The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don Buzard revisited..
bob grossman

Visalia CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2002 11:36 am    

I provided a relative of Don's with a picture taken at the 1977 St. Louis convention. I had heard about his talent, but that you sort of had to go where he was to hear him. Like someone said in an earlier post, he must have received his inspiration from outer space. He showed this in his set at St. Louis.

Does anyone have any photos of him taken in years earlier than 1977.

It would seem that he was one of the great steel guitar talents of all time, up there with Wayne Gailey and Vance Terry.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2002 12:44 pm    

Dck meis knew Don pretty well-and has a lot of info on him as I recall-

john

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2002 10:04 pm    

This is just a bump for the most part.But I had the pleasure of hearing Don in 1976.He was here visiting a follow band member from his Judy Lynn days.His friend had been telling me about Don.I went to see and hear for myself.Man, could this guy play.If I remember correctly he played a D-13 BMI.Don was really in his own world with his thinking.Blew my mind.It's a shame that as great as he was.He was for the most part unknown to the steel guitar world. bb

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2002 8:13 am    

Bobby,I think Don was well known too the steele world,he was just too far ahead of his time and too set in his ways.You are right about his being able too play.I met Don when he played at "Europe at Night", right across the street from my house in East Mesa AZ.Listened too him many nights.At that time he was playing a D-13 ZB.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2002 8:51 am    

When I lived in Denver in the 60s I heard a lot about Donny Buzzard, but never saw him until some time later, when he was in town, at the Frontier Club in Minneapolis, He had a ZB type guitar,& played with no reverb. at the time, I think he was working with Doyle Holly, He was at one time, married to a gal I know, by the name of Lynda Lou Riley, who was quite a steel player, She had a band called, "The Texas Playgirls" I saw them about 20 yrs ago, also here in Minneapolis, = Al Udeen

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2002 3:33 pm    

Bobby, you mention Don working with Judy Lynn, do you have any idea whenabouts that was?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2002 8:50 pm    

Jason.
I think it was Judy Lynn.And in the early to mid 60's.This was all before my time.I've never even heard Judy Lynn.Only about her. bb

Tom Mortensen

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2002 5:56 am    

I knew Don Buzzard from the 70,s when he was living in the Phoenix area.
He played steel on a 1977 Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown record "Blackjack" that has recently been re-released.

------------------
tombleu.com

Mitch Daniels

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2002 5:53 pm    

Bob, that was me that you sent the picture to..Thank you!! I will try to return the favor by digging up some old pictures of Donny and sending them to you.
Some of us who knew him well, have jokingly discussed a biography, but it would have to be fiction, because nobody would believe it.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2002 10:05 am    

I met Don Buzzard at the Frontier Club in Minneapolis in 1973. He was on the road with George Kent out of Nashville. He was still playing a D-10 Domland Guitar at this time. Don left George Kent's band after a one week engagement and joined a Jazz group at a new jazz club in downtown Minneapolis called
"Taffy's."

Six years earlier(1967), Don played a gig in Mankato,Mn. He was on the road with Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown at that time.

Roger

Ivan Goldstein

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 11:25 am     Don Buzard with Amazing Mcnasty band on YouTube

https://youtu.be/7t46hFxYK2k
Just found this