The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping Disasters
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 3:23 pm    

Deep scratches on both endplates because the guy I bought it from just sent it in the economy case that came with it. UPS tore the case to smithereens and had it all taped up. Of course when the guitar hit the pavement it scratched it up. If I had not got it so cheap I would have just sent it back and demanded my money back.
Never ship a pedal steel guitar that's not in an expensive heavy duty airline flight case without paying extra for UPS or Fedex to box it and pack it to their specifications for insurance. It's just not worth shipping something so heavy and so delicate any other way.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 3:25 pm    

Gahhh!💀

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 3:49 pm    

The sad thing is, that damage could have mostly been prevented if packed properly. I've shipped heavy items all over the world, and I've NEVER had any serious damage occur, even when the box was all tore up.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:02 pm    

That looks to me like probable damage from the screws that attach the long wall that divides the body compartment of the case from the legs and pedal rods compartment. When the case gets dropped to the ground and the weight of the body tears that wall loose, those screws inevitably dig deep dual scratches in the chrome endplates. Sorry you experienced that. I always bolster that wall at both ends with chunks of wood the fit the legs compartment.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:27 pm    

David, DO NOT trust the UPS Store or FedEx Kinkos/FedEx Office. They are not actual carrier employees, but franchise operations, and if they do not properly prepare the shipment, the carrier (a different company) will not treat it any different than any other inadequately prepared item.
I agree with John on the probable nature of the damage, and I offer commiserations.
Fortunately, a guy with a wheel can probably grind that out.
See Greg Cutshaw's page for proper preparation.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:32 pm    

As Lane suggested, the damage can be ground out, or, I was actually thinking about putting those plates on my mill & creating a custom swirl finish!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:54 pm    

I shipped through UPS store, and I had them box it up, case got destroyed and I got money for the new case, it has nothing to do with a trust, if they box it, they’ll pay for damages , it’s that simple...

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 4:56 pm    

Thanks guys. I will grind them back out but it's a lot of extra work. I had no idea the shipper was not gonna put the case in a box with packing around it. I ship 3 to 4 steels every year and never had one damaged because I don't trust cases to get there in one piece. Back in the 80's while flying valujet from Dallas to West Palm Beach I had a case destroyed that was in a regular steel case. I got it all taped up too. Fortunately the instrument was still intact and I was able to work the rodeo that night. We we're playing thecPCRA rodeo circuit. I've even had dealers just tie a tag on the handle and ship them to me. I guess I'm different. I would rather be safe than sorry. My luck is not as good as others.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 5:00 pm    

btw, that’s how Mullen ships new guitars out, in the cardboard box with handle exposed, that’s how I used to do for a long time as well, never had a problem... I think the trick is in leaving the handle exposed...

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 5:04 pm    

All I know is UPS refuses to insure mine unless the packing meets their specs. I don't have the money backing of Mullen. If someone wants their money back then that leaves me to pay the shipping expenses back plus I now have a guitar that's beat to crap. Not worth it to me. For $35.00 more I don't have to worry about it.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 5:15 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
All I know is UPS refuses to insure mine unless the packing meets their specs. I don't have the money backing of Mullen. If someone wants their money back then that leaves me to pay the shipping expenses back plus I now have a guitar that's beat to crap. Not worth it to me. For $35.00 more I don't have to worry about it.

The problem is that there is NO guarantee that the UPS Storeâ„¢ (company A, a licensee of Company B) will pack up to the standards of UPS's parcel service (Company C).
Should they damage it, and the carrier says it was inadequately prepared, then your recourse isn't with UPS, but rather with your local UPS Store owner.
Yes, some UPS Storesâ„¢ or FedEx Office-formerly FedEx Kinkos) will prep appropriately, but some think that "peanuts are the answer."
If your local cat does right by you, excellent. But system-wide, that advice doesn't hold up.
[/b]

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 5:48 pm    

So who do you take it too? An international airport? UPS trucking center?
Where is the real UPS located?

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 6:26 pm    

David, I believe I’d send those endplates and any other casted aluminum parts to Bud’s Polishing...grinding/sanding cast parts can often end up disastrous and expose pits? I don’t have his contact info, but I know he’s fantastic, reasonable, and generally pretty quick! Best to you!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 6:30 pm    

I'd go to Greg's website and prep it per his suggestion.
I'd also take many pictures of the packaging process to provide proof of the robustity of the package preparation.

Remember that there is almost a 50 percent chance of a steel falling from the carts.
If you know that there is a very good chance of your guitar falling two feet to concrete, you can prepare it.
I'd recommend taking a prepared shipment to a UPS location, and NOT a UPS Store

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 7:48 pm    

Thanks for the info guys! Happy Holidays friends!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 10:06 am    

David, your FB and your SGF don't mention where you are, but I THINK I remember you as being in or near Tyler.
There's a UPS Customer Center at
740 S. Lyons

This is actually UPS and not UPS Store.

I'm having difficulty finding a non-franchised FedEx customer location.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 11:34 am    

Thanks Lane! Yes I'm in Tyler. I'll use that one on Lyons next time and see how it goes.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 11:08 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
David, I believe I’d send those endplates and any other casted aluminum parts to Bud’s Polishing...grinding/sanding cast parts can often end up disastrous and expose pits? I don’t have his contact info, but I know he’s fantastic, reasonable, and generally pretty quick! Best to you!

Bud's Polishing
Doug Moss
4513 Circle Drive
Pegram, TN 37143
615-513-9238

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 12:45 pm    

yeah! Get it to Doug Moss. He's done a couple for me, and they come out perfect!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 12:52 pm    

Thanks friends! Great info!