The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a part for a steel guitar leg...
Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 1:52 pm    

Hi all,

I picked up a Sho-Bud Pro II but it needs some work. Right now, I'm looking for two parts for the steel guitar legs: 1) the first is inside the clutch (that tightens the leg's inner tube); there are two washers. The first is a wide split compression sleeve, usually reddish or brown color and the second is a metal washer with a beveled diagonal edge and usually about 3/4" in diameter. This second washer is the one I need. If anyone has any spares or knows of a source, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Also, I need that thread cap for the inner tube (opposite end of the rubber foot on the leg). it is usually a yellow color in Sho-Buds.

I know these are the same parts that appear in most mic stands (like Atlas) but they want to sell me a whole clutch assembly for $30 (and $12 bucks shipping) and all I really need to make the leg work right is a $.50 washer.

Anyway, I hope someone's got one or two of these parts lying around in their idle parts bins.

Thanks,

Bob M.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 10:12 am     leg parts

B0b, I would think you could buy a whole cheap microphone stand at Guitar Center or local music store for much less than $42.00. I bought some last year for $11.00 each. Chinese made but they should have the parts you need. Use the left over parts for other projects.

Bob Metzger

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 10:17 am    

Good idea , Doug, thanks - I'll check that out.

Yeah, harvesting parts from broken, non-working old mic stands is possible. Nowadays, micstands vary alot and some of the diameters are different from the old classic Atlas stands (which most steel guitar legs were derived from).

Bob M.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 1:54 pm    

I just bought two Atlas repair kits from B&H Photo. $20 each and free shipping. Fixed the 36 year old back legs on my Franklin that kept slipping.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185348-REG/atlas_sound_msc_k_clutch_replacement_kit_with.html

Bob Metzger

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 10:48 am    

Thanks, Jack,

Happy Holidays!

Bob M.