The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence Delta Pro
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 4:04 am    

Anyone using the Eminence Delta Pro-12A for guitar or pedal steel? Eminence sells them as sound reinforcement speakers, but a Google search hits on reviews from people using them as guitar speakers. Would like to hear opinions/experience from anyone using them for guitar, especially pedal steel.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 8:00 am    

Tommy,
I currently use the 15 inch model and it's great for steel. It's really close to the sound of the Evans eclipse speaker and the cone looks identical. I used the 12 inch version several years ago and it was great as well.
Dave

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 4:26 pm     Delta Pro 12A

Tommy,

Ken Fox used this speaker in some of his build and/or amps modified for his customers. People were happy with the results. Do a search and you will see.

Don

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 8:45 am     Eminence Delta Pro 12A

Here is the PDF information on the Delta Pro 12A.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_Pro_12A.pdf

Note the frequency response is higher than some of the other popular steel speakers. In addition, the response seems to be smoother across the frequencies. Having aluminum voice coils versus copper is a nice touch. I'm going to guess these have flat edge-wound aluminum voice coils--better sound qualities for steel.

I like the idea of a cloth surround and think it may be more dependable and last longer than a paper surround. The paper dust cap in the center would no doubt be warmer sounding than an aluminum one.

In all, I think this is a great speaker for steel guitar. The cost seems reasonable as with most Eminence products--good bang for the buck. Finally, Ken Fox wouldn't use/recommend these if they weren't good! I believe he has a good ear for sound!

Don

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 10:30 am     delta pro 12 a

does this come in 12" 4 ohm model?

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 7:31 pm    

I use the Delta 12A. Nice speaker- sounds good. I swapped out the original 12 in my Traynor YGM3

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:53 am     Delta Pro 12A

Clark,

I've heard Eminence is great to work with if you want something special. You might contact them and see if they can make it in a 4-ohm version. The off-the-shelf speaker is only 8 ohm.

By the way, an 8 ohm speaker will work in a 4 ohm amp. There is no problem. Some hear no difference at all in volume. Theoretically, there would be some drop, but people who have done this do not really hear much of a difference. It's hard on the transformer if you run too low of a load--two ohms into a four-ohm transformer. Not much of an issue if you go too high on the ohmage. (I'm no expert, but this is what I have found in my research.)

Do a search on the TT-12 and you will find more on this discussion. Go back a few years...

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 27 Dec 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 9:42 am     4 ohm speakers`

Thank you Don..................cd

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 11:12 am    

Actually never used this speaker in my amp builds. Have used them myself. Pretty much a dead on copy of an EVM-12L by Ekectro-Voice. A killer speaker

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 5:32 pm    

Pint regarding too high a load:

In *most* solid state amps using an 8 ohm speaker where a 4-ohm load is specified is not a problem and will have little affect on the sound. Solid state amps are normally more tolerant of impedance mismatches.

But some tube amps can't handle mismatches of 100% in either direction (i.e. in an amp that wants to "see" 8 ohms, a 4 ohm or 16 ohm load *could* be a problem). Fender tube amps are normally tolerant of mismatches but there are often noticeable differences in volume and frequency response. Most Marshall tube amps are not tolerant at all - most have impedance switches to take care of the issue.

But from a technical standpoint "too high" impedance is worse for most amps than "too low". It depends on the specific amp, but generally, if the impedance is much too high there is the possibility of a phenomenon called "flyback.

It can be compared (VERY loosely - just for illustration purposes) to squeezing the end of a garden hose partially shut and cranking up the pressure.

If there is a weak point in the hose it may blow; if it's fine and the hose bib (think "output transformer") is old *it* may blow. Or a weak point in the water supply (power supply).

Unlikely? Yep. But something to be aware of.

There are simply no logical reasons for speaker impedance mismatches nowadays. It's easy enough to find the right speaker(s) for the right application.

I've observed that those who don't bother with correct speaker impedance also tend to ignore or put off normal service items. They also seem to end up with the most "repairs" & higher overall operating costs.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 5:55 pm     Eminence Delta

I put a Delta Pro in an old Pacer and really like it! I use it as my grab and go steel amp when I have smaller type things, plus a church gig where I don't need 200 watts of face ripping clean power. I almost forgot it wasn't my LTD 400 in the ISO room. What a great speaker. Big and deep, but can still get bright. At least mine does with the Legrande. Not sure how 45 watts would hold up in noisy barroom though. But then that's what LTD is for. In the little Pacer it is serving me well with that speaker in it.

Gary Skelton

Church Hill, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 2:34 am     Delta pro

I have a couple of 12 inch delta pro's for sale.

John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 10:38 am    

I have a question for you guys who have tried the speaker and liked it. What kind of cabinet did you use? Open back? Closed back? Ported?

Thanks,
John