The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  instruction course for non player
Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 8:52 pm    

Could someone suggest a course or books for a beginner?

Assume that I have no musical background, am 70 years old, and will not be playing out.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 10:17 pm    

https://www.jeffrancollege.com/product-page

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Up-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-DeWitt/dp/0786697083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514441802&sr=8-1&keywords=mel+bay+back+up+pedal+steel

Go get 'em!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 1:27 am    

Robert, with ZERO musical background I would buy a cheap 6 string guitar and the MEL BAY guitar PRIMER book. With ZERO understanding of the music language, the road will be very long and very bumpy.

The musical conversation ( also called theory) is the same for every musical Instrument. Don't get bogged down with the theory word, but you do need a simple road map which the MEL BAY Primer will teach. There are also multiple YOUTUBE instructions for basic guitar training .

For example, chords C, F and G , ( I, IV and V ) What does that even mean ? It's how songs ( music) is constructed.

The Pedal Steel guitar turnings and pedals are built on these very basic principles of theory.

kinda like cement---add water---MIX

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 5:06 am    

Some people like learning from books. Some like learning from the video format. For the latter, a couple options I will suggest for the beginner are:

MelBay - Anyone Can Play E9 Pedal Steel Guitar by Rob Haimes. Takes you through the very basics:
https://www.amazon.com/Anyone-Play-Pedal-Steel-Guitar/dp/B0013KSAUS/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514465889&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=pedal+steel+dvd+teaching

Another multi-video beginner E9 series is by Troy Brenningmeyer. You can start with one video and advance from there:
https://www.lessonswithtroy.com/Pedal-Steel-Lessons/

...Ken

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 7:19 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Robert, with ZERO musical background I would buy a cheap 6 string guitar and the MEL BAY guitar PRIMER book. With ZERO understanding of the music language, the road will be very long and very bumpy.

The musical conversation ( also called theory) is the same for every musical Instrument. Don't get bogged down with the theory word, but you do need a simple road map which the MEL BAY Primer will teach. There are also multiple YOUTUBE instructions for basic guitar training .

For example, chords C, F and G , ( I, IV and V ) What does that even mean ? It's how songs ( music) is constructed.

The Pedal Steel guitar turnings and pedals are built on these very basic principles of theory.

kinda like cement---add water---MIX

I would suggest a variation of this. If you want to learn PSG, then focus your practice on PSG. But have a $5 thrift store keyboard nearby, so when you are studying the theory aspects of PSG, you can apply them also to the keyboard, which will help it all make a lot more sense. Pianos/keyboards are great in that they have all the notes in order, and there's only one place to play each of them, i.e., one key=one note. Concepts like how chords are constructed, etc., will be much clearer if you have a keyboard to poke at a bit...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 11:10 am    

I recommend at least one private lesson with a qualified teacher. Then maybe you would have enough information to get started on a self-taught program.

One hour with someone who can show you how to sit at the guitar, how to hold the bar, how to tune, how to fit your picks*, how to pick a string or multiple strings simultaneously, appropriate footwear and how to work the pedals and knee levers, what the fret markers mean, and maybe learn a couple of basic chords —- even if you have to travel an hour one way to get to Pittsburg or Philadelphia to find a qualified person, do it.

*I think it is okay to play bare-fingered, but I suggest at least using a thumb pick.

Maybe there are some players from PA here on the forum who could point you in the right direction.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 12:09 pm    

This book would be a good place to start:

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 2:07 pm    

I have that book and I still work with it. While it has been a big help to me with my decades of experience on guitar, I would not recommend it to a beginner without a teacher, nor to someone with no musical background or experience on other string instruments.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 2:14 pm    

I am surprised that no one mentioned Dewitt Scott's book Deluxe Pedal Steel Guitar Method. Is it a little too advanced ?

Just for the record, I do dabble with the 6 string, but only know enough to hurt myself. I figured if it was assumed that I know nothing , the advice I get from you all would be geared to that, and that is what I am looking for.

I am also going to schedule a lesson with Jim Cohen.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 3:36 pm    

Robert Engel wrote:

Uh, oh...so, you'll need all the help you can get. Razz Razz Laughing

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 3:43 pm    

Jim was recommended by several forum members, and I am looking forward to meeting him.

As far as help goes, I'll take all the help I can get Very Happy

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 3:59 pm    

I was just pokin' fun at Jim. You can't go wrong listening to what Jim tells you. He'll steer you right.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 5:33 pm    

Quote:
I am surprised that no one mentioned Dewitt Scott's book Deluxe Pedal Steel Guitar Method. Is it a little too advanced ?

It would have been mentioned eventually. That book has certainly withstood the test of time.
Quote:

This is better than the first chapters of any lesson book.

The Paul Franklin method is on the way too. It has stirred up quite a bit of interest here.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 9:34 am    

I found the free Joe Wright Lessons on the Sierra Guitar website to be quite helpful, especially his explanation of scales. Tom Bradshaw also offers a free chord book that covers all of the basic chord types and how to play them on e9.