The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Autumn Leaves Thread
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 2:05 pm    

Some of you may remember that, years ago, Jerry Gleason and I did a fun little project of improvising four bar exchanges on "Autumn Leaves".
The subject came up again this week, and I referenced the old thread (from the olde forum). When Jerry saw it, he dredged up the old sound files which accompanied the section tabs, and they are now active again. Thank you Jerry.

Here are the links:

The Head of Autumn Leaves:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000104.html

Notes on the four bar exchanges:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000105.html

The Four Bar Exchanges, with tab and sound files:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000106.html

-John

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 4:46 pm    

This, is such good stuff. Hope to see more like this. John, how would I serarch for your old links in The Forum without knowing the name of certain tunes. I serached under your name but did not find many tabs and I know you many many prior to 2006. Thanks, steve t

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 5:39 pm    

THANKS FOR YOU CONTRIBUTION JOHN

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 3:15 pm    

I'm unable to access the sound files:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~gleasonj/Autumn/al9-12.WAV on this server.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 3:52 pm    

Mike Selecky wrote:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~gleasonj/Autumn/al9-12.WAV on this server.

Maybe you have to be logged into the old forum to access them. I'm not a member of the old forum so I have no way to check

steve takacs

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 8:29 pm    

I'd love to have those too as it was as great post by John and Jerry.

I must be doing something wrong I tried to access them on the old Forum and got the same message as did Mike.

If it is not too much trouble, perhaps Jerry could re-post the Autumn Leaves sound files on the Forum we use now, the new new Forum, as a new thread; maybe they will work.
Stevet

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 3:34 am    

If not, I will record it myself and post them Steve, first I need to get through without making mistakes :P

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 7:42 am    

Mike Selecky wrote:

Forbidden

Quentin Hickey wrote:
Maybe you have to be logged into the old forum to access them. I'm not a member of the old forum so I have no way to check

No, that message is coming from the server at darkwing.uoregon.edu. The permissions on the file or the directory aren't set correctly.

Test here, same problem: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~gleasonj/Autumn/al5-8.wav

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 8:16 am    

I dug them out of the bottom of the database and reformatted them with the [tab] BBCode tag.

The Head of Autumn Leaves:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43238

Notes on the four bar exchanges:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43233

The Four Bar Exchanges, with tab and sound files:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43332

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 8:00 pm    

John Steele, it is good to see you here on the forum...it seems to me its been a long time ! We used to put up some tabs of "standards" and it was fun..."one note samba" was one of them...haha. I remember meeting you in the elevator in St Louis years ago...hope you are doing well !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 9:21 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
John Steele, it is good to see you here on the forum...it seems to me its been a long time ! We used to put up some tabs of "standards" and it was fun..."one note samba" was one of them...haha. I remember meeting you in the elevator in St Louis years ago...hope you are doing well !

Um, Larry... I hate to burst your bubble but if you look above, you'll see that John's last contribution to this thread was made in Jan. 2009... He's been absent for almost 8 years...

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 4:51 am    

duhhhh,,,, i wasnt very observant....thanks for pointing that out Jim....hmmmm well I hope John is ok.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

steve takacs

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 7:07 am    

Has anyone saved the sound files for these which can be redone in a way we can access them and tack them onto the tab for the sections of "Autumn Leaves"? Thanks, Steve

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 3:53 am    

I just discovered this ancient thread, resurrected last year, while searching for something else. If anyone is really interested in this, I still have the sound files for the links in the first post in this thread, which are no longer on the linked server.

This was quite a trip down memory lane, and Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm amazed that it lives on. Some context here- The original thread goes back to 1999, when digital recording at the consumer level was primitive, at best. As such, be aware that the sound quality of some of these files is very poor. I think I had to record my short .WAV files (no Mp3รขโ‚ฌโ„ขs back then) at 8-bit, 22k resolution, so as to make them accessible via the dial-up internet connections that were the norm in those days. Audio interfaces for computers were uncommon, too. I had some kind of sound card then, but I think John S. was still trying to figure it out with a basic low quality voice microphone.

Communication in the steel guitar world was very limited in those days, too, so this kind of information sharing was more of a big deal then than it would be now. The idea of steel guitars trading fours on a jazz tune and tabbing it out was quite a novelty at that time. We were all just excited to figure out some of the cool things we could do with this new internet / Word Wide Web thingy. Now, having said all that, if anyone is still interested in the sound files that go with the tab, here ya go. Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm not going to attempt to fix the links, but if you want to reconstruct it, the file names indicate which measures they refer to.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/183Jly0E9HKQsAjeaAdNemd7PlYn6z8eH?usp=sharing

John Steele, where you at?

- Jerry

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 5:36 am    

Thanks Jerry! I've downloaded this. Into the file of things that I really really mean to get around to digging into. Really.

Autumn Leaves has a special love/hate resonance because I had a teacher (piano) in the early 70's who had me work this tune for 3 months in all 12 keys. You don't learn to love something that way. But you sure do ingest it. if nothing else, it's a twofive etude.

I stumbled across a sighting of John on FB recently and was glad to see that he seemed alive & well.