar has no hinge? So if I drop the G back to the 7th fret for F# the next string will be a sharp E flat (no joke intended) if the Gb is in tune.
Even a diminished chord should be in tune. Whoa! Embarassed

There is already a nice Diminished chord with a forward slant and the tip of the bar on two strings at the same fret. Example; 6th string at the 6th fret and 4th & 3rd strings at the 7th fret. A nice and easy diminished in tune as long as the bar tip is dead on pitch by your ear. Very easy and lots of good chords available with that bar position on some other strings too.

Also not having the high G# would loose all that cool Don Helms style stuff.
My other regular tuning is A6th with the E on top so not as good for those kind of tunes, but great for other stuff.

I also think a lot of the things that Tom Morrell did used that G# string quite a bit, though It's a bit late in life for me to ever catch up to him.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 2:06 am     Lots of forward slants

Lots of forward slants, for diminished, dominant 7th, major 7th or 9th, minors and others too...

But as far as reverse slants I see nothing here other than some chromatic runs maybe? I am half blind, but even my good eye can't find a chord in here;

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 3:39 am    

Trust me on this the diminished should be in tune.

If not it is that you have forgotten to use Just intonation.

On E13 especially equal temperament sounds out of tune(lots of beats)

Try using the Peterson Strobo App - its cheap. And purchase the Steel Guitar tuning bundle.

Use the EM9 (Buddy Emmons Offsets) they sound so smooth.

Reverse slants are loads.

Reverse slant from the C-E-A now become Cm - C -Eb -G

Another easy example is the Augmented chord Reverse slant from the 6th fret. C-F-Bb

now become C-E-G#

There are tons upon tons more. Take my advice with the Just Intonation tuning and reverse slants there are Tons in E13 that are there especially E9 moves.

Are you using a Bullet Bar?

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:09 am    

The High G# is a "Nice to Have"

But you will gain ALOT more with the lower G#

E13 requires an understanding of how to build chords and important core notes that give each chord its core essence/unique sound.

If you already have this knowledge you will see it. If not its Study time.

I didn't have it so I had to study hard but now it all makes sense. Some reverse slants are easy, some are more complex but they are all based on E9 pedal moves IF you know the NOTES that change you WILL see it.

As I said, I'm happy to help drop me a PM and we can arrange an exchange of ideas as a Skype video is much faster than a back and forth typing on the forum.

Example: You have a 2-5-1-6 all within close proximity Like C6 pedal steel and you also have the 1-4-5 changes like E9 close as well.

Below is a page from my E13#9/F Study Book I have written. Each chord is calculated and melody note of each chord notated.

This is only one example of playing a C Major chord scale with the Root note as the melody note. There are many others using slants forward only and reverse only and a mixture of both. Hint Hint.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:15 am    

Here is a clearer understanding of the fretboard. The colours mentally help.

Look at strings 1 - 10 on my tuning

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:25 am    

BTW Tom Morrell songs. Which one would you like to learn? Maybe we could do an E13 study on one together.

I've figured out a few already no high G# needed mainly focused on the chord melody stuff in each one some songs I studied in whole while others in part to see what subs he uses to get from one change to another.

All of Me
Rosetta
Maybe You'll be There

All the Things -( Probably one of the easiest and there is only 1 reverse slant Augment chord used all the rest is straight bar - really good study as he subs the B section with alot of 6/9 voicings)

Don't get Around much anymore
I can't give you anything but love

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 5:40 am     Building chords yes, read music, not really!

Hi Stefan,
I don't read music, well a little bit very slowly, but have learned chord construction and music theory back in the early 70's from Bobby Hutchinson, the well known jazz vibes player RIP.

I can see right off the tab you sent is the C major scale in chords, C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C... But that last reverse slant diminished will also be out of tune if you use all three notes because they are not in a straight line to each other? Maybe better to use the forward slant diminished.
Very basic stuff, though always good to work on over and over. Very useful when working in a new tuning for sure.
I don't yet have my 10 string E-Harp as it's in shipment from the US to here in Saigon. Not sure when it will arrive. Could be days or weeks yet.

Yes I've played a version of E9th pedal steel since 1976, the tuning adjusted to accommodate a small disability. So yes, A lot of similarities between E9 & E13 but also really need to be approached differently I think. I expect I'll know better once I get the instrument in front of me with that tuning on it.

Noticed your from the UK. I was born in Oldham but my family left in 48 for Africa. Went to the USA in 57. Had a one week visit back in England in 65 while stationed in Germany to meet relatives and that was the last time I was there Very Happy

Having issues with my skype just now and not able to use it.
Here in Saigon we are 7 hours ahead of you. This I know because my older half brother lives in Wales and is due for a visit here on the 12th of January. We chat now and then on facetime.

Will send a PM later as I'm off to play a New Years eve gig before they fire off all the fireworks downtown.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 6:17 am    

Great to hear from you Andy.

I promise you the slants I have written out may seem difficult, but it isn't with a bullet bar and practice. It cn be played easily in tune at speed. FaceTime I'll show you for example Cherokee using only strings 2-9 if you want using reverse slants nearly every bar just to prove the point.

A good Bullet bar and practice is key. The intonation is important when it comes to Tuning. You'll see. Look forward to chatting.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 6:55 am    

While I have immense respect for what Stefan is doing and even more respect for his work ethic, I'd strongly recommend Tom Morrells e13th the way he played it. It's a fascinating tuning. And it's super versatile from my experience. Spend some time with it.

kc

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 8:05 am    

Tom Morrell tuning (with low B) on Eharp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11GvfD93l44

I remain focussed on C6, but I love what Doug and others have done with this particular E13.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:09 pm     Thanks Ken

Ken Campbell wrote:
While I have immense respect for what Stefan is doing and even more respect for his work ethic, I'd strongly recommend Tom Morrells e13th the way he played it. It's a fascinating tuning. And it's super versatile from my experience. Spend some time with it.

kc

Thanks Ken,
By the way, does the steel have the E13th with the B or the E (Like Tom Morrell's) for the bottom string?

I love Tom's playing but doubt I'd ever get even close to his level of playing except in my dreams. I like the things that Doug Beaumier does with the tuning. He has the B for the bottom string. I'm also no Doug Beaumier, but that seems closer to what I can hope to reach.
When I had an E13th (Not the same tuning) on one of my steels for a short time I did see quickly that a lot of the old western swing was in that tuning or something very close to it.
At that time I just had a Fender Duel 8 and wanted to try the Diatonic on that neck.
Didn't want to loose the A6th on the other neck.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:25 pm     Sleepy Lagoon

James Hartman wrote:
Tom Morrell tuning (with low B) on Eharp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11GvfD93l44

I remain focussed on C6, but I love what Doug and others have done with this particular E13.

Hi James,
Yes Sleepy Lagoon the way Doug plays it is great.
I've been able to work out most of that on my E9th Mullen without using the pedals. It's a tad awkward in that way but works. Need to get back to get the last bit figured out.
I remember that Sneeky Pete had it on an album he did some years ago and liked it a lot back then.
Was surprised to see the tune was done by Harry James about 1940. It on youtube with this info "This #1 best-seller by James had been written in 1930 as “By The Sleepy Lagoon” by well-known British orchestral composer Eric Coates, with lyrics by Jack Lawrence added in 1940" So the tune is 88 years old now.

Love some of those old standards even though I don't consider myself a Jazz guy.
My dad played jazz trumpet when he was young in jazz band in the UK before the war and also around the house when I was young. I've worked out most of one of his favorite tunes now on A6th. That was "I just can't get started" by Bunny Berigan also from the 30's... Did it from my memory of my dad playing it and it's quite easy in that tuning.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:36 pm     Bilal Khalif???

Hi Bilal Khalif,
Don't Get Around Much Any More, Now theres a good tune.
Haven't heard it in years so maybe will do a youtube for it.
Always did like Ellingtons stuff. Missed a chance to see his band while he was still alive, but did get to see Basie and his band with Ella Fitzgerald singing as well as Dizzy when they came to San Francisco in the early 70's I think, my memory not so good for dates these days.

Facetime; I'll send a PM in a little while.... Got to nurse this slight headache for a while! Whoa!
Best wishes,
Andy

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 6:44 am     Re: Sleepy Lagoon

Andy DePaule wrote:

Hi James,
Yes Sleepy Lagoon the way Doug plays it is great.
I've been able to work out most of that on my E9th Mullen without using the pedals. It's a tad awkward in that way but works. Need to get back to get the last bit figured out.
I remember that Sneeky Pete had it on an album he did some years ago and liked it a lot back then.
Was surprised to see the tune was done by Harry James about 1940. It on youtube with this info "This #1 best-seller by James had been written in 1930 as “By The Sleepy Lagoon” by well-known British orchestral composer Eric Coates, with lyrics by Jack Lawrence added in 1940" So the tune is 88 years old now.

Love some of those old standards even though I don't consider myself a Jazz guy.
My dad played jazz trumpet when he was young in jazz band in the UK before the war and also around the house when I was young. I've worked out most of one of his favorite tunes now on A6th. That was "I just can't get started" by Bunny Berigan also from the 30's... Did it from my memory of my dad playing it and it's quite easy in that tuning.
Best wishes,
Andy

I'm familiar with the Pete Kleinow recording, but wasn't aware of the song's history beyond that. I'll give the Harry James a listen. Thanks, Andy, for the tip.

I like Doug's arrangement so much I've worked it out on an 8-string version of the E13 tuning (minus the high F# and G#); it's the only piece I play in E13. I have a 10-string Eharp but have left it in the Alkire tuning for the time being, intending to explore it further. Current commitments demand that I stay focussed on C6. Constantly fighting the temptation to wander into the thicket of multiple tunings before feeling I've really mastered any one of them.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:42 am     Sleepy Lagoon

Hi James,
I also just heard the Harry James version for the first time a few days ago.
It's quite good as are a lot of those older tunes.

Just curious, what is the Alkire tuning for those? I was not aware they had one.
There is a lot to be said for using just one tuning, but I've ordered a triple neck from Todd that should be ready in March when I return to the US for a couple of weeks.

I had intended to just have it be a T-8 but now thinking about that 10 string E13th I may have him do a ten string center neck for that. This is the reason I decided to buy the Alkire E-Harp so I could give it a good try before he starts construction in February. I may sell it after that or maybe not.

Until just this past year I never did much non pedal playing until I got the Clinesmith lap steel. It sounds so good I hardly ever go a day without playing it.
For most of the time since 1975 just had SD-10 pedal steels.
Only had two D-10's, one from 77 until 82 and another I just bought this year.
Also one SD-12 back in the 90's for a short period of time. Too many strings for me.

I find C6th odd because of the E stuff at the 4th fret and also I prefer the 5th tone on the top so been playing A6th. Also better because most anything I learn in A6th can be transferred to the E9th steel pedals down. I should put some time and effort into C6th for my Promat D-10.
I really like most everything I've ever heard Doug play. He has a real nice touch and good taste in how he plays.
Best wishes,
Andy

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 9:53 am    

Andy,
I ran with both the low B and the low E. both are fun and useful.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 10:08 am    

"Sleepy Lagoon" was originally an orchestral piece called "By the Sleepy Lagoon", written by a British composer in 1930. Later, about 1940, lyrics were added and the song was renamed "Sleepy Lagoon". It became a swing/pop hit in the 40s. I first heard it on Sneaky Pete's album and I loved his rendition. That's the vibe I was going for in my video of the song.

There are lot of recordings of Sleepy Lagoon on Youtube, instrumental and vocal. Here's the orchestral version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52pwJV46no

Happy New Year!

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:19 pm    

Ahlkire tuning

very pianistic approach which like E13 is a pickers tuning. But has way more avoid notes and slides.

Doesn't translate as fluidly as E13. I tried it a while ago and didn't like the bad notes when sliding from chord to chord. Lots of blocking required and you lose alot of the singing glissando of E13 or C6 sounds.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:58 pm    

The Alkire tuning is not user friendly IMO. Six strings in a row tuned in 1/2 steps means lots of wide grips, odd grips, string skipping, blocking, and very little strumming.

Tab:

1. E
 2. C#
 3. B
 4. A
 5. G#
 6. G
 7. F#
 8. F
 9. E
10. C#

I've never tried the tuning... just looking at it on paper was enough for me. Winking There was a player named Claude Brownell years ago who was a very good Alkire tuning player. I heard a recording he did with a rockabilly band and his steel solo sounded just like a rockabilly guitar solo! Unlike anything I've ever heard on a steel guitar. So there are riches in the tuning. You just need to do a lot of digging to find them.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 1:33 pm     E13

Wow. Rockabilly? I would love to hear that. I have been with my E13 ten string for a couple of weeks now and really like it for what I do. I am just not as advanced as Stefan, I am much like Andy, to deep into G# on top to stop. I tried it without and just hated it, but I admit I am not as far along as Stefan. I put F# on top and E and G# together. So it lays out F# G# E C# B G# F# E D B high to low. Its just like Morrell but with top strings reversed and B on bottom. I am loving it. I wanna stay with this one and just learn it inside out. Doing classic country, swing, rockabilly and some jump blues type stuff. Retired my D8 and went to S10. Love being able to just pull out single neck anytime. So handy. Had to adjust all my A6 stuff to it but I think I am there now, at least to get thru gigs. Man I love A6 but I had to make the jump. Am finding ways to find it all on E13. Having to really work for it though. Cool seeing 10 string lap talk. I just think it's great. Tom Morrell was right on I think. Keep us posted on progress. Wish I had another 10 string to try Alkirie tuning. Can do on an 8 string? Probably not.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:47 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I tried reversing strings 1 & 2 on the Morrell tuning once and I wasn't comfortable with the switch. I was too used the standard Morrell setup. I kept reaching for licks and patterns and they weren't there anymore! Cool I think the answer to the tunings puzzle is to settle on one (or two) of the time-tested, standard tunings and stick with it. I don't think it's a good idea to keep switching tunings and trying to reinvent the wheel. Most players do that when they start out, but we really need to pick a tuning and concentrate on it long term. JMHO

Agreed With Doug. But its also part of the journey.

I don't envy you though for the arpeggios/scales when you start looking at them with it switched. Whew. Its hard enough as it is in order. Ouch.

But its whatever you practice you will become comfortable with. 3 years will get you comfortable on most.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:52 pm     Re: E13

Tom Cooper wrote:
Wow. Rockabilly? I would love to hear that. I have been with my E13 ten string for a couple of weeks now and really like it for what I do. I am just not as advanced as Stefan, I am much like Andy, to deep into G# on top to stop. I tried it without and just hated it, but I admit I am not as far along as Stefan. I put F# on top and E and G# together. So it lays out F# G# E C# B G# F# E D B high to low. Its just like Morrell but with top strings reversed and B on bottom. I am loving it. I wanna stay with this one and just learn it inside out. Doing classic country, swing, rockabilly and some jump blues type stuff. Retired my D8 and went to S10. Love being able to just pull out single neck anytime. So handy. Had to adjust all my A6 stuff to it but I think I am there now, at least to get thru gigs. Man I love A6 but I had to make the jump. Am finding ways to find it all on E13. Having to really work for it though. Cool seeing 10 string lap talk. I just think it's great. Tom Morrell was right on I think. Keep us posted on progress. Wish I had another 10 string to try Alkirie tuning. Can do on an 8 string? Probably not.

Tom. We should’ve had a chat about chord options and melody playing to have a look and see together. I’m pretty certain once you see it You’ll laugh and go. Clever very clever. It’s literaly a great guide to pedal changes that having no high G# forces you to move but where you land is exactly where you need to be.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:52 pm     What low string now?

Ken Campbell wrote:
Andy,
I ran with both the low B and the low E. both are fun and useful.

Hi Ken,
What is the low string on it now, E or B?
If E I'll go with that for a while and then try the B to see which I like better.
By the way my son showed me the steel on Facetime before shipping it. Looks to be in great condition. I had him ship it without the legs to save weight and cost to ship.
Was already $112.00 for international priority.
Will be well worth it since it involves a bigger investment in the Clinesmith console and how that will be arranged.
I can get the legs when I'm back in the USA for a couple of weeks in March.
Best wishes,
Andy